Chapter 12 - Simple

First, Admit Defeat

The old lady was sitting in a wheelchair in the middle of the large dance room. As soon as Kyuhyun and Sungmin stepped into sight, the entire room went silent. Staring, staring straight at their composed form walking towards the old lady.

 

The old lady smiled but tears were forming in her eyes. Her wrinkled skin was pale, her hair was completely white. She wore a pearl white dress with white accessories. She was reaching out for him, but her arms were shaking. She was drowning in joy yet her body was almost dry of energy.

 

“K-kyuhyun,” she managed to say as he stood before her.

 

Kyuhyun got on his knees and held her hands in his own, “grandma, happy birthday.”

 

She nodded and kissed him on the forehead. Kyuhyun could feel his nose getting sour, he knew his face must have been reddening, but he tried his best to hold back his tears. Unlike Kyuhyun, his grandma was already crying like a released hose. Her tears continuously dripped down her cheeks.

 

“You bad child! How long has it been? You haven't visited me once, not once!” She shouted, hitting him on the arm.

 

Kyuhyun forced a smile and took hold of her hands, “I'm sorry, grandma, I was busy.”

 

“Too busy to even visit your grandma once?” she angrily pouted.

 

“I wasn't here with you in person, but I'm always here with you in heart,” he smiled, raising her hand to his heart.

 

All the guests and relatives stared at him. They whispered rumors to each other, some were touched and others were firing in anger. “This is ridiculous,” they would randomly hear someone say, but their grandma acted as if she didn't hear it.

 

“Stand up, stand up! Let me see you, you've grown up so much!” She said, motioning with her arms for him to stand.

 

“He's handsome, isn't he?” Sungmin said, kneeling by his grandma.

 

She nodded, “very handsome, you look splendid!” Turning to Sungmin, she kissed his on the forehead as well, “both of you are gorgeous.”

 

Sungmin smiled childishly at his grandma. “Not nearly as good as you look today, you look like you just turned eighteen!”

 

Their grandma roared in laughter, enjoying that comment to it's max. As she calmed down, she turned her attention to Sungmin, “you look just like your mother, those fox-like eyes,” she said, holding his cheek in her hand.

 

“Ah! That's right, that's right!” She suddenly shouted, “Kyuhyun, do you have a girlfriend?”

 

Kyuhyun shrugged, “mom's got a line of girls for me.”

 

“I have some too! Sunye, Gami, Hyeki, come here!” she ordered, flapping her arms in the air. Almost immediately three girls appeared; three very beautiful and well-mannered girls.

 

“You planned this, didn't you?” Sungmin asked with a pout, “no wonder you said I absolutely had to bring him.”

 

“Kyuhyun's getting to that age,” his grandma whispered in his ears.

 

“Grandma, I'm older,” Sungmin replied.

 

“But you act like a baby, I can't trust you with a family, not yet,” she said, pinching his cheek.

 

The three girls introduced themselves formally and Kyuhyun patiently waited for each of them to take their turn. He was very gentlemanly; shaking hands, bowing and smiling at each girl. His polite smile was breath taking, the girls would blush as soon as they looked him in the eye.

 

Jealousy was building within Sungmin, he would frown at every look Kyuhyun gave the girls, every gesture they made rose the fire within him.

 

It was harder to watch them dance. Sungmin consumed several glasses of fruit punch and eventually he would unconsciously consume alcohol, he couldn't truly taste it anyways.

 

“Not going to dance?”

 

Sungmin turned to find his aunt standing beside him. She watched him grow up and often offered to babysit him when his parents were away. He shook his head.

 

She grinned, “no one to your liking?”

 

He shook his head again.

 

“Liar.”

 

Surprised, he turned to look at her but she already started to leave. All he caught a glimpse of was the smirk on her face, the smirk that said 'I know what you're thinking'.

 

He sighed and left the matter as it was, it didn't matter anyways.

