Reaching the Sky || Kris

Mixtape || Collection

 

_reaching the sky

 

You observed them silently, tucking your gloved hands into the pockets of your coat and burying your face into your scarf. They were too busy with each other; they wouldn't notice if you watched. You trailed behind the pair, enjoying the light fall of white fluff framing the adorable scene.

 

She was hopping around, her small brown boots making uneven tracks on thin film of snow around her father's feet. “Daddy!” Her gloved hand tugged at the edge of his long black coat, mouth curving down in an impatient pout. “Daddy!”

 

He glanced down at her form bouncing around his legs. “Yes, baby?”

 

Daddy, it's snowing! Do you see it?”

 

Kris let out a warm laugh, holding a palm out to catch a few fluttering snowflakes. “Yes, angel. I do see it.”

 

Isn't it pretty, daddy? It's so pretty!”

 

Pretty just like you, right?” he said, leaning down to scoop her into his arms and plant a kiss on her rosy cheek.

 

She squealed and giggled, but she cuddled closer to his face, wrapping her arms around the bright blue scarf around his neck. “No, daddy, you silly! Pretty just like you!”

 

Her enthusiastic compliment seemed to throw him offguard because he spared a glance back at you, the light tinge on his cheeks visible underneath the thick black rims of his glasses. You smiled behind the material of your scarf, shrugging.

 

Daddy! I wanna go closer to the snow!”

 

Kris looked back at his daughter, mouth rolling in confusion. “What?”

 

Can you bring me closer to the snow, daddy?”

 

And how am I supposed to do that, angel?”

 

She pouted, poking out her bottom lip. “Ooh! I know, I know! I can ride on your shoulders!”

 

You nearly laughed when you saw Kris tense and his steps falter. For a long moment, he just stared down at her excited bundle in his arms with disbelief. “To get closer to the snow?”

 

Yeah~” She grinned widely. “Mommy always tells me that daddy is the best because he's so tall he could reach the sky. I wanna reach the sky, daddy! So I can get closer to the snow!”

 

This time, you couldn't hold in your amused giggles. Stopping in your tracks, you doubled over with laughter. When you snuck a look over at your husband and daughter, you found him glaring discreetly at you, signifying just how much explaining you had to do when you got home. Meanwhile, she was tugging at his scarf with low whines. “Daddy, can I? Please?”

 

It wasn't hard to predict who would win this one. Kris was terrible at refusing his lovely daughter anything. “S-sure, baby. You can get closer to the snow.”

 

With her joyful exclamation, he stopped to drop her down onto her feet. You shuffled over wordlessly, catching your daughter under her reaching arms just as Kris knelt down to allow you better access. In perfect synch, you swung your daughter's small form towards his hunched shoulders just as he caught her legs to steady her. “Alright, hold on tight, honey,” you said with a pat to her back.

 

You watched with a delighted smile as Kris straightened to full height. Your daughter tightened her arms around his covered neck with a squeak, pressing her smaller face against the side of his. “Alright, there we go, baby,” he announced, the amusement apparent in his voice. “Reach for the snow.”

 

Uwah~!” Tentatively, she reached one arm up, the flakes of white catching on the sleeve of her coat immediately. “Daddy! This is the best! Mommy, look!”

 

I know, baby. I see you.” You fell a step behind them again, smiling. “What did I tell you about your daddy, huh? Isn't he the best?”

 

My daddy is the bestest, and tallest, and handsomest daddy in the whole wide world~” she cooed, squeezing his neck lovingly.

 

You laughed quietly to yourself, looking on as Kris continued down the snow-covered path. His hands were holding securely onto her legs, their matching ponytails bouncing with each step he took. “Is that what your mommy tells you, angel?”

 

Mm-hmm~”

 

You came to an abrupt stop when Kris pivoted, turning to face you with a sigh. “Come here, mei li.”

 

Poking your lips out sheepishly, you walked slowly towards him. You gave your confused daughter a reassuring smile even as Kris's disapproving look began to make you nervous. “Mm?”

 

Why do you tell her these things?” he whispered.

 

Avoiding his intent gaze, you watched your daughter brush the snow from his hair with careful of her gloved fingers. “Because they're true,” you said simply, fiddling with the lapels of his coat. “You are the bestest.”

 

Kris tried to suppress it, but the surprised chuckle left his lips anyway. “You two...”

 

You smiled up at him, leaning up on your tiptoes to meet him halfway when he moved in for a soft kiss. “You love it.”

 

He feigned a sigh. “Oh, how could I not? My daughter is convinced that I can help her reach the sky.”

 

You can, daddy!” your daughter exclaimed, her hand waving in the fluttering snowflakes just to prove the point. “See? I'm reaching~”

 

He laughed, shaking his head. “Hey, angel, do you want me to tell you a secret?”

 

Ooh, sure...” She slouched down, rubbing her cheek against his and whispering, “Tell me...”

 

You fell into step beside Kris, looping your arm around the one he offered with a curious smile.

 

Do you really want to know what makes your daddy the best?” he asked, flashing you a smirk.

 

What, daddy, what?”

 

I'm only the best because I've got the best daughter ever and the best mommy to take care of both of us. Did you know that?”

 

You resisted the urge to roll your eyes at his cheesy antics, but you still had to bite your lip to hold in a self-conscious laugh. “Really, daddy?” she said excitedly, fidgeting on his shoulders.

 

Yes, baby. So the next time your mommy tells you that I'm great, I want you to do me a favor, okay?”

 

She nodded vigorously. “What, what?”

 

I want you to tell her that it's because your daddy is lucky to end up with two of the prettiest girls ever to help him be the best.” You couldn't help it; a blush came up to your cheeks at his sweet words. “Can you do that for me, angel?”

 

Of course I can, daddy!”

 

Kris chuckled, nodding his approval before leaning down to brush his lips against your forehead. “Now, you, mei li. Can you do me a favor and remember that for me?”

 

Of course I can,” you murmured with a tiny smile.

 

Good.” Kris leaned down, capturing your lips in a lingering kiss this time. “I love you.”

 

I love you too, Wu Fan.”

 

I love you most, daddy! And I love mommy most, too!”

 

You snorted at your daughter's loud declaration, reaching up with your free hand to pinch her cheek. “You do?”

 

Yeah~! I love you both the mostestest~” she said, holding her arms up over her head as far as she could. “As high as the sky!”

 

You shared a laugh with your husband, leaning your head against his arm as the three of you continued your trek down the brick path of the quiet, snowy park. “We love you too, baby,” he whispered. “As high as the sky.”

 

---

 

end note: I don't even. I usually don't write stuff this fluffy. xD Umm, hope you enjoyed~