Sooner or Later

First, Admit Defeat

“Are you an idiot?”

 

Kyuhyun walked away from Sungmin, rejecting Sungmin's pleading for Kyuhyun to meet with their father one last time.

 

“Come on, Kyuhyun, just one last time.”

 

“No, Min, he's not even really my dad so there's not reason for me to go see him,” Kyuhyun stated, flinging Sungmin's arm off.”

 

“He will be,” Sungmin said.

 

“What?” Kyuhyun asked frowning.

 

“Nothing, come on, you should see him one last time and talk things through,” Sungmin tried to convince with no avail.

 

Kyuhyun ignored him and kept walking.

 

“Kyuhyun,” Sungmin sighed, Kyuhyun stopped and turned towards Sungmin, pulling Sungmin into his arms.

 

“No means no, Min,” Kyuhyun said with a sly look, “I'm not going, all I have towards that man is guilt and sympathy, for something I didn't do.”

 

Sungmin broke free as Kyuhyun turned to walk again, “exactly, you didn't do anything, so you should see him.”

 

“You're crazy,” Kyuhyun laughed.

 

“That's why you love me,” Sungmin added.

 

Kyuhyun stopped to turn to Sungmin again, “say what?”

 

Sungmin shook his head, “nothing.”

 

“You said I love you?” Kyuhyun asked with a lopsided grin, “aren't you a bit too confident?”

 

Sungmin reached up an pecked Kyuhyun on the cheek, “no, not at all.”

 

Kyuhyun was frozen in place.

 

Yesung and Kibum approached them, “did we just see what we saw? Or are we both getting a little too old?”

 

Kyuhyun blushed and cleared his throat, “it was all him, I can't help that I'm attractive.”

 

Kibum punched Kyuhyun in the arm, “it seems both of you are over confident.”

 

“Aish,” Kyuhyun sighed, “how long have you two been around?”

 

“Long enough,” Yesung laughed. “It's good to see the two of you have sorted out your differences.”

 

Sungmin shook his head, “not entirely.”

 

Yesung and Kibum nodded, “he's a stubborn one.”

 

“Speak for yourself,” Kyuhyun frowned, “and it takes two to make a situation, one person can't do anything alone.”

 

Kibum turned to Sungmin, “I can't say I agree, but I can't disagree either.”

 

Sungmin shook his head, “he doesn't know what he's talking about, but it's OK, he's Kyuhyun, he never knows that he's doing.”

 

“Didn't hear you say that last night,” Kyuhyun purposely teased with a smirk in front of Yesung and Kibum. The two stood shocked with their eyes wide open.

 

“Last night?” Yesung uttered.

 

“What?” Kibum asked, pushing and pulling Kyuhyun by the arm.

 

Sungmin blushed hard and shut his eyes tight, he didn't want to face this embarrassing situation, it was too much for him right now. “Nothing, nothing happened,” he tried to explain.

 

Kyuhyun just shrugged and got up, “nothing he says, we'll just stick with that answer.” Kyuhyun rustled Sungmin's hair as he left for the vending machine near by, Kibum followed him.

 

“He's cute,” Kibum whispered into Kyuhyun's ears, “almost too cute for you.”

 

Kyuhyun looked at Kibum, who had a wide smile on his face, “that's what he wants you to think, he's actually very scary.”

 

“Oh really? How so?” Kibum asked full of curiosity.

 

Kyuhyun stopped in front of the vending machine and thought to himself for a while, “he... he's got a passive outlook, large eyes and tender lips but sometimes his words are like thorns. He's got a gentle personality, but sometimes actions that he unconsciously takes can really hurt. He makes you want to take care of him, but scolds you for it. He'll lay in your arms, but wake up with a cold attitude. He'll hold you in his arms, and then push you to do something you really don't want to do. He knows how to act, and he'll lie to get you to do what he wants. He always thinks that he cant get what he wants.”

 

At that, Kyuhyun sighed a shook his head as he entered some coins into the machine. Kibum tilted his head in thought as he watched Kyuhyun and turned back to Yesung and Sungmin. Sungmin was smiling energetically.

 

“So, he's like a child,” Kibum blurted with his arms crossed, “almost.”

 

“You can put it that way, but children are a lot less hazardous,” Kyuhyun laughed.

 

“But you want him,” Kibum added, peering over at Kyuhyun, “you want him in your arms, you want to take care of him, you want to protect him, you want him to speak to you, play with you and look only at you. No matter how much it hurts.”

 

“I didn't say that,” Kyuhyun stated monotonously.

 

“No, but you were thinking it,” Kibum said victoriously. “Kyu, I can tell you want him. It's written all over your face. I thought it was weird the first time we spoke to him and you left immediately after, he kept staring at your departing figure with this look on his face. He wants you too.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Take him then,” Kibum urged.

 

“I will.”

 

“When?” Kibum asked, almost angry.

 

“Sooner or later,” Kyuhyun replied as he started back.

 

“Well, it better be sooner than later, he can't wait forever.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded, “I know.”

 

Sungmin and Yesung both invited Kyuhyun and Kibum with a smile, the warmest welcome they could have had. Kyuhyun sat by Sungmin and wrapped an arm over his shoulders, sharing his drink through the single straw. It was an indirect kiss, one that reminded both of them of their happiest moments together.

 

Perhaps their happiest moments resided in those memories that they shared ever since they were children, but it wouldn't end there. Sooner or later, better yet, sooner than later, Kyuhyun would be sure to create even more beautiful memories with Lee Sungmin. Lee Sungmin, the pretty but thorn bearing, gentle yet hazardous, lovable yet hateful, Lee Sungmin. He was the one and only Lee Sungmin for the cold and sarcastic Cho Kyuhyun.