 

Already half drunk, Sungmin took a seat at a table in the corner of the room. He watched Kyuhyun, continuously watching Kyuhyun, his entire mind was filled with Cho Kyuhyun.

 

He didn't realize he had started muttering the name aloud. As his eyes were only fixed on Kyuhyun, various sets of eyes surrounding him were focused on him, but he didn't realize it.

 

“Dancing... dancing... and more dancing... Cho Kyuhyun,” he muttered under his breath with a sigh, “so far away with so many people. The world is spinning at his dance steps.”

 

The eyes were staring, glaring, and their lips were moving now as the people observed Sungmin and his abnormal acts.

 

“He's drunk, that kid,” one would criticize.

 

“A disgrace, he's uttering the name of that disgraceful child,” another would scold.

 

“How could a Lee be degrading himself like this?”

 

The quiet whispers slowly transferred into Kyuhyun's ears. He ignored the insults aimed towards himself and tried his best to overlook the glares thrown at him but the longer he heard the criticisms geared towards Sungmin, the harder of a time he had holding his anger in.

 

Kyuhyun excused himself from his dance partner, however many there were, and turned to search for Sungmin. Spotting Sungmin in the corner of a room, with his eyes set sternly on him with red cheeks and slightly moving lips, Kyuhyun pardoned himself through the crowd.

 

“You're causing a scene,” Kyuhyun scolded, taking Sungmin by the arms.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun,” Sungmin continued to mutter.

 

“What?” Kyuhyun asked, feeling embarrassed.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun,” Sungmin repeated.

 

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin, “you're drunk.”

 

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin whispered with heavy breaths.

 

Their grandma watched as Kyuhyun pulled Sungmin out of the room, she shook her head with a smile and returned to tending her guests, “possibly the best birthday gift ever,” she said to herself.

 

Kyuhyun dragged Sungmin up the stairs, remembering this house very well, and into the room he used to stay. The room hadn't changed at all.

 

Still holding onto Sungmin's arm, Kyuhyun seated Sungmin in a chair at the desk in a corner of the room by the window.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah,” Sungmin continued to repeat, staring into Kyuhyun's eyes with a smile.

 

Kyuhyun didn't say a word as he watched Sungmin continuously call his name with that silly smile, he couldn't help but to chuckle.

 

“Well? Do you have something you want to tell me?” Kyuhyun asked with his hands on his waist.

 

Sungmin shook his head and started coughing, the bow tie around his neck was choking him. Kyuhyun gently removed the bow tie for him.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun,” Sungmin suddenly muttered very seriously. Kyuhyun straightened himself out and crossed his arms.

 

“Admit it.”

 

Kyuhyun raised a brow, “what?”

 

“Just admit it,” Sungmin said, turning his chair to face Kyuhyun directly.

 

Kyuhyun crouched down to Sungmin's height and stared straight into his eyes very sternly, “admit what?”

 

“Just tell me you admit it,” Sungmin pleaded, shaking Kyuhyun by the shoulders.

 

Nearly falling over, Kyuhyun told hold of Sungmin's hands, “I'm not going to admit to something I don't know.”

 

Sungmin sighed and shook his head, “you bad fellow.”

 

Confused, Kyuhyun tightened his grasp on Sungmin's hands and stared at him, waiting for an explanation.

 

“You terrible fellow,” Sungmin added. Interlacing his fingers with Kyuhyun's, Sungmin leaned his head on Kyuhyun's shoulder and continuously repeated those two phrases.

 

For the rest of that evening Kyuhyun accompanied Sungmin in the familiar room, allowing Sungmin to scold him as much as he wanted even though he didn't understand why. Perhaps this was something he deserved, he thought to himself. No matter what, if it made Sungmin feel better, he was willing to endure it. It was simple moments like this that made both of them feel full of happiness.

 

Of course, Kyuhyun didn't expect Sungmin to remember this moment. He didn't expect Sungmin to remember this little bit of memory that would be engraved into his heart. But even if Sungmin did, he wouldn't admit it was out of care or concern, it was a simple act. A simple meaningless act.