Chapter 11 - That's Not Fair

First, Admit Defeat

“Kids, kids and more kids...”

 

The weather was warm and the sky was sunny, it was the perfect day for outing. The six boys departed for the fair in the early afternoon, some anticipating and others fuming.

 

“I told you fairs were for kids,” Kibum complained in the i-told-you-so tone.

 

“It could be fun,” Eunhyuk said, attempting to lighten everyone's mood.

 

“Sorry, I didn't expect the fair here to be so plain,” Sungmin apologized.

 

“Of course you didn't, you didn't grow up here,” Kyuhyun bitterly stated.

 

“But you did, you should have told me,” Sungmin countered.

 

“Ok, ok. We won't be staying long anyways, let's just try to enjoy it,” Yesung consoled.

 

They really did try. They tried their best to make the most fun they could out of the few hours they spent at the fair; running around, fighting, riding on various rides.

 

“Where are your girls?” Donghae asked as he passed Kyuhyun.

 

“I didn't bring them,” Kyuhyun explained, “I have something to do after this, don't have time to look out for them. I'm a busy guy.”

 

“Oh really?” Yesung laughed. “But the girl you'll be seeing later today will surely bring you more trouble than any others would.”

 

“It's true!” Sungmin shouted, “she'll be all over you like bees and honey.”

 

Donghae, Kibum and Eunhyuk opened their ears wide, trying to catch any clues that would lead them to who the person was, they didn't know if they should just ask.

 

“You really are a busy man,” Kibum said as he elbowed Kyuhyun, “endless women in those hands, you sly fox.”

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, “she's not exactly... my type.”

 

“Introduce us,” Eunhyuk and Donghae said in unison.

 

“Trust me, she's not any of your types either,” Kyuhyun laughed.

 

“Unless you're into 80 year old women,” Yesung added.

 

“That are extremely strict and like to stick to you like glue,” Sungmin stated.

 

“Why does she sound so much like... how Kyu described his mother?” Eunhyuk asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

Sungmin and Kyuhyun exchanged glances, “that's it,” they shouted in unison, “one and the very same.”

 

“I can understand why Yesung hyung knows so much, but how does Sungmin know so much about this lady as well?” Kibum asked.

 

Kyuhyun, Yesung and Sungmin shrugged.

 

“Well, I guess we've pretty much done everything we could here,” Donghae stated, stretching, “I'm going to go home.”

 

“Me too, I'm exhausted,” Kibum and Eunhyuk agreed.

 

“I've got to go as well,” Kyuhyun said, looking at the time on his cell phone.

 

“Same,” Yesung and Sungmin added.

 

The boys all excused themselves and went their separate ways, except for Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

 

“Nervous?” Sungmin asked Kyuhyun.

 

“Not really,” Kyuhyun replied, “but I've got to go shop for some clothes, I don't think she'll appreciate seeing me in this manner,” he laughed, looking at his baggy and ripped clothes.

 

“Alright then, shopping it is!”

 

 

“I've always wanted to see you in a suit,” Sungmin said, flipping through a rack of suits.

 

“I wore them when we were little,” Kyuhyun shrugged, “but I guess you don't remember a lot of things because of that accident.”

 

“No, I remember,” Sungmin smiled.

 

“What was the accident anyways? All I know is that you were in an accident,” Kyuhyun asked, he didn't realize he was slowly becoming warmer towards Sungmin.

 

“I don't know,” Sungmin shrugged.

 

Kyuhyun cornered Sungmin between his arms and leaned in close, “what do you know? You don't know any of the important stuff, but you remember all of the little unimportant things.”

 

Sungmin reached his hands to cup Kyuhyun's cheeks, “but they are important,” he said with a sly smile, “you just don't realize how important they are.”

 

Kyuhyun stood up to his full height, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow in suspicion but not saying a word.

 

“What?” Sungmin asked, leaning back on the wall with his arms crossed as well.

 

“You act extremely like a gay guy,” Kyuhyun tried to insult, turning back to the rack of clothes, “I can't tell if you are really homoual or if you just like to harass me.”

 

Sungmin shrugged, “I don't know.”

 

Grabbing a suit off of the rack, Kyuhyun dashed into a dressing room and changed his clothes. After paying for the clothes, they headed to their grandmas house. Even though Kyuhyun said he wasn't nervous about this meeting, on the inside he was terribly worried.

 

As if reading his mind, as they were waiting on the steps for the door to be opened, Sungmin stepped in front of Kyuhyun and smiled encouragingly, “don't worry, she'll protect us.”

 

Sungmin spoke as if the entire world would be against their entrance, as if she would be the only one there for them if someone were to act out against them, but Kyuhyun knew it was true. He wasn't welcome here, but why would they not welcome Sungmin?

 

“Ah, young master, welcome,” the butler said as he bowed and showed Sungmin the way in, “long time no see, Kyuhyun-sshi, you've grown up nicely.”

 

“Long time no see,” Kyuhyun bowed. To be honest, he barely remembered anything about the butler but the butler was a kind man.

 

“She's been waiting for you long and hard, Kyuhyun-sshi,” the butler sighed, “I'm glad you decided to come, she's never been this delighted since you left.”

 

Kyuhyun simply nodded.

 

“That's not fair,” Sungmin pouted, “why do you speak as if she only cares about Kyuhyun?”

 

The butler lowered his head, as if he feared Sungmin, “I apologize.”

 

The atmosphere was unusual. Why was the butler acting familiar with him but was so afraid of Sungmin? If anything, it should be the other way around. Kyuhyun threw those thoughts to the back of his mind as they approached the party room. One step, two steps, three steps and he would arrive before the only person, aside from Sungmin, who treated him like family.

 

How long had it been since he was last spoiled by the love of an elderly? He felt a foreign emotion rise within him, his heart felt as if it was being squeezed, but there was a smile on his face. The smile wasn't forced, it was natural, so natural that he almost felt as if he was revealing too much of himself to this world he didn't belong in. Standing beside him was Lee Sungmin, the only person who could stop him from falling into the traps of what he once called 'family'.

 

But little did Kyuhyun know there was another trap awaiting him; the trap set up by Sungmin but built by himself, the trap called 'love'.