Rumours oh Rumours!

Romeo N Juliet

Rumours. They always spew ridiculous stories, especially tabloids site or newspaper. Hardly worth their attention. Until that one compelling article written by a website whose name escaped her memory. The article-or-rumour which indicated that she had the habit of sleeping around, based on several evidences complied with her anti-fans over the years.

“Look at this!” he exclaimed, throwing the paper against the coffee table. She gave it a quick peek before continued to read her magazine. “What’s the problem?” she asked, without looking at him. He crossed his arms across his chest, huffing as he plopped onto the single sofa and shot daggers at the newspaper. “Here! Look! It claimed that you went to great lengths to secure that controversial movie role, including seducing the director and he’s married!” he shot.

“That’s just a rumour. Nothing to get work about,” she countered, lazily. He stared at her with his mouth open, disbelief written on his face, “B-but this-

Rian cut off his words, putting her magazine down and picked up the newspaper instead. “If it makes you feel better, you were reading last week’s news. By now, most people have forgotten about it because the director pulled a press conference and clarify the matter two days ago,” she simply replied.  

“I don’t get you. You seemed to be plague with rumours all the time. Didn’t I told you to fix your princess complex?” he grumbled, snatching the paper from Rian. She just frowned at him. “This is not about my personality making me a favourite with the tabloids,” she scoffed. She came to her feet, walking up to the television and switched it on. She plopped onto the sofa, making herself comfortable as possible.

“When you are loved by the nation, sometimes, people are bound to envy and hate you because of it. Beside, it is a known fact that young, single female celebrities are prone to get bad press compared to those veterans. I’m exhibit A,” she said as matter-of-factly.

“If that’s the problem, then get yourself a boyfriend or something like that.” She furrowed her brow, now staring at him. “Are you forgetting something? You are my fake boyfriend, remember?”

“Yeah. But what I mean by a boyfriend is another celebrity dude to be your official boyfriend for the press. That way, you get less rumours like this,” he replied.

“I know. But isn’t that your job?”

“You told me earlier on and I quote, ‘It’s easy. I just need you to ward off those annoying stars or idols from pursuing me.’ That was the reason why I was the fake unofficial boyfriend and nothing about saving your from vicious rumours circulating on your non-existent habit being part of the agreement.”

Her mind started to think of a suitable candidate. For every candidate, the ending was always the same. She might fall in love with him and then she becomes the one to cry at the first sign of breaking up. Given her history with men always end in a sour note, where she was never the dumper but the dumped. So many handsome male stars, so many possibilities but … why find someone when you have the right man in front of eyes?

“Let’s become official then,” she told him. He gawked at her with bewilderment and blinking rapidly, “Are you crazy? I did not say I wanted to be your boyfriend.” She sighed, massaging her temple. “I mean, you become my fake official boyfriend. But our relationship strictly remained as friends.

“Oh.”

They met with her company’s PR and manager, a couple of days later. They explained the reason behind her sudden desire to come out clean. Of course, they did not include the fact that it was just a half-fake, half-truth relationship.

“So, how exactly are we going to announce this to the fans?” he questioned, staring at the whiteboard, filled with scribbles belonged to both the PR and her manager. “Firstly, we are going to imply as if you two are in relationship. You’ll be having secret dates and all.”

“Also,” the manager added, “we want to make sure the netizens gets a good impression of you. You said you are a rock star?” he gazed at Yoo Jin, who only nodded. “Have you ventured into mainstream rock yet? How many albums? Singles? Mini Album?”

“Yeah, just recently. About 2 mini albums. But I have two ballad digital singles as well. “

“I see. That means you are still new to the scene.  Not much coverage on rock stars anyway, so that’s a good thing,” stated the PR, she went to the board and circled his name, putting an arrow next to it and linking it with the word, ‘potential’.

“Next step, you two will be going for a not-so secret rendezvous and we’ll have someone tip the journalists. Ignore their presence, just continue with your normal routine,” her manager offered. Rian and Yoo Jin just nodded to show that they understood it perfectly.

“When rumours began to circulate, this is where Rian comes in and announces to the public about her boyfriend, which is you, through her choice of social network.” With that, they ended their meeting. “Not to mention, once the public learns of this, you will be attending a lot of her movie premieres and accompanying her to award shows,” the PR informed, staring at Yoo Jin, whose face fell into a frown.

Rian just snickered at him but her manager’s words made her groan, “As for you, no parties without his presence.” But then, she lit a smile on her face when he added, “For the time being, at least.”

It was ironic, really. In order to avoid creating and spreading malicious rumours, she had to craft her own dating rumours. Nonetheless, it was for her own good. And it does make a good story material for … Strong Heart. On the flip side, he proved to be a wonderful official fake boyfriend when the situation calls for it. Still is, only his title changed to wonderful official not-so fake husband.