Chapter 5 - Meeting Mom

First, Admit Defeat

“Oh, come on,” Kyuhyun shouted, rolling his eyes with his hands on his waist, “seriously?”

 

The boys stood frozen stiff at Kyuhyun's doorstep, afraid to take another step closer to the door. They dressed in the nicest clothes they had, wanting to impress his parents.

 

“Did you guys really have to dress like this? You all look like idiots,” Kyuhyun scolded, “you don't want her to like you, I swear.”

 

Yesung and Sungmin, the only two who dressed casually and maintained their original character, tried to help calm Kyuhyun as the rest rubbed their heads in confusion.

 

“I told you this wasn't going to work out right if you didn't collect them one by one,” Yesung stated matter-of-factly.

 

“I don't have the time! I have to make sure my mom doesn't go and do crazy things... like cook!” Kyuhyun said, banging his head against the door, “come in.”

 

Yesung and Sungmin stepped in quietly as Donghae, Eunhyuk and Kibum followed closely behind.

 

“I've never met a parent before, especially in such a nice place,” Kibum exclaimed.

 

“Let me warn you, don't flatter her, it'll make her like you,” Kyuhyun warned.

 

“Why do you make it sound so bad to be on her good side?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“She'll stick to you like glue, and she's into some scary business,” Kyuhyun replied, leading them through a long hallway.

 

Kyuhyun stopped in front of a door and knocked, “Yumi, my friends are over, you want to come out and meet them?”

 

“Yumi? Your mom?” Donghae asked.

 

“No, my moms name is nothing near as cute as Yumi,” Kyuhyun joked, “Yumi, hurry up.”

 

The noise of items falling onto the ground could be heard, “ouch! Oppa, wait!”

 

“Take your time, we'll wait for you in the dining room.”

 

They continued down the hallway again, stopping in front of another room.

 

“Sora, oppa has guests over, meet us in the dining room,” Kyuhyun stated again before moving on.

 

“Exactly how many people are you going to introduce to us?” Yesung asked.

 

“Just three,” Kyuhyun laughed. They finally arrived at the dining room, his mom was already waiting for them inside.

 

“Legendary five... plus one!” Kyuhyun's mother greeted. She was dressed nicely, everything about her was beautiful. The boys were extremely surprised, she looked way too young to be Kyuhyun's mother.

 

“Mom, this is Yesung, Sungmin, Donghae, Kibum and Eunhyuk,” Kyuhyun introduced.

 

“Did you get Yumi and Sora?” She asked, welcoming them into the room.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“You sure this is your mom? Looks more like a sister,” Kibum suddenly asked.

 

His mom was flattered, more than flattered, she was extremely delighted by those words. She wanted to hug him, but Kyuhyun pulled her back.

 

“This isn't your office, mom, you can't just go and touch anyone you want,” Kyuhyun explained, making the boys take their seats.

 

“You say such harsh things, but you never mean it,” she smiled, hooking her arms onto him, “this is the best proof! You brought them right after I asked you to.”

 

“I just didn't want you to go stalking them,” Kyuhyun replied.

 

The door opened again and two beautiful young ladies made their entrance. Completely dressed like dolls, the girls appeared with long dresses and their hair curled elegantly. They both hard large round eyes and a petite figure.

 

“Oppa! Long time no see!” They both screamed, running into Kyuhyun's arms. He embraced them sweetly but without smiles.

 

“Very heartless of you,” Sora exclaimed, “you seldom come to visit us.”

 

“I'm busy,” Kyuhyun explained, “probably not as busy as you two are, but I still have things on my hands.”

 

Yumi, the smaller of the two, clung on tightly to Kyuhyun as if she was afraid she would lose him in an instant if she let go. “Oppa,” she quietly whispered.

 

Kyuhyun patted her on the head. They grew up together with a sibling like relationship. It seemed she liked to depend on him, even in the smallest situations she would shout out to him for help.

 

“Look, the girls going to cry now,” Kyuhyun's mom said fretfully, “you're such a terrible man, Kyuhyun, you have to take responsibility for your actions.”

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, “I haven't done anything to her,” he stated sternly.

 

She looked up at him with watery eyes, “oppa, work is hard!”

 

“I know, Yumi, I know,” he comforted. The boys silently watched with grins on their faces, “what are you all laughing at?”

 

They shook their heads.

 

“Never seen this side of you, you're so helpless right now,” Eunhyuk said.

 

“Yeah, now you know why I rarely go home,” Kyuhyun replied, “troublesome!”

 

“Cho Kyuhyun!” Sora scolded, hitting him upside the head, “You're really asking for it.”

 

“Alright, alright, everyone take your seats,” Kyuhyun's mom laughed, “Yumi, sit over there.”

 

As soon as Kyuhyun took a seat, Sungmin leaned over and whispered into his ear, “sisters?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head.

 

“Cousins?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head again.

 

The other boys looked at him confused.

 

“Potential... lovers?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head once again, and Sungmin somewhat felt relieved.

 

Kyuhyun's mom sat at the tip of the dining table, she kept staring at Sungmin and Kyuhyun. She recognized him the moment he stepped into the room.

 

Yesung noticed the way Kyuhyun's mom would stare at Sungmin, her gestures when she talked to him, the tension between Kyuhyun and his mother. It all started to make a little sense, he felt as if he was slowly uncovering the puzzle pieces. If only he could remember what was so familiar about Lee Sungmin. A familiar face, a familiar voice, a familiar name, but all of it put together was so strange and foreign.

 

They consumed their meal slowly, speaking and laughing. Eventually, Donghae, Kibum and Eunhyuk let their nervousness disappear and they opened themselves up. They all got along pretty well, especially with Yumi and Sora.

 

“Well, that was a nice dinner, thanks for stopping by, guys” Kyuhyun said, standing up to show the boys out.

 

“Not so fast!” Kyuhyun's mother shouted, “We're not done yet.”

 

Kyuhyun covered his face with his palms, “Mom... no.”

 

“What? They can't possibly leave without some proper introductions to your past!” She said, flipping out some photobooks.

 

Yumi and Sora started laughing.

 

“Baby photos time!”