Chapter 12

Living Under the Same Roof with a Jock

  Hyosung sighed as she sat down in her bed on  Wednesday night, exactly one week after she had first moved into her new living residence. Although the Lee’s were really nice and the house was pretty cheerful, for the most part, she could say her life was pretty bland. She envied how Kikwang seemed to never be empty of a group of friends surrounding him. She hated how she came home right on time everyday while Kikwang arrived hours later, tired from hanging out with friends and playing sports everyday. Even during the weekend, his schedule seemed to be filled with lots to do which mostly consisted of basketball, socializing in groups and dates. She felt so... Lame next to him. It was as if she had no life. All she did was sit in her room all day with the door closed all the way, aware of the fact that a teeneager dwelled in the room right in front of hers.  
But what would that matter? He treated her as if she was invisible, not even there. He had even stopped bothering to wait for her to finish eating breakfast  so they could go to the bus stop together after day two, protesting to his mom that he had places to be. Even the fact that he seemed to have a meeting time so early in the morning everyday made her feel bweh next to him. ‘Where does he even go?’ she wondered but quickly answered the question assuming that he met up to do more socializing with the “in” crowd. But being able to wake up slightly later and be able to eat her breakfast slowly and sufficiently was a nice benefit. At least she could silently laugh in her head at his disadvantage of having to rush down his breakfast in what looked like, huge, uncomfortable swallows. Well, who was she kidding? He looked hot while even doing that, with his Adam’s apple in motion and all.
Her computer made a loud beeping noise. She looked down at her laptop with a smile at her face, content with the instant message from her pen pal.

Darknite106: Hey, you still there?!
Weirdgirl207: Ya, I am, Just was thinking of how boring my life is. All I do is sit in my room and either study or use the computer all day... I’m so antisocial!
She ranted to her online friend whom she met through Wattpad, the website which provided her with a sanctuary. It was where she got lost into the amazing stories written by talented authors and sometimes uploaded her own as well from time to time, inspired from the different works she read. People were really quite friendly there as well.
Darknite106: Ha ha, no ur not! If you really were antisocial, then would we be talking right now?
 She smiled at his attempt on making her feel better which worked. Whoever this guy was behind the screen, he really had a way with words.
Weirdgirl207: Thnx. But I feel as if my life is so empty... Like as if I could be doing much more than I am now.
Darknite106: Yeah, you can. It’s a big world out there meaning opportunities everywhere.
Weirdgirl207: Wow, you sound so mature! Like you lived a long and experienced life or something. How old are you?
Darknite106: Wow, you make me sound so old... But I’m not a grandpa or anything I assure you. :p
Weirdgirl207: Lol, so how old are you?
Darknite106: Why so eager to know? And guess :p
Weirdgirl207: Idk... I just want to know and Umm... 57?
Darknite106: Wtf?! I sound that old?!
Weirdgirl207: Umm... 48?
Darknite106: Wow... Big difference -_-
Weirdgirl207: Sorry! It’s just that you sound so wise...
Darknite106: Heh heh. It’s ok :) Now one last guess
Weirdgirl207: Erm, 29?
Darknite106: You know, if you had to guess to save your life, I’m sure you’d die.
Weirdgirl207:  -_______-
Darknite106: :p
Weirdgirl207: So how old are you?
Darknite106: 17 xD
Weirdgirl207: Wow, that young?! I would have never guessed with the way you talk.
She had been converging with this guy whom she never met for a while now, and was awed by how thoughtful he could be despite his age.
Darknite106: What’s so surprising about me being 17?
Weirdgirl207: Idk... It’s just that most guys I meet your age are pretty obnoxious and well... Just bweh.
Darknite106: Heh. What kind of adjective is bweh?
Weirdgirl207: Idk... But you get what I’m saying!
Darknite106: Yeah well, not all guys are what they seem you know. Anyways, you still haven’t told me how old you are :p
Weirdgirl207: Oh yeah... Guess! I’m not gonna make it easy for you :p
Darknite106: Darn. Should have seen this coming and umm... 14?
Weirdgirl207: What, that young?!
Darknite106:  Ooh, so I go up from here? Umm... 15? And yeah, you sound like some preteen or something :p
Weirdgirl207: Wow... Big difference, by 1 year. And no :p One last chance.
Darknite106: Uhh 16?
Weirdgirl207: How come you won’t leave the teenage range?
Darknite106: Cuz you sound like one. A real, typical teenage girl with those teenage problems of hers :p
Weirdgirl207: :/
Darknite106: Unless you’re a real immature 20 something year old...
Weirdgirl207: lol, and no, I’m not.
Darknite106:  So am I right, heh?
Weirdgirl207:  Yah...
Darknite106:  Hah! I guessed it right xD
Weirdgirl207:  ><
Darknite106: I’m so good at this :p
Weirdgirl207:  Yah so... It took you 3 tries!
Darknite106: At least I got it! You didn’t get it at all :p
Weirdgirl207:  So... It’s just guessing >< And plus, you sound too mature for a guy your age.
Darknite106: Wow, if this is mature to you, then damn, I wonder what kind of guys you stick around.
Weirdgirl207: I don’t really hang out with guys... :/
Darknite106: No wonder
Weirdgirl207::/
Darknite106: :P So anyways, back to your typical teenage problems. If you’re really that bored with your life, why don’t you join some clubs or something? I mean, you're probably in High School so there’s got to be clubs there, right?
Weirdgirl207: Geeze, you make me sound like I’m the only teenager here >< And yeah, there’s clubs. But to just join out of nowhere?
Darknite106: You gotta be brave! It’ll be worth it. Trust me :D
Weirdgirl207: Which one should I join?
Darknite106: Whatever you like and enjoy doing or else staying back after school for something you don’t like is just... bweh.
Weirdgirl207: Hey! You used my adjective :p Kk, I’ll try finding something I like.
Darknite106: :D I’m like the best problem solver ever xD
Weirdgirl207: Pshh... Never!
Darknite106: Well, what did I do just now?
Weirdgirl207: We’re not sure if my problem is completely solved yet... :p
Darknite106: Yah well, you better go get yourself in some club and talk to people there so I can prove you right, kay?
Weirdgirl207: Fine... But that still doesn’t mean you're the best :p
Darknite106: We’ll see about that. If it does work out for u, u better start calling me Super Darknite :p

