Chapter 9 - Almost

First, Admit Defeat

“You need to stop acting,” Kyuhyun stated directly, staring straight into Sungmin's fox like eyes.

 

“Well, it's nice seeing you too.”

 

“No, it's really not,” Kyuhyun replied, “Yesung wanted me to talk to you, seems like he knows something that I don't, and he wants me to know.”

 

“He could have told you himself,” Sungmin shrugged.

 

“If you knew him better, you would know that he doesn't disclose others information.”

 

“Is that so?” Sungmin replied simply.

 

“Well?” Kyuhyun pushed, “Are you going to tell me, or do I have to-”

 

“Have to what?” Sungmin asked with  grinning eyes.

 

Kyuhyun literally swallowed his words and shook his head, “leave and return to my studying.”

 

“You're no fun,” Sungmin pouted, “we didn't finish our conversation last time, they're kind of connected.”

 

“Last time?” Kyuhyun asked, squinting his eyes in thought.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun, can't you even try to remember things that happen between us?” Sungmin asked angrily. “Ice cream shop, with Eunhyuk-sshi.”

 

“I don't know. Maybe if you were cuter, nicer or more interesting then I could at least make an effort to, but you're not.”

 

Sungmin threw his hand in the air, aiming it at Kyuhyun but Kyuhyun caught it. “What? Don't like being told you're not cute? But it's the truth.”

 

“Cho Kyuhyun!” Sungmin shouted, but cowering as soon as he realized everyone in the library was watching him.

 

“Lee Sungmin!” Kyuhyun impersonated, “Let's just get on with the conversation.”

 

Sungmin shook his arm free of Kyuhyun's grasp, “we were talking about how I went missing.”

 

“Ohh, right, I remember. You called me heartless,” Kyuhyun shrugged.

 

“I did not!”

 

“Who did, then? Did I call myself heartless?”

 

“Be serious!” Sungmin scolded, frowning.

 

“It's hard to be serious when I'm with you, you make me want to throw my brain in the gutter,” Kyuhyun coldly replied.

 

“Well, you make me want to hang myself!” Sungmin retorted, folding his arms on his chest.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, “I'm really not interested in talking this out with you, but Yesung hyung kept insisting. I thought it might be urgent or important, but it seems like I'm just wasting my time.”

 

Sungmin lowered his head trying to hide is sad expression after hearing those words, “is speaking to me really that much of a torture? You told me it wasn't my fault. Why do you hate me so much?”

 

Kyuhyun looked at the fuming Sungmin and took a deep breath, “I don't hate you.”

 

“Then why do you dislike talking to me?”

 

“No reason,” Kyuhyun replied.

 

“I just don't matter to you, do I? Even if I told you during the days I went missing I became an , a desperate one who served anyone willing to be served, it wouldn't matter,” Sungmin scolded, fighting back his anger.

 

Kyuhyun took another deep breath while furrowing his brows. He wanted to tell Sungmin to clarify his words, but he couldn't muster up the energy. He released his breath and turned his gaze outside the window.

 

“Yesung-sshi found me in the documents at the club his family owns, an club,” Sungmin started to clarify, “he remembered me. He said I was the one of the few male escorts willing to serve male clients.”

 

“Is that so?” Kyuhyun stated, clenching his fists. “Why did you do that?”

 

Sungmin shook his head, “I don't know.”

 

“You don't know?” Kyuhyun asked, “You don't know why you were willing to taint yourself like that? Or you don't know why you went missing in the first place? Maybe you don't know why you wanted to serve men? Perhaps you don't know why you're the way you are? You should have just stayed with the old man.”

 

“That's right, I don't know the answer to any of the questions,” Sungmin angrily replied, “but maybe you do, Kyuhyun.”

 

“Me? Why would I know?” Kyuhyun laughed.

 

They were both irritated to the max.

 

“Because you're an unreasonable fool,” Sungmin insulted.

 

“Better than being an irrational fool,” Kyuhyun retorted, crossing his arms.

 

“You!”

 

“What? I'm just stating the truth. I'm really starting to suspect your whole amnesia act, did you really lose your memory?” Kyuhyun asked coldly. He didn't understand why he was being so heartless towards Sungmin, but he did it on purpose. It was similar to the feeling of not wanting to lose.

 

Tears began forming in Sungmin's eyes, he bit his lip until it started bleeding. He wasn't going to let Kyuhyun see him cry.

 

“Quit it, your lip's bleeding,” Kyuhyun said, his heart aching.

 

Sungmin ignored him and continued biting harder.

 

“I said stop, look at you!”

 

The more he tried to stop Sungmin, the harder Sungmin bit on his lip.

 

“Lee Sungmin, I said stop!” Kyuhyun shouted, reaching across the table and tugging on Sungmin's arm, pulling him closer. Sungmin glared at him.

 

“What are you glaring at? I said stop biting on your lip, look at you! You're bleeding.”

 

“Why do you care?” Sungmin asked, his bottom lip barely moving due to the pain.

 

“I don't,” Kyuhyun said while he rubbed Sungmin's bottom lip with his thumb, his eyes full of care and his hand that was grasping Sungmin's arms becoming a very gentle hold.

 

“It's good to try to be strong, Min, but when it gets to the point where you hurt yourself it's just stupid,” Kyuhyun lectured, “you're the older one, shouldn't you know this?”

 

Sungmin shook his head causing Kyuhyun to laugh, “well, now you do.”

 

Their faces were very close together, they could feel each others breath blowing against their cheeks. Their hearts started to race, while their cheeks were reddening.

 

“Do you really think that I'm just faking the amnesia, Kyuhyun?” Sungmin asked, his eyes tearing up again.

 

Kyuhyun returned to his seat, Sungmin took hold of Kyuhyun's hand after he released his grasp on Sungmin's arm.

 

Kyuhyun almost gave in to Sungmin's hurt look and tearing eyes but quickly straightened himself up and returned to his cold nature, “I don't know, Sungmin-sshi, I really don't know anymore.”