Chapter 14

Bloody Business

Slowly he opened his eyes. His view was still blurry and his head was hurting.

Just as his view was about to clear up a little, his was hit in his stomach.

He coughed and wasn’t even able to let out a scream of pain as he was hit in his face.

“You’re awake now, huh?”, a familiar voice asked.

Dazed from the hit, he looked to the place were the voice came from. With calm steps an older man steped into the light. He was maybe in his late fifties. His expression was cold.

“Boss...”, LeeJoon mumbled.

“You still call me boss? Even though you’ve betrayed me?”

He was hit again. Beside him stood two men. He was sitting on a chair with his hands bound behind the back. On his forehead was already blood. Now his lip and his nose were also bleeding.

The man got closer. “I’m dissapointed in you. I took you under my wing and this is how you thank me?” Slowly he began to walk around him. “I gave you food.” One of the men beside LeeJoon hit him in the stomach. “I gave you a place to sleep.” The other man hit him again. “I gave you a reason to live.” He was hit again.

His face was covered in blood and he felt how it began to swell up.

As the older man finished his round around him, he sat down in front of him. “Just thanks to me your mother could have had the surgery.”

“She...died...”, LeeJoon weakly said.

“Of course she died.”, he said easily and stood up again, “After all your father had used the money he had borrowed from me to buy alcohol and drugs instead of paying for your mothers surgery. It’s not my fault that he was an addict who loved his drugs more than his wife. You should be happy that I accepted you as my payment since he couldn’t pay back the money. Without me you would’ve already be dead long ago.”

LeeJoon didn’t say anything. The memory of his dying mother and his so-called father who had just been sitting there, with a bottle of alcohol,  laughing, was too cruel.

“But what now? You’ve worked good for me the past years, I have to admit that. But you still are in my debt, aren’t you?”

The man sighed. “Well, since you weren’t able to complete your mission, I have to do it myself, I guess. I think ChanSung will be back soon with your girl. But I don’t think your reunion will be nice.”

He then turned around and left.

And then they began to hit him again.