“The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.” – Socrates

Drabbles

Growing up, Choi Sooyoung had always wanted to be a performer.

Kim Heechul knew that for a fact even if she never voiced it out loud.

                He had spent many days of his childhood to his pre-adolescent years babysitting his sister, Taeyeon, and her taller-than-her-age best friend as they played whatever it was they deemed necessary to play. Heechul usually saw those babysitting days as a waste of time, only given value since his parents actually paid him to patiently watch over his much younger sister. He could only watch disinterestedly as Taeyeon and Sooyoung played with their dolls, pretended to have tea, watched Disney movies and all that.

But if there was one game of theirs that he had always found interesting, it was when they pretended to be something or someone.

                His sister had always been creative (props to him for that) and she had a golden voice that many singers could only dream of having (again, props to him). Heechul would watch proudly as Taeyeon pretended to be a singer, a TV show host and many other things. But what amused him more than that was Sooyoung and how she always chose to pretend to be a dancer. She never said anything about it but every time they would play that particular game, she was always a dancer. Her voice, though it didn’t sound anything like Taeyeon’s, was unique and beautiful in its own way and if she wanted to be a singer, she could be one. But it seemed like the passion of her heart was set on dancing and as far as Heechul was concerned, she had every right in the world to be a performer.

                It was those childhood memories that kept Heechul company as he and Taeyeon waited along with people he didn’t know in a large room. He absently noted various voices practicing in the background but he soon tuned them out; his focus staying on the large wooden double doors. He could hardly keep still and he knew that if those doors didn’t open anytime soon, he would be driving people dizzy by starting to pace back and forth.

               The double doors opened and Sooyoung came running out. The entire room fell silent as he and Taeyeon got up from their seats to approach his sister’s best friend. Tears were running down her cheeks and she was crying so hard that it was hard to tell why she was crying.

“I made it, Taengoo! Heechul oppa, I passed the auditions!”

                Taeyeon screamed in delight, hugging her best friend tightly as they jumped up and down in delight. Heechul allowed a proud grin to grace as face as he watched the two young girls celebrate the younger one’s one step closer to her dreams. Sooyoung was now officially one step closer to entering a prestigious dance school.

She only pretended to be a dancer before.

Now, Choi Sooyoung is a dancer and the best one as far as those who loved her were concerned.