The Bride and her Bridesmaids (a HershE Reunion)

Romeo N Juliet

No woman could ever forget her wedding day. Especially the first. She was no exception to that fact.

She had been staring at the mirror for an awfully long time, without really doing anything. Her eyes scanned her whole appearance, every hair (coarse or fine) was under thorough inspection. Her eyes narrowed at the sight of her own flawless reflection. Too engrossed with her scrutiny, she failed to hear the door behind her creaked open.  

There was nothing (absolutely nothing at all) that seemed out of place. Everything. Her clothes, her hair, her makeup was perfect. The weather had been fine. No indication that there was an incoming blizzard or a rainstorm. Nope. The weather was all sunshine and rainbows. But she was pretty sure that the universe was trying to tell her to enjoy the day before it ends.

She was about to unhook the pin holding up her hair when she felt someone swat her hand away. A familiar voice rang in her ears, teasingly. “Stop fiddling with your hair. It’s perfect.”

She folded her arms, gazing at another reflection forming on the vanity and gave out a fake pout, “I’m not disturbing it. It’s just that,” she paused for a moment, “I don’t know whether it’s a good idea to have my hair up like this,” she replied, gesturing at her head. “Yoo Jin might not like it.”

The foreign reflection carved out a large smile on her face, placed her hands on Rian’s bare shoulders and adjusted the pin slightly before she went to straighten the ribbon around her waist. “Thanks,” the actress muttered.

But less than a minute, Rian’s hands automatically went for the pin again, and this time, both of her hands were whacked by a different hand and another feminine voice produced giggles. Rian looked up at her two bridesmaids, glaring at them when her attempt to adjust her pin (which she thought had been done poorly by Nana) was foiled. Again.

“Would you stop that? That pin is perfectly attuned to your hair. Do I have to spell it out to you?” Nana retorted, playfully. She smirked at Rian’s narrowed eyes while Ailee bemused, “I think you should spell it out. If you’re not doing it, I can do it.”

“Okay, okay, I get it. I’m not going to touch that stupid pin again,” she replied, warily. The bridesmaids, in turn, stared at the bride with Cheshire grins. The first one to speak out was the Korean-American songstress, raising a perfectly arched brow in an almost ninety degree angle, “All this non-stop disturbance towards your pin. It’s not really about the pin, is it?” she asked, coyly.

Nana’s eyes widened in astonishment, breaking into a wide, almost proud-like smile and clapped her hands briefly, complimenting Ailee, “That’s a good insight, especially coming from you.”

“Thanks, my last boyfriend used to tell me that I can be pretty receptive at times,” Ailee said, beaming with a satisfied smile. Now, they both cast their sights on the star of today’s event. Nana spoke, “I agree with her. You being this fidgety about the pin, and if I have to guess, the pin in this context would be a certain rock star.”

Rian scoffed at her reply, though she had the sort-of busted look carved on her face. Ailee nodded along as Nana continued on her talk of great insight, “Just relax. It’s all going to be fine. The weather’s perfect. The venue is wonderful. He’s perfect and handsome too. You have Lady Luck on your side today.”

Rian’s ears perked up at the sound of his name, glancing curiously at Nana, who just winked at her and continued, “You’re perfect, even-

Ailee cut her before she could even finished her sentences, chirped helpfully, “With that baby bump.” Nana shot her a quick glare to tell her to keep lock on the sensitive matter. Ailee mouthed, “Sorry. Well, it’s really not that visible, since you’re still early.”

“I know, everything is too perfect. What if suddenly a blizzard comes or even a rainstorm destroys the wedding? I feel like the universe is trying to tell to enjoy this before it turns into a fiasco,” Rian whimpered.

The other two chuckled. “You’re too paranoid. For starters, it’s summer. Ergo, no winter. As for your rainstorm theory, the cute weatherman said there was no room for the possibility to rain today,” Nana returned.

“You’re having second thoughts, aren’t you?” questioned Nana, Ailee nodded in agreement but Rian remained stoic. “It’s normal for women to think of that, considering your little situation, I- Ailee nudged her with her elbows, earning a scowl from the other singer, but her expression made it clear that she wanted to be include in the conversation. Nana shot a fleeting glower before clearing and carried on, “-We can understand how nervous you are. Hell, you should be more nervous than most normal women.”

She knew there was a reason for Nana and Ailee to be her group mates. