Chapter 12

Bloody Business

Tocktock.

HyoMin frowned. What was that?

Tocktock.

Again. Slowly she opened her eyes and looked to the window. A shadow could be seen through the curtains. Still tired the fear was only slowly reaching her. Confused and not sure if it was a dream, she rubbed her eyes and got up.

With silent steps she went to the window and pulled the curtain aside. On the balcony stood LeeJoon. Now she was fully awake and quickly opened the door.

“What are you doing here?”, she asked and let him inside.

“Pack your things.”

“What...”, as she was about to turn on the lights, he stopped her and shook his head.

“Don’t. Hurry up, we have to leave.”

The confusion was clearly shown on HyoMin’s face but she nodded. Without knowing what was happening right now, she grabbed a bag and began to pack her things.

Both remained silent as LeeJoon was standing at the balcony door looking outside as if he was searching for someone and her gathering some clothes.

“Why do we have to leave...?”, she finally asked.

“I’ll tell you later.” Though she wasn’t satisfied with his answer, she didn’t ask any further.

When she was ready, she wanted to go out of her room. “Where are you going?”, LeeJoon asked.

“I have to tell my grandmother.”, she said, but he shook his head. “You can’t. And you can’t leave a message either. They could find out.”

“But-“ He went to her and looked in her eyes. It was the first time, HyoMin saw LeeJoon this serious and worried. Slowly she nodded and he grabbed her bag. “Then let’s go.”

He went to the balcony, climbed down quickly and then helped her to get down as well.

In front of the house stood a car in which he put the bag in. HyoMin frowned. This wasn’t LeeJoon’s car. It wasn’t the red sportscar but a small and quite old looking car.

Without a word he got in and she quickly followed.

“Where are we going?”, she asked as they drove off.

“I don’t know, yet. Maybe the countryside. Or the States. The later would probably be a better choice...”

Her eyes wided. The States? “Why? What’s going on?”

LeeJoon hesitated. He knew, he had to tell her. But....

“LeeJoon-shi....”

With his eyes glued to the street, he began. “If we don’t flee, they’ll kill you.”

HyoMin gasped in shock. What? What was he talking about? Who? And why?

She wasn’t able to ask anything, but LeeJoon already continued.

“There is an organisation which is after a certrain receipt. Years ago there was a scientist who had produced a bacterium. A very dangerous bacterium. What he had produced could be able to exterminate all mankind. Of course he also tried to invent a remedy but the bacterium was very resistant. Only a few people knew about this bacterium. Even the government didn’t know. He decided to keep it a secret until he found a remedy, but... somehow an underground organisation found out about this bacterium. The leader of them wanted to gain power, so he got a plan. With this bacterium he could specifically eliminate his enemies. Of course the scientist wasn’t stupid. To prevent that anyone could get the receipt he hid it at a place only he knew. As the organisation was able to catch him, they tortured him to get the information but he didn’t say a thing. In the end he killed himself to take this secret with him into his grave.”

HyoMin’s eyes widened and were slowly filled with tears. In shock she turned her head to LeeJoon who still wasn’t looking at her.

“Then...”, he continued, “...they searched his laboratory and found something like a diary. It wasn’t written where he had hid the receipt, but it was written that he had left a message for someone where it was written in. And also a receipt for a remedy. Since noone of the people who had known about the bacterium had this message, they got an assumption. The person who would have the receipt would be someone who didn’t know anything about it. A person who was near to him. And in his case it was....his daughter.”

Now HyoMin couldn’t held her tears back anymore. She covered her face with her hands.

She couldn’t believe it. They wanted to kill her because she was the daughter of the scientist.

“But I don’t have anything like a message from my father.”, she then said.

LeeJoon frowned and stopped the car at the roadside. They had already left the city behind them.

“Are you sure?” Still crying she nodded.

“No letter? Or something similiar?” She shook her head. “No, nothing! The only thing he had left had been his will.”

This was even worse. Like his boss he had believed HyoMin had known about the bacterium because of the message of her father. But if it wasn’t like that...

Suddenly a shot hit the car’s rear window.

“Damn it!”, LeeJoon hissed but as he was about to drive away, another shot hit the car. This time the wheel. “Oh god...”, HyoMin whined silently. Suddenly the door on her side was opened and someone grabbed her. “NO!!!!”, she screamed and tried to get of the grip. “HyoMin!”, LeeJoon called but then he was also dragged out of the car. His arms were twisted on his back. Pain flashed through his body, as someone hit his stomach. HyoMin was still fighting and screaming, as a hand covered .

“You tried to escape?”, a familiar voice then asked.

The man went to HyoMin and her eyes widened. “Let go of her.”, he ordered and the man did what he said.

“ChanSung-shi!”, HyoMin said, “What are you doing here? Tell him, to let go of LeeJoon-shi!”

He shook his head. “I can’t or do you want to get killed?”

“Wha-“, she began and looked at LeeJoon. She then quickly shook her head. “No, LeeJoon would never do that! He was saving me from the organisation which-“

“Didn’t he tell you that he is also a part of the organisation?”, ChanSung calmly asked.

“You-“, LeeJoon wanted to protest but the man covered his mouth and hit him again.

“He is...” HyoMin couldn’t believe what ChanSung was saying right now. This couldn’t be real, could it? LeeJoon would’ve never hurt her, would he?

“They had ordered him to get close to you, to get the receipt and then to kill you.”

“No....” “I’m sorry, but he was only playing with you.” “No....no...no...”, she wasn’t able to say anything more. Everything. Everything he had said, everything he had done had been a lie?

“The government had sent me to capture him and the organisation. We will take him into costudy. You don’t have to worry anymore.”

Her eyes full of tears and disbelief were glued on LeeJoon who was looking at her desperately.

“Come, I’ll take you home.”, ChanSung calmly said and laid an arm around her shoulders.

Hesitantly she let him lead her away from LeeJoon, leaving him behind.

As the man didn’t cover his mouth anymore, LeeJoon called: “HyoMin! Don’t believe him! HyoMin! HyoMin! Hyo-“ The next moment the man hit him at a weak spot. Slowly his view got blurry and he then lost his conciousness.