Zhoumi and Zhiyin

Happily Ever After

Zhoumi-

I visited Zhiyin in teh hospital alone this time. Usually when I visit Henry would be with me. I told Henry not to come. I needed to talk with Zhiyin alone.

As I walked the empty hallway of the ward that Zhiyin was in, I remembered how we met.

We met in Canada when I visited Henry. She lived next door to him and when I saw her I knew that I had fallen. I talked with her and even spent some time with her. Far longer than Henry did. But her eyes were set on Henry alone.

I wish it was me so badly...

But I know it can't be...

Zhiyin saw me as a friend...

Nothing more.

I entered her room with every intention to tell her how I felt and that she should just let Henry go.

The moment I saw her my mind went blank. It was as if the words were out of my brain and I couldn't even utter a single word.

"Zhoumi, you're here! Is Henry with you?" Zhiyin said when she saw me.

"N-no. I'm here alone." I managed to say despite my nervousness.

"Oh. I see." Zhiyin said a bit disappointed that Henry wasn't with me.

There was less than a month left until their wedding and if I don't do something soon, I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

"Zhiyin, I came to talk to you about the wedding... I'm here to convince you not to go through with it."

"I don't want to. I don't want to be convinced." She said shaking her head.

"Why are you doing this? Can't you see how many people that you're hurting?" I said to her.

Including me...

"I don't care. I want Henry." She inisisted.

"But Henry doesn't love you." I argued.

"He'll come to love me. I know he will." She said tryong to convince me as well.

"But time isn't in your hands..." I said to her reluctantly.

She looked away and just nodded her head.

"Yes time isn't in my hands... but still I want to spend the last of my days with the person I love." Zhiyin replied.

How true is that for me...

I wish I was that person.

"Can't you just let him go? There is someone who loves you." I said to her.

"Yeah? Who? Who in their right mind would love a girl like me? Look at me! I'm bald and pale and..."Zhiyin started to say but I cut her off.

"I do!" I said to her.

I didn't mean to blurt it out like that. I just couldn't keep it in anymore.

"I don't care what you look like. I don't care if I get sick too if I continue to love you. I don't care if you only have a moment to live. Just as long as you spend that moment with me." I added.

Zhiyin looked at me shocked by what I just said.

"Do you know what you're saying?" Zhiyin asked me not believing what I just told her.

"No. But I do know what I feel. I'm in love with you Zhiyin." I confessed to her.

"You're just saying that so I won't marry Henry." She said to me angrily.

"What do I have to do to let my feelings get through to you?" I asked her frustrated that she would accuse me of such a thing.

She fell silent and looked away again.

I don't know what got into me. I walked towards her and held her in my arms.

"Can't you hear it? Can't you hear my heart beat for you?" I asked her softly.

I felt her hands around me and she buried her face on my chest. Then she started to cry. I felt her warm tears on my shirt. I tightend my arms around her.

"Please hear it..." I prayed silently to myself.

"I hear it... But I don't feel it. Du bu xi (I'm sorry)... if your heart beats for me... my heart only beats for Henry." Zhiyin said to me as she gently pushed me away.

I wiped her tears with the back of my hand and looked at her. Tears were forming in my eyes too but I don't care of she saw it or not.

"Nonetheless... wo ai ni (I love you)." I told her trying my best to smile.

Even though what she said...

Were like daggers piercing through my heart.