The Necklace

Romeo N Juliet

 

There are few things that Rian treasured the most. That would be her fur coats, handheld mirror, her wedding ring and the necklace that adorned her neck.

Rian was bored. She had just recently wrapped the filming of her latest comedy romance drama and was looking forward for the next project. Right now, she was skimming through the scripts her manager just received from various companies and sent to her doorsteps.

Let’s see. Oh … Song Joong Ki’s attached to this production. There’s Yoo Ah In. Park Yoochun. What are they trying to do with the cast of Sungkyungkwan Scandal? They’re missing Park Minyoung?  

She skimmed the pages to find more information on the drama. Found her name in the front page and the title of the drama; then tapped on the script and smirked to herself, (snorted).

Ah, here she is! Another sequel? Nope. This script says this is about friendships, revenge and romance. Pass. With all the mega stars, she’ll be overshadowed by them. Out of the question.

The scripts began to pile up on her massive queen-size bed as she tossed script after script aside. Nothing kindled her interest. Most of the roles were similar to the last role she had played and she needed something to break out from being stereotype.

The angsty teenager with a dark secret. Done. Evil, malicious popstar. Done.  Love struck, dumb teenager with parental issues. Done. The tragic heroine. Done. The one who got away from her lover. Done. Half of the roles she was offered was too similar from one another except her last role. A rather controversial role at the moment. Playing as a Japanese lesbian diplomat was the right decision to get people to notice and take her seriously.

She sighed and tossed the final script at the table. She grabbed her phone from the coffee table to check the time and gasped at the date.

Damn! Tomorrow. How could I forget it? Ah, what am I going to get him since I pestered him so much to get me a fancy gift? Crap. I need to go out now.

She immediately sat up from her sitting position and rushed to head out towards the door. She took her purple fur coat off the stand, unlocked the door and closed it behind her. Descending the stairs as quick as she could and slipped into the massive crowd walking passed by.  

Rian made her way to the nearest clothing store for men. Browsing through the rack, gingerly the clothing one by one. But none caught her eyes. Most of the clothing here was not Yoo Jin’s style. Too elegant for his taste and not rock n’ roll enough for him.

She left the store, in favour of something else. It was quite a long walk down the Hongdae before she settled in a café to a quick caffeine restock. There, she overheard two young girls, possibly in their elementary years, discussing over celebrities fashion and one of the celebrities mentioned was none other than her housemate of a year.

“Have you seen his hairstyle lately? I know he’s hot but the long blonde hair is not just working for him,” remarked one of the girls, to which her friend nodded, “Yeah, you’re right. He’s better with that short hair; I hope he’ll get a new one before his comeback.”

Finally, she had the perfect gift for him. Now, it’s time to buy herself a pair of scissors and a magazine for hairs.

She headed for the nearest convenience store and bought the items before heading home. Placing her coat at the coat hanger, she walked towards to the kitchen and put on an apron. She pulled out several cookbooks from the cabinet and skimmed through the pages.

It was the only thing she could think off doing, to kill some time before he returned from the studio. Besides, he had always chided her for having her mother over so that the two of them won’t die of starvation on days when they wanted a day to just hang out in the comfort of their apartment.

About three hours had passed before she heard the clicking sound of door as it was closed. She peeked out from the kitchen only to find him hanging his coat at the hanger. The rock star strolled into the kitchen, only to have himself surprised with his sight. Apparently the sight of Rian in the kitchen with pots and pans was not the things he had in mind when he smelt something good coming from the kitchen.

“W-what are you doing? W-why?” was the only thing he managed to croak out. She smirked at the clueless rock star. “I just thought it was time for me to start taking the art of cooking,” she replied, shot him a quick glower.

“I-I see. What did you do? Bad press? Did that Lee Jun had been chasing you again? Do you need me to beat some sense into him?” he raised a brow. Rian ushered him to a chair, produced a pair of scissors from her apron’s pocket and grasped some of his dyed blond hair. Within a fraction of a second, a lock of his hair being chopped off by her hands.

He jumped out from the chair, grasping his hair and threw an accusing glance at her. “WHAT THE HELL?” he bellowed at her. She only grinned at the shocked Yoo Jin.

“I’m doing you a favour, you’re having your comeback soon and you have a terrible hairstyle,” she answered.

“I have hairstylists for that! Not you! Put that scissors away before someone else get hurt,” he shrieked, narrowed his eyes at her.

“You sit down! If you want to end up bald, keep running away. Otherwise, just sit tight and wait for the results,” she ordered to which he obeyed with a slight protest in the form of a girly shuffle of his feet.

It was about ten minutes after that, he was the first one to speak out, “How’s my hair?”

She only returned with an absentminded wave of her free hand and muttered something along, “Fantastic” and “Maybe this is a bad idea after all.” The coast went back to quiet before he chirped in again, this time, saying, “Happy first year anniversary for being housemates.”

He held out a necklace, dangling from his wrist in front of her. “Here,” he said, “it’s not worth much and the diamond is fake but my mother told me to give it to the nice girl who brought me to her store after years of separation.”

Rian stopped from annihilating his hair further to carve a smile, hidden from his view. She continued to cut his hair, leaving the necklace dangling before replying, “You’re going to help me to put this around my neck.”

With the necklace now adorned her neck, she finally let go of the scissors, crossed her arms across her chest and admired her handwork. When Yoo Jin finally had a glimpse of his hair, he wailed, “My hair!”

“What? You look better now than before. Your last look was taken off from a homeless man. Personally, I think you looked better. You just need to dye your hair either dark red or black.”

“Now, let’s eat. I cooked your favourite.” The two of them went to the kitchen, took a seat and started to eat. In matter of minutes, the kitchen was filled with their endless chatters of recalling the past and present.

She never removed the necklace unless it was bathing time. She did not care it was cheap or that it had fake diamonds but the very fact that it was the first gift Yoo Jin gave her made her treasured it very much. The necklace was one of the reasons behind her many decisions with matters related to her heart and a certain rock star. Without it, she might never had a blissful life as an actress with a loving husband and adorable children.