Chapter 10 - Takes One to Know One... Right?

First, Admit Defeat

Eunhyuk, Donghae, Kibum and Yesung approached the destination in which the boys all decided to meet, the closer they were to Kyuhyun and Sungmin, who were already waiting for them, the slower their paces grew and the lower they voices they used to converse.

 

“What's up with Sungmin and Kyuhyun lately?” Eunhyuk asked, watching the fire between the two rise as they did nothing more than just sitting there.

 

“I don't know, it's like they stepped on each others tails,” Kibum whispered, shrugging.

 

“More like they killed each others parents,” Donghae added, pushing Yesung towards them, “do something about it, Hyung.”

 

Yesung swept Donghae's arms away, “I can't do anything about it, they'll have to solve their problems themselves. Just make sure not to add oil to the fire.”

 

Kyuhyun and Sungmin were sitting on the stairs of the commons quietly; Kyuhyun was reading his book wearing a frown and Sungmin was silently watching Kyuhyun with a grin.

 

“Being productive?” Yesung asked as he took a seat beside Kyuhyun. The rest of the boys filed themselves around the trio.

 

“Very,” Sungmin grinned, “I discovered that Kyuhyun-sshi is very weak in science.”

 

Donghae's eyes started to glow, “really? There's something Kyu is bad at?”

 

Kibum elbowed Donghae, “you're feeding the fire.”

 

“Oh, right, sorry,” Donghae apologized, hiding his face in Kibum's shoulder.

 

Sungmin laughed, “he's only human.”

 

Kyuhyun glanced up from his book, “a respectable one,” he added, tilting his head with a sly smile, “unlike some others.”

 

Sungmin frowned without defending himself.

 

Yesung realized Sungmin had been hurt by those words. “Kyu,” Yesung nudged, “that's not nice.”

 

“No, but I'm only human,” Kyuhyun countered.

 

“So!” Kibum interrupted, trying to change the subject, “the fair that Sungmin wanted to go to is coming up the day after tomorrow.”

 

“Oh, that's right! Didn't Kyuhyun say that he was going to bring some girls?” Eunhyuk teased.

 

“Don't tell me it's Yumi and Sora,” Donghae remarked.

 

Kyuhyun shrugged.

 

“Who are they to you anyways?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“It's complicated,” Sumgmin replied, but bit his tongue after he realized he shouldn't have done that, “it seems complicated, I mean.”

 

“Non-blood related little sisters,” Kyuhyun finally forced out, “something like that.”

 

“So... step-sisters?” Yesung asked.

 

“No, not entirely,” Kyuhyun replied.

 

Yesung glanced over at Sungmin after he locked eyes with Kyuhyun, “something like that?”

 

Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“Complicated family background,” Sungmin commented with an over confident expression, he took the book Kyuhyun was holding and flipped through the pages.

 

“You should be the last to speak about complicated family backgrounds,” Kyuhyun countered, stealing the book back.

 

“You two have been really weird lately,” Donghae finally stated, unable to hold back his curiosity any longer, “you seem like you've known each other for years.”

 

“He's just hard to get along with,” Kyuhyun coldly implied.

 

“You should be talking,” Sungmin countered, rolling his eyes.

 

“I should be,” Kyuhyun stated matter-of-factually. Sungmin grabbed Kyuhyun's book and threw it at him.

 

The four boys stared at them as they argued, “were you always this violent?” Kibum laughed.

 

“I-” Sungmin prepared to explain, but swallowed it and shrugged. He glared at Kyuhyun, who was now grinning victoriously. “You!” 

“You never learn,” Kyuhyun shrugged before turning back to his textbook.

 

The boys were surprised by the sudden change they found in Sungmin, but they enjoyed it. Somehow, he was more natural and easier to read. Behind those innocent eyes, that once revealed almost nothing, they were able to witness a growing steadiness. It was almost as if he was more trustworthy, as if all his emotions could be read through those fox-like innocent eyes.

 

 

“You're too headstrong.”

 

Kyuhyun tried his hardest to ignore Yesung.

 

“Admit it, Kyu. You're just too headstrong, you persist in the most unnecessary things, just because you don't want to lose.”

 

Kyuhyun shut his chemistry textbook forcefully, “I do not.”

 

“You do too,” Yesung said, pointing at the textbook, “you've been reading that non-stop for the past five hours, not to mention every chance you get, just because Sungmin said you're weak at science.”

 

“It's impossible, Hyung, he can't be better at chemistry than I am,” Kyuhyun said, hiding his face in his arms.

 

“Why do you say that?”

 

“Just because,” Kyuhyun said, slamming his hand on the table top.

 

“Face it, he's smart,” Yesung shrugged.

 

“I never said he wasn't.”

 

“Well then... face it, he's smarter than you are.”

 

Kyuhyun clenched his mouth shut, “he's so feminine and so sheltered,” Kyuhyun complained.

 

“That's doesn't mean he can't be smart.”

 

Kyuhyun sighed, “I guess so.”

 

“No, it's you know so,” Sungmin said, wrapping his arms around Kyuhyun from behind, “I'm naturally smart, admit it.”

 

Yesung greeted Sungmin and Sungmin smiled playfully.

 

“There's nothing natural about this,” Kyuhyun scolded, trying to push Sungmin away, “you see? This is exactly what I was referring to. How can a boy like him be smarter than me in science?”

 

“Kyuhyun, I can tutor you if you want, it's really not hard.”

 

Kyuhyun finally managed to pull Sungmin's arms apart and pushed him into a chair, “no thank you.”

 

“Well, you should visit grandma with me,” Sungmin said, pulling a card out of his backpack, “it's her 80th, she really wants you to be there.”

 

Kyuhyun took the card from Sungmin and glanced at Yesung, “that old lady still remembers me?”

 

“You were her favorite after all.”

 

Kyuhyun stared at the card.

 

“She misses you.”

 

Kyuhyun sighed and placed the card on the table.

 

“You don't know if you'll ever get another chance to see her, she's getting old and sickly.”

 

Kyuhyun took the card again and clenched it tightly, “I'm not even biological, all the people there will freak out.”

 

“She'll hate you if you don't go, she told me so.”