Chapter 2 - Near Perfect

First, Admit Defeat

“I always hate this day of the week,” Eunhyuk complained.

 

“Oh, it up,” Yesung scolded, throwing a book at Eunhyuk, “we all hate it.”

 

Kibum flipped the pages of the textbook that Kyuhyun handed him, “I really don't understand why we have to spend at least one day of the week in this library,” he sadly sighed, pouting.

 

Yesung suddenly caught sight of Sungmin, who sat down in an alley of books with several textbooks in his arms. He gathered everyone's attention and pointed towards Sungmin, “doesn't he remind you guys of someone?”

 

They all shook their head and shrugged, “nope.”

 

“Weird, he really reminds me of someone,” Yesung said, “it's really bothering me.”

 

“What are you guys talking about?” asked Donghae, who approached them. Donghae looked into the direction that the rest of them were peering at, “Sungmin-sshi?”

 

“Hyung said that kid reminds him of someone,” Eunhyuk replied, making space for Donghae.

 

“He's the son of some big business, maybe you've seen him in papers? Oh wait, you don't read.”

 

Yesung threw another book at Donghae, “shut it.”

 

“You talked to him?” asked Kyuhyun.

 

“A little bit, that first day he came to class. He seemed to know the test material really well, so we talked about it a bit,” Donghae replied, taking a seat.

 

“Really? It's nice you got someone to cheat off of,” Kyuhyun teased.

 

“Did not, I'm all skills!” Donghae countered, “He was kind enough to talk to me while you and Yesung hyung were busy isolating me.”

 

“You should tell Bum and Hyuk to join our class, then the three of you can fail together,” Yesung teased.

 

“Thanks, but no thanks,” Eunhyuk rejected, throwing his book onto the table, “I can't even make myself read a book like this.”

 

“Hae, you should introduce him to the rest of us, he looks awfully lonely,” Kibum suggested, shoving Donghae out of his seat.

 

“Why? I don't know him that well,” Donghae said, trying to shove Kibum away, “you go.”

 

“I don't know him at all, he might think I'm trying to hit on him,” Kibum laughed, “go!”

 

The rest of the boys looked at Donghae with expecting eyes, “fine.”

 

Donghae walked over to Sungmin and kneel-ed next to him, they shared several words before Sungmin turned to the table of boys. The boys waved at him and smiled.

 

“For a group of boys who are a lot like a gang, we sure are cute,” Eunhyuk laughed, holding out his cell phone to take photos of the smiling boys.

 

Kibum stole the phone and deleted the pictures, “you're right, it's disgusting.”

 

Eventually Donghae returned with Sungmin, “alright, here he is.”

 

They all introduced themselves to Sungmin, who tried really hard to be extremely polite and maintain a smile.

 

“Relax, we won't bite,” Kibum said, “well, I don't know about Eunhyuk, but the rest of us won't.”

 

“Seriously, look at those teeth,” Kyuhyun teased, grabbing  Eunhyuk by the cheeks, “and what was Eunhyuk's nickname back in the days? Anchovy?”

 

“Shut up!” Eunhyuk scolded, pushing Kyuhyun away, “you weren't much better off,” he countered.

 

“Actually, he was,” Yesung defended, “he was always popular.”

 

“Ugh, you're right,” Eunhyuk reluctantly agreed, “guys near perfect.”

 

“Near? I am perfect,” Kyuhyun stated confidently.

 

The rest of the boys started making disagreeing noises.

 

“Don't be jealous,” Kyuhyun laughed.

 

Sungmin was finally loosening up and started to laugh along with the others. Somehow, these boys were setting him at ease, more than what would be considered safe.

 

Time swept by quickly, as they boys joked and goofed around they managed to pinch in a little bit of studying.

 

Yesung suddenly turned to Kyuhyun in the middle of their horsing around with a serious air, “Kyu.”

 

Looking out the window at Yesung's cue, several men were standing outside staring straight at the group of boys. “I'll be right back,” Kyuhyun said, striding towards the exit.

 

Donghae and Kibum stood up, wanting to follow after Kyuhyun, but Yesung motioned for them to return to their seats, “leave it.”

 

The men seemed familiar to Sungmin, he was sure he'd seen them before.

 

“Is Kyu gonna be alright?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“Do you think those men can even touch him?” Yesung joked, “Guys got some legs.”

 

Kibum angrily scowled under his breath, “I don't get it, we never get to be involved with anything when it comes to Kyuhyun, why is he trying to be so secretive?”

 

“I'm sure Yesung hyung knows, but he won't tell us anything, his lips are more than just glued together when it comes to Kyu,” Donghae protested.

 

“It's been so long, maybe we should go check if he's alright,” Eunhyuk suggested.

 

Yesung looked at his watch, “it's been less than three minutes, Eun, take a chill pill.”

 

They all sat nervously waiting for Kyuhyun to return. No matter how independent and strong Kyuhyun made himself out to be, the boys could never stop worrying about him, he was the youngest of them after all.

 

They tried to joke around a bit, relaxing themselves, but nothing was working. Even Sungmin was affected by the tense air.

 

“Do any of you need help with any of this?” Sungmin asked, pointing at the books thrown all over the table. Sungmin was trying to get their mind off of the absent Kyuhyun.

 

Minutes passed and soon after it was hours, Kyuhyun never appeared.

 

“Ok, that's it. Let's go,” Donghae announced, preparing to dash out of the library.

 

Yesung caught his arm and pulled him back, shaking his head at Donghae.

 

“Hyung, it's been nearly three hours,” Donghae complained, “what if they did something to Kyu? What if he's hurt?”

 

Yesung sighed and looked at the rest of the boys, Sungmin excluded, who were all standing and ready to take off, “it's not something he wants us to be involved in.”

 

Donghae angrily shook Yesung off, Eunhyuk pulled Donghae back.

 

“He's nothing near perfect.”