Chapter 8 - Awkward, Strange, Silence

First, Admit Defeat

“You're kidding, right?”

 

“No, actually, I'm not,” Donghae replied.

 

“Hae hyung, you can't really expect me to help you with that,” Kibum awkwardly laughed, trying to reject him kindly, “I can't.”

 

Donghae pouted and grabbed Kibum by the arm, pushing him back and forth, “why not, Bum? Come on, it'll be easy!”

 

“No! I can't! That's just... weird,” Kibum rejected, pushing Donghae away from himself, “why don't you go ask Yesung hyung?”

 

“He'll laugh at me,” Donghae pouted, “come on, it's really easy, all you have to do is sit there and test me.”

 

Kibum frowned, “hyung, I really can't help you with studying. Seriously, I hate it. I can barely look at a book for more than three seconds!”

 

“Really?”

 

Kibum and Donghae turned to find Sungmin approaching them.

 

“Sungmin!” Donghae excitedly greeted, pushing Kibum away, “Can you help me?”

 

Sungmin smiled, “with what?”

 

“He needs help with studying,” Kibum explained, feeling greatly relieved by Sungmin's presence.

 

“Oh, sure,” Sungmin laughed, “right now?”

 

Donghae nodded and dragged Sungmin with him to the library. Kibum grinned while walking off to the game shop nearby, extremely grateful towards Sungmin.

 

“Why do you want to study so badly?” Sungmin asked Donghae.

 

Donghae spotted a table and led Sungmin over to it, “I want to beat Yesung hyung and Kyuhyun in the test coming up in our class, they always tease me about getting worse scores.”

 

“Kyuhyun-sshi teases you about scores?”

 

Donghae nodded, flipping through a textbook, “all the time. He always brags about being a natural genius.”

 

Sungmin laughed, “but it's true, he's probably never studied in his life.”

 

Donghae looked up from the textbook, “how do you know?”

 

Flustered, Sungmin quickly thought up an excuse, “well, he always says that, doesn't he?”

 

Donghae nodded, “it's true, he always says that.”

 

While helping Donghae with his studying, Sungmin wondered if Kyuhyun would about scores too if they were as close as Kyuhyun was with the others. He quickly shook the thoughts out of his head and tried to focus on his studying.

 

From a distance, Kyuhyun and Yesung watched them studying. They also came to library to study, but as soon as Kyuhyun spotted Sungmin he stopped in his track.

 

“What?” Yesung asked, following Kyuhyun's line of sight, “can't even approach him?”

 

“That's not it,” Kyuhyun replied, “every time I see him, I feel a strange nervousness.”

 

Yesung raised an eyebrow, not quite understanding.

 

“There's something I still can't decipher, something about him makes me feel uneasy,” Kyuhyun continued, staring at Sungmin.

 

“Things change,” Yesung added.

 

“I know, but there's something not quite alright with him, but I can't figure out what it is.”

 

Holding a finger to his chin and biting his lips, Kyuhyun felt his head starting to hurt. This was just too difficult for him.

 

“You sure he was the only one who experienced amnesia?” Yesung teased.

 

Kyuhyun punched Yesung in the arm, “they all say he had amnesia, but he didn't seem to forget much. Last time he argued with me, he remembered more than I did.”

 

“I think you two should talk,” Yesung suggested, pulling Kyuhyun with him, “there are a lot of things both of you don't remember too well, but maybe put together you two can figure it out.”

 

“There's nothing to talk about, I'm not interested,” Kyuhyun said, trying to resist, but Yesung kept a firm hold on him.

 

“Sure,” Yesung replied, “why do you never stay true to yourself?”

 

“I don't know what you're talking about.”

 

“Studying?” Yesung asked, forcing Kyuhyun into the seat right across from Sungmin, “aww, looks like little Donghae is trying really hard.”

 

“It's pointless, Hae, you always study but your scores never change,” Kyuhyun teased.

 

Donghae threw a book at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun caught it and started laughing.

 

“I'm just joking, why do you always take me so seriously?” Kyuhyun asked, realizing that Donghae was a little hurt.

 

“Because you're always so serious,” Donghae replied, “and what you say is always true.”

 

“Oh come on,” Yesung said, “is not.”

 

“Actually-” Kyuhyun started, but Yesung glared at him, “Yesung is right, I'm not always right. I always make mistakes, Hae, you just don't catch them.”

 

“Yeah, because I'm stupid.”

 

Sungmin watched as Kyuhyun tried to console Donghae like a younger brother, it boiled a fire within him but he maintained his cool.

 

“You are not,” Yesung said, wrapping an arm around Donghae's neck.

 

“Yesung's right, you aren't stupid, we just like to tease you. You're scores are always good-”

 

Kyuhyun was interrupted by Donghae, “but never as good as yours.”

 

“Stop comparing yourself to me,” Kyuhyun angrily scolded, “why do you always want to compare? It's pointless to compare yourself to others, it's just a never ending black hole.”

 

“Hey,” Yesung scowled, “not helping.”

 

“He needed to hear it,” Kyuhyun said, folding his arms.

 

Donghae got completely quiet, trying to process what Kyuhyun just told him. It made sense, it was true, he believed it, but he was still angry.

 

“This wasn't why we came,” Yesung stated, glaring at the half-angry Kyuhyun, “come on, Hae, I'll help you study. Looks like you and Kyu need some time off.”

 

Donghae and Yesung left the library quickly and quietly, as if trying to make it seem as if they were never even there to begin with.

 

There was only silence between Kyuhyun and Sungmin, they both over-acknowledged the others existence, their presence made the other extremely nervous. Neither knew what to say or where to begin speaking. For what seemed to be an eternity they just sat there in silence, total silence, until Kyuhyun finally made the move to initiate a conversation with Sungmin, the first time in a century, literally.