The Truth Always Comes Out When You're With Me

Romeo N Juliet

No matter what she said or do, she can never lie to him. Countless of books she had read to increase her efficiency in lying, proved futile. Once, there was a time she believed he was a secret psychic. He could always tell that she was lying her off. It took a long time for her to accept the fact that even if she dedicated a lifes worth of study for lying, she would and with no doubt, fail. However, it only took one event to convince her.

This time, it was certain that the new girl JBs dating was Haesung. They must have reconciled during their time together, working on JBs fourth album. And that picture, even if they had blurred out her face ... her disastrous fashion sense and the friendship ring was a dead giveaway. She sighed at her current predicament. Yoo Jin had spent countless of times making sure all JBs romance affairs did not reach her ears or eyes, even to the extent of bribing an electrician to cut her internet connection. The memory was still fresh in her mind.

[Stomping furiously into the living room, she had one finger raised at him and a glare that could kill. He continued to ignore her and paid much attention to the iPad in his hands. “Y-you ... you, you weasel! You did this, didn’t you?”

He lazily looked up at her, hardly blinked and went back to his iPad, replying, “Did what?”

“What did you do the cable and internet connection? There is no reason for the cable and internet connection to get cut off since I have paid the bills two weeks ago!” Rian retorted angrily.

“What makes you think it was my fault?” He raised a brow.

“Are you deaf? I just told you that I paid the bil- Argh, just forget it! Talking to you is like talking to a wall!” She retreated to her room, slamming the door close when he called out, “A wall cannot answer you back, you know.”]

She knew it was him. It had to be. It coincidentally happened at the same time that the media began to take interest in JB and his secret lover, which hinted to be a very famous singer. It was very sweet and considerate of him to try and protect her from being learning of the news. A futile effort because JB had already informed her earlier that there were going to be reports of his relationship with miss As Suzy, circulating around after a mistake on his part during his interview with a reporter. She decided to return the favour, for the next couple of days she had an impossible mission to do; Distract Jin Yoo Jin at all cost. 

He came out from the bathroom, with only a towel around his waist. The same towel that nearly fell when he saw Rian, leaning against the wall, staring at him like a hawk from head to toe.

“Yah, what did I tell you about obeying rule number 5!” Yoo Jin snapped, desperately tried to cover his upper body as much as he could with his free hand. She feigned an innocent expression on her face, furrowed a brow up, crossed her arms and placed a finger on her chin.

“Rule number 5 ... don’t ever touch your guitar,” she answered, satisfied with her reply. He slapped his forehead, “No! That is rule number 3! Rule number 5 is don’t ever, ever barge in on me when I am sleeping or bathing!”

She crossed her arms, pouted, “But you’re not sleeping or bathing.”

She knew he knew that she knew what rule number 5 was exactly. Only she played dumb. She had to. It was step one to get him out from the house. The only way to get him out from the apartment was through the method of annoyance, he is more inclined to do so because he wanted to avoid getting into a fight with her.

“That is not my point! My point is you should not go barge into the toilet or my bedroom when I’m half !” She just laughed at him getting all flustered. He glared at her; she immediately made a zipping motion over .

“Fine, I will turn around to talk to you, happy?” She had her back facing him, staring at the wall instead, “Let’s go out. It’s been a while since we hang out. You’re always busy with your promotions and me with my new drama,” she proposed.

He took the chance to make a mad dash for his room. He muffled something that sound like a “yes”, or at least that was what Rian thought she heard. Only to slip and missed the door, ended up banging the wall. All he could hear was when he entered into the safe comfort of his room was her dinosaur equivalent of a laugh.

Now step two already had been initiated. All whats left for her to do is to get an answer. It was much easier to get a yes whenever he is embarrassed. Good thing was they had been friends for a couple of years now, which meant she knew his secrets, some of it anyway. And Yoo Jins number 1 insecurity was his body. Funny, she thought, he already had wonderful chiselled body. There was nothing to be ashamed over a good, muscular body. Weird Yoo Jin.

They eventually left the apartment after much heated debate over their disguises and Rian continued to pay compliments to his body, which the rock star never really liked her for it because it made him embarrassed with his own body. Yoo Jin put on his fake glasses on and wore a simple black cap over his messy hair and his favourite black leather jacket. She tied her long dyed brown hair into a pony tail, ditched her fur coat (under his orders) and took on green cardigan and brown leggings.

Of they went to the streets, concealing their identities well and the first place they decided was a dubbokki stall. Yoo Jin stood close to Rian, his eyes glued to his feet as he waited for her to pay which the vendor noticed, “You youngsters, remind me of myself. When I was younger, I used to bring my wife on late night dates. It was much romantic that way,” he said, smiling. Rian only bowed politely and replied, “Yes, we have to agree with you. Don’t we, honey?” She nudged at the dazed Yoo Jin. “Ou- Yes, we do,” he returned, glaring at Rian. “Well, here let me give you kids some extra dubbokki. Have fun.”

Being mistaken as a couple was normal for her. They have times where none argue and they just get along with each other. Then, there are times where words became useless and action grew louder, like slamming his door or throwing pillows at him. Somehow, they resembled more like a married couple than a dating one. Despite that their love for each other was purely platonic and borderline friendship. Nothing can ever happen between them. That was for certain ... anyway, back to the plan.

They took the dubbokki with grateful and smiling expression, only Yoo Jin’s seemed forced but the stall owner was inclined to comment, muttering to himself, “I don’t understand kids these days, especially when they are in love.” They left the stall, chomping down on their snacks when they came to a stop and stared at the large windows of a clothing store.

 “Let’s go to the Han River!” Rian declared after they both finished their snacks, earning a glare from Yoo Jin and also, “What? At this time? Yah, are you crazy? Why do you want to go there anyway?”

Now, his curiosity peaked. She tried avoiding his eyes, answering as nonchalantly as possible, “Nothing, I just feel like visiting the Han River.” They walked back to his car. She noticed he did not fight back, just sighed and complied.

“Fine, let’s go.” He stopped the car and they climbed out. He leaned against the car’s frame while she headed for the bench, taking a seat, patting the seat beside her for him to join. He reluctantly brought himself to seat on the bench with her, glancing back and forth from her to the bridge, eyebrow furrowed, as if trying to figure her out.

“What are we doing here?” he asked again, now giving his utmost attention to the bridge while she tried to sound natural, replying, “Nothing, I just thought we could use the fresh air.”

They sat in silence for what it felt like eternity before one of them spoke. “Yah, princess. It’s fine. I don’t really need this. Thanks for the effort, though.” It was not Rian.

Her jaw dropped open, now she was gawking at him and he chose to ignore her. “What?” was all that she could say. Yoo Jin turned to her, having a smile plastered on his face. “You maybe a good actress but you’re a terrible liar. Let me do the protecting, instead.”

Busted. That was the first word came to her mind. She remembered grinning at him, giving him that Oh, you got me!look. They both exchanged hearty laughs before he got up to his feet and held his hand out. She took it and he pulled her to her feet. He began to step away from the bench, heading for the car. You cant lie to me, princess. Im the best Rian lie detector in the world, he said, smugly earning her scowl. She decided then that she cannot lie to him ever again. The end of a lying Rian. Or at least, to Yoo Jin, it was really the end of her lying habit.