Wedding Bells

Romeo N Juliet

Her wedding was nothing like Shin Haesong’s. Yes, they had similar white dress, came from the same school and husbands happened to be their respective former classmates. But what set them apart was, Haesong and JB were in love at the time of their marriage. Unlike her, harbouring one-side love at the time of her marriage with Yoo Jin.                                                            

Once Nana and Ailee left her alone in the room to have their walk down the aisle first, she followed their suits and left the phone on her vanity. She walked down the hall, stopping briefly in front the mirrors placed in the hall and gazed at her reflection for the final time. Her breathing, previously irregular, had returned to its normal beat.

It doesn’t matter now. Just march in there and tell him that you loved him … in front of the whole guests. Maybe it’s not a good idea. If she needs to tell him those three words, it has to be private. Only the two of them present.

She took a deep breath in, and then exhaled. Narrowing her eyes at her reflection, pumping one fist up in the air with the other firmly holding the wedding bouquet, she mused to the mirror, “I can do this. Fighting!” Within a second, all the traces of nervous and worries vanished from her face, replaced with the air of an excited woman to get married. If one to peer closely, could clearly see it was fake, at least she thinks Yoo Jin could.

Relax. You’re not Lee Ji Kyung. You are an actress who has a role to play; the role of a woman blissfully happy that she was about to get married to the man she truly love and love her in return. Not Ji Kyung, who was ridiculously in love with her best friend.

She took a hold of the door and opened it. All eyes fell on her. Admiration, envy and happiness covered the guests as a whole. She saw him stealing glances at his worn out wrist watch. Then, he looked up, staring at her direction with his famous sheepish grin on and the smile etched to his face.

Without her realising that the effort she put to keep her façade was none as she was beaming for real. Somehow, to her, she noticed that he had a sort-of dazed look in his eyes as if he was there physically, not mentally. Taking her eyes off from him, momentarily, she graced the guests with her smile, hoping to dazzle them as she walked down the aisle.

Might as well take the chance now to gloat. Might never know if she will have the chance to have another wedding, she joked. Even if she had a second wedding, she would no longer be in her prime-time. This was also her time to show to Haesong that she too can rock the red carpet (to her altar) in a near similar dress, despite her having the invisible bump. Ha! Take that, Shin Haesong.

In spite of unable to actually see the guests properly, she however managed to make out their outlines, correctly guessing who was who. She spotted Ham Eunjung, her once rival in the acting industry, e of her good friends with her husband, a very famous actor and known as the CF King, they were whispering in each other’s ears. There was also, among the guests, their former principal turned counsellor, who looked like he had not age but the gray colour of his hair had intensified.

Even though she claimed to want to have a small ceremony with family and close friends, she was one not to deny that she purposely sent invitations to most of her friends who were A-list stars. She had a good reason for this. At that time, she thought to herself, she was tying the knot with Jin Yoo Jin, famous rock star, successful actor, accomplished dancer and prominent model. She just had to flaunt for the others that she had taken the most eligible bachelor off the market to boost her reputation (though in reality, there was no need for her to do that).

Someone, or two people seemed to be missing. She nodded at both her sides to get a clearer look at the guests. No JB. No Haesong. She was pretty sure she had sent them invitations, but they may be just running late. Not that she has time to worry about them on her wedding day. So much for flaunting to Haesong.

“Wow, Riannie looks so gorgeous in that white Valentino dress,” Nana whispered to the woman next to her, to which Ailee replied, “I knew it! She looked much better in this, just like a real princess.” Out of the corner of one eye, she saw them slipping into the hall and quickly sitting on the bench with the other guest.

At the altar, she stood straight, facing Yoo Jin whose grin remained. The organ’s reverberation of Canon echoed through the hall, waking up some of the guests who had fallen asleep somewhat while waiting for the bride to grace them with her appearance and walk down the aisle.

She wished the priest would speed up a little, not only she felt like she wanted to heave but her stamina was fleeting precariously as she stood in front of everyone, wrapped in her white wedding dress, hugging her figure.

Nana and Ailee, both had smiles on their faces, at least one of them had. The other was too busy trying to prevent her makeup from melting away, thanks to the salty water she called tears. She sniffled quite loudly, earning a fair nudge on the ribs by her former member. The scowl on Ailee’s face lasted only about a fraction before a smile stole her face. Inching herself closer to Nana, she whispered, “It’s hurts!”

“Shut up, stop sniffling. You’re deafening,” she shot back, without moving an inch of muscle on her face. Ailee, though not so efficient in the ventriloquism, tried her best to not move any muscle. “It’s beautiful and this is a wedding. You’re supposed to cry. Why aren’t you crying? The whole church is and your ex-lover is weeping like a freaking baby,” she hissed. Nana sighed. Looking ahead of her, there Hong Joo was, crying his eyes out, and Ui Bong, dabbing his eyes with the ends of his sleeve.  

She had filmed a lot of wedding scenes and she preferred those compared to the real thing. Those scenes were much shorter and less talking. All she had to was to wait for the director to yell out “Action” and off she goes, crying, smiling (whichever the scene required) and bam! She be locking lips with her on-screen fiancé-

When the priest posted the famous question, “Do you take Lee Ji Kyung as your lawful wedded wife?” It seemed like she snapped out from her inner ramblings and focused on Yoo Jin, who gulped down and replied, “I do.” The priest turned to her and asked her the same question, she answered, “I do.” She heard him sighed but got distracted when the priest announced that the bride and groom may kiss each other.

She leaned closer to the man she now called her husband, they closed the distances between them. Normally, she had been the one who lead the kissing, whether it was during their play time or showcasing their fake lovey-dovey affections to the public. But for the first time in her entire life with him, he was the first to lean and kissed her.

Then he hoisted her in his strong arms, as expected since she wanted him to at least mimic the normal after finishing the kiss scenes, where the hero brings the heroine out from the church with a dramatic but romantic flair.

And he went for the lift, which she would not mind having him carry her but considering the fact that she was pregnant, it was a little risky. She shot him a warning look, not to drop her. He grinned and replied, cockily, “Trust me, princess. I was born with six-pack and superhuman strength.”

The wedding went rather smoothly than she had anticipated. Who caught the bouquet flowers? Was it Nana? Nope. Seul? She missed it by several inches. Ailee? She wished but then, she would have no use of the bouquet except to watch it wilt in the span of couple of days. The winner of the bouquet flowers was none other than Sondong. She never mentioned about Sondong in the wedding, did she? Sondong spent her time giving out free fortune advices to selected celebrities about the prospect of their future (Lee Jun included, who looked grim at her advice). Enough about them. What about them after the wedding? Everything was fine until Yoo Jin landed them in a catastrophic mess.