G-Minor Glory

Romeo N Juliet

Just a few days ago, she remembered catching the twins chanting “G-minor” in front of their mirror, with plastic guitars in each hand. It was adorable to see them, emulating their inner Yoo Jin. No doubt they were his alright. Her mind flashed to the memory of how she and Yoo Jin were dubbed as the ‘G-Minor’ couple, by the media.

Rian sat in front of the television, almost lifeless. Bored was written all over her face. Nothing exciting was on the television or in the internet. She flicked channel after channel, never staying on one too long. Just then, she spotted Yoo Jin coming out from his bedroom and he took a seat next to her. There was a worried expression carved on his handsome face.

“Are you busy?” he asked, gruffly. She shook her head, removing her eyes away from the television to face him, “No. Why?” she raised an eyebrow. Suddenly, his expression morphed into a relief one. “Good, that means you can accompany me to MBC studio. There’s this show I am participating, the PD said I am supposed to prepare some thing but-

She placed her slim finger on his lips, silencing the man. “Ah, I forgot you’re a newbie in variety shows. I got it. I’ll help you out- Yoo Jin’s face beamed with a smile, but the smile faltered when he saw her smirking –for a price.” He seemed to give her words a thought before finally agreeing, “Fine. I’ll accept your terms. Now, help.”

 “Okay, what exactly did the PD ask you and when will you be appearing in the show?” she asked. “Today at 3, for the recording. He said that,” he paused momentarily before continuing, “Actually, I don’t remember at all. I just remembered he told me something. Oh, he also asked if I had a good meal for breakfast.” She smacked her forehead with her palm at his reply.

This is what you get for believing a man of his calibre to actually remember the important stuff. She sighed. This meant she had to meet the PD directly. Better get dressed. There was only forty minutes more before three … forty minutes!  Is he crazy? Only finding her before the show starts in forty minutes and he’s still in the apartment. To get the MBC studio takes up half an hour if and only if traffic was running smoothly.

She shot him a glare, getting to her feet and ran to her bedroom, throwing curses at him as she did so. He just scratched his head, wondering what the fuss was all about. Luckily, traffic was not as bad as she thought it would be. They arrived just ten minutes before the recording started. He was ushered into the dressing room, where an army of make-up artists awaited for him while she marched to see the PD, who was surprised to see her.

“Ah, Rian. Your appearance is scheduled for next week, so do what I owe the pleasure?” asked the PD, a thin, frail-looking man with lush black hair and supported a pair of square-rimmed glass. She smiled and bowed politely, “Ah, Shin PD. Yes, thank you for informing me. Err, actually I’m here because of Yoo Jin. He said somewhat about him needing prepare something for today’s show but it slipped out of his mind. And since he’s a newbie, I’m here to help him.”

“Ah, I see. To be frank, we did not ask him to prepare anything considering he’s new, as you’ve mentioned. Let me see what can we do for him,” replied the older man, with a smile. The smile on Rian’s face cracked and replaced with a fake one. The PD eventually left her to find his assistant and Rian picked up her pace, heading for the dressing room.

She slammed the door opened, revealing Yoo Jin in the middle of shaking himself out from anxiety. He began to smile at the sight of a furious Rian, which he seemed to be oblivious to, “Great! Since you here, how about my G-minor chant? Do you think it will make people laugh?” he inquired. She held a finger pointing at him, jabbing at his chest (though it hurt her finger instead, she refused to back down from the poking) and threw an accusatory glance at the rock star. “Y-you, you, you, you- Argh!”

There are times where he was able to render her incapable of proper speeches. This was one of the few moments where she was reduced to making grunts to express her fury. Not only she looked absurd doing it, she felt ridiculous as well. It normally went like this, “Y-you, you,” followed by an angry grunt and then, “When I get my hands on you, I’ll- another growl replaced her words. “Just you wait, you- a howl that closely resembled a muffled curse word.

“The PD in charge said nothing of you needing to participate in showing your talents or what so ever!” she bellowed at him, finally getting her growls under control. As if poking was not enough, she went to reach for the nearest pillow and whacked it against him. He tried to shield himself from her fury with not much success. The beating and yelping stopped as soon as they registered the presence of the assistant PD, staring wide-eyed, who took it as a sign to leave the couple as they were.

“I just come here to err,” he paused awkwardly, his young face screamed ‘I need to get out from here’, and he cleared his throat, “inform you that Rian has a spot as today’s guest.” With that, he took his leave as fast as his legs could carry him and a swarm of makeup artists, armed with their lipsticks, mascara sticks, brushes and a band of stylist with clothes in hand for Rian.

She took this event as evidences that she should never volunteered to appear together with Yoo Jin in the same show. It was not in her destiny to appear with him. Apparently, the outcome is always the same. Either the image she built over the years gets destroyed or she was recruited to do something that will only humiliate herself.

The host of the show was a man with glasses, protruding teeth and green slacks, turned his attention to the other guests, missing the couple bickering in whispers as the cameras paid their attention to a comedian doing slapsticks comedy. Rian shot him a glare, mouthed “I don’t want to. It is embarrassing. No, you’re not going to do that G-minor chant.” He raised his brow, “Why? Back when we were in Kirin, you didn’t mind me doing it and plus, we even did it together for the couple’s photo shoot. So, what’s the problem?” asked Yoo Jin, who looked indifferent at her refusal.  She retorted, “Back then, I thought you looked cute doing it and because we weren’t officially dating. You are not going to ruin my image. I don’t care if you painted yourself as a dorky rocker but I’m not doing it with you.” Unfortunately for Rian, the host caught the exchange between the two and exposed it to the audiences. Her eyes widened in surprise, while Yoo Jin’s eyes twinkled.

“Ah, I noticed that Rian and Yoo Jin were having an interesting conversation. They were actually debating about a G-minor chant,” he said with a chuckle. “Not closely what normal couples argue about. My wife and I normally quarrel over washing duties, children playtime and bills. This is quite unique.” The whole set roared into laughter, Yoo Jin flashed a smile while Rian gave out a fake smile, embarrassment written on the former idol face.

“Can you show us what exactly this chant?” he inquired. Another fellow host, also a man with square-rimmed glasses and a slightly oversized nose, chirped in, “Oh, I know this. He’s famous for this chant. I think it was F-minor where he yells out and strum an invisible guitar.” “G-minor. The chord is G-minor,” Yoo Jin replied meekly. This perked up the interest of the guests and audiences. “Really? Wow, show us.”

Yoo Jin stood up, and then pointed at Rian, “She must do it with me.” A sly grin forming on his face. Both hosts and the audiences encouraged her to do it with him, reciting, “Do it, do it.” Until she had no choice to get to her feet. Together, they took the stand, pretending to hold invisible guitars and it, while intoning, “G-minor!” Of course, the whole set burst into a fits of laughter. Rian’s face grew hot and red.

If only glare could kill, she wouldn’t mind glaring fiercely at him until he melts to a puddle and evaporate away. But since they were in the presence of the public and other famous people, she had to it in and bear with it, forcefully make herself to smile. Hopefully, after this, the G-minor chant will be forgotten. And she would never be required to do it on live TV.

From then on, they were dubbed as the G-minor couple, coined by the famous MC Yoo Jaesuk. Whenever she appeared on variety shows, weekly entertainments or even interviews, she had to do the G-minor chant as it was a favourite among the netizens.  They became an overnight sensation, thanks to the nickname. She would not admit to anyone, maybe with her children as an exception, that she still thinks he is an absolute endearing husband when he does that occasionally. And no, she will definitely not tell him of that.