Weirdgirl207: Wtf, that sounds so cheesy!
Darknite106: :p Yah so anyways, I gtg. Bye.
Weirdgirl207: Oh... ok, cya.
Suddenly, she stopped herself from clicking the close button.
Wait!
Darknite106: Huh?
Weirdgirl207: Are we... Going to ever talk again?
Darknite106:Lol, that into me huh?
Weirdgirl207: NO!
             Just wondering...
Darknite106: Well idk but pretty soon cuz I got to get updated on how that club thing is going rite? To prove to u that I’m really a super hero :p
Weirdgirl207: In that case... Let’s never talk again then -_-
Darknite106: We’ll see about that :p
            Kk by now. I really gtg :/
And with that, he was logged out within a second. Hyosung didn’t know why but she was feeling all giddy inside. Taking a glance at the ticking clock in front of her propped up on the wall, she felt her eyes almost leap out of their sockets. It was almost 7:30! She hadn’t realized that she’d been talking to this guy for over an hour. Not wanting to get out of her daily schedule any further, she grabbed her towel and other beauty supplies to head for the bathroom, hoping to finish up just in time for dinner.
Humming to the tune of SNSD’S Oh!, she closed her bedroom door behind her and then made her way toward the bathroom with a smile on her face when she almost bumped into a figure in front of her. It was no other than the High Schooler whom she was starting to despise, standing there before her with sweat dripping down his face as he held a basketball. He was wearing basketball shorts and a jersey and his hair was drenched in sweat as well so she assumed that he just came back from practice.
She was about to move aside so he can go through when his words stopped her.
“What happened?” he asked.
“Huh?” she asked, overwhelmed with sheerly his voice. It had been days since he had actually said something to her, making it obvious that he was indifferent towards her.
“Why are you like that?”he locked his eyes on hers while she strained to keep her neck tilted up.
“What do you mean...?” she asked, confused as to what he was saying. She didn’t realize how close they were until the smell of his body odor mixed with cologne reached her nose.  
He narrowed his eyes  a bit before dismissing the moment by saying, “Never mind...” and breaking the eye contact, searching for leeway. Noticing this, she made space for him by moving to the side while he crept through the space, with his arm brushing on the side of hers before entering his room.
She walked into the bathroom feeling dazed. What did he mean why am I like that? She looked into the reflection of the mirror and saw a girl with two ponytails in it. Her eyes had a lively look in them and she had this perky vibe radiating from her. Is that why? The only time she was nearly this upbeat was when she was with Ji Eun but rarely like this at home. Most of the time, she just sat down all quiet and curled up with a book in the corner. To add on... She was humming a tune to a happy song as well... Why am I so like this anyway? Maybe it was merely listening to SNSD’s Oh! that is making me feel so upbeat... Or maybe I just really am that joyous after talking to the guy who goes by Darknite106 on Wattpad. He was pretty fun to talk to after all.
She stripped off her clothes and stepped into the shower stall, wanting to cool her head.
It angered her that he would get so surprised with the mere fact that she was smiling... What the freak?! Is it really that rare to see her in a good mood? A smirk reached across her face. Hmm... You’re not the only one who could have a social life you know? Once I start joining some groups and begin meeting people... I’ll be like this everyday and you won’t be the only one coming home late.
She felt determined to turn her life around and become more involved. She was sick of being what he called a ‘nobody’ all the time.