Chapter 13 - Battlefield of Love

First, Admit Defeat

“Kyuhyun, come back often.”

 

Giving his grandmother a big hug, Kyuhyun nodded and turned to leave with Sungmin by his side. Sungmin waved as he exited the door.

 

“You too, fellow,” their grandma added, “come back often.”

 

Sungmin grinned and nodded before running to catch up with Kyuhyun.

 

“Those children... you think they will come back?” she asked the butler, who stood by the door waving the two goodbye.

 

“They will, I'm sure they will,” he answered, walking back to her side, “no, I know they will.”

 

 

Sungmin remembered every second of the time him and Kyuhyun spent together in that room, but it still surprised him to wake up and see Kyuhyun sleeping beside him on the bed.

 

“Where are we going?” Sungmin asked, hanging an arm on Kyuhyun's.

 

“Not we, just me,” Kyuhyun answered.

 

It surprised Sungmin further when Kyuhyun didn't try to push him away like he always did, “no, it's we,” Sungmin replied.

 

Kyuhyun surrendered and allowed Sungmin to follow him around. They didn't go to many places, it wasn't a very interesting day, but they spent it together.

 

“I'm going to visit Donghae,” Kyuhyun suddenly said while they were drinking out of their smoothies.

 

“I'll go with you,” Sungmin replied.

 

“No, you can't.”

 

Sungmin placed his cup down and turned to Kyuhyun, “why?”

 

“Because I said so,” Kyuhyun replied, getting up to leave.

 

Sungmin almost immediately straightened his face and got very serious, “what's with Donghae?”

 

Kyuhyun didn't understand what Sungmin was trying to ask.

 

“You all make him seem like he has such complicated issues, what's with that?”

 

Kyuhyun didn't reply and picked up his backpack filled with the formal clothes and stuff his grandma gave him, “I got to go.”

 

“Why don't you want to tell me?” Sungmin asked, grasping onto Kyuhyun's hand before he could leave.

 

“I'm not going to let you get involved in it,” Kyuhyun stated, brushing Sungmin's hand off, “we're not going to let anymore people get involved, Donghae wouldn't like it.”

 

“We?”

 

Kyuhyun didn't answer.

 

“Yesung-sshi,” Sungmin said.

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and started off. Sungmin didn't chase after him, he had a better plan. Yesung.

 

 

“I didn't actually expect you to come,” Yesung said, seating himself at the rounded table where Sungmin was sitting.

 

“Why?” Sungmin asked, taking a sip of his drink.

 

“Well, I can't exactly say you've had good memories of this place,” Yesung replied. Sungmin laughed. “Oh, and because of you, I got a good scolding from my dad last time.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, my dad thought I was involved with you... more or less romantically,” Yesung shrugged, “he hates it when I get involved with anyone romantically.”

 

“Ryeowook,” Sungmin suddenly spat out.

 

Yesung didn't reply, staring at his hands.

 

“It's ok, I can understand, really,” Sungmin encouraged, “it hurts to keep it in.”

 

Yesung shook his head, “not at all, but why did you want to see me?”

 

Sungmin didn't know how to start.

 

“Well, of course it had to do with Kyuhyun,” Yesung said, scooting up to the edge of his seat, “it always has something to do with that kid.”

 

Sungmin blushed.

 

“You really make it too obvious,” Yesung teased.

 

“I try,” Sungmin shrugged with a grin, trying to brush off the teasing.

 

“Why don't you just tell him?” Yesung asked, leaning his chin on his hands that were prepped on the table.

 

“What?”

 

“That you like him,” Yesung replied.

 

Sungmin shook his head.

 

“Pride?”

 

Sungmin shook his head again.

 

“Scared?”

 

Sungmin shook his head again.

 

“What's the problem then?” Yesung said, a bit frustrated.

 

“He knows,” Sungmin finally answered, “I haven't told him directly, but I know he knows.”

 

“How?”

 

Sungmin shrugged, “I can feel it through our interactions, especially after that night.”

 

“That night?”

 

“The day we went to our grandmothers birthday. I was drunk and he took me to his room to rest,” Sungmin explained while blushing, “he probably thinks I don't remember what we did, but I remember.”

 

“What you two did? Did he...” Yesung slowly faded out.

 

“No, we didn't do anything... out of ordinary... " A slight pause before he replied, "Let's just say I know it's mutual,”

 

Yesung started laughing, “you two are so much alike.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You both don't like to show your weaknesses, you both are afraid to be the first to admit your feelings,” Yesung said, folding his arms as he leaned back in the couch.

 

“It seems so,” Sungmin sighed.

 

“You're both afraid to lose to each other,” Yesung added, “none of you want to admit defeat.”

 

“Admit defeat?” Sungmin asked.

 

“Defeat in the battle of love, it sounds cheesy, but it's really pretty true,” Yesung explained. “Love is a battlefield. After you defeat your opponents, you have to surrender to your last enemy. Often times people think the last enemy is the person they love, but in the end they'll realize their last enemy is actually themselves.”

 

Sungmin smiled, “you sound very experienced.”

 

“That's because I am,” Yesung smiled bitterly, “been there, done that, and I regret it.”

 

Immediately the name Ryeowook appeared in Sungmin's mind, “ahh, I think I understand.”

 

Yesung stood up and prepared to return to work, as he walked passed Sungmin he patted him on the shoulder, “Kyuhyun's a smart guy.”

 

“I know,” Sungmin replied.

 

“You are too,” Yesung added.

 

“I know,” Sungmin repeated, “I won't lose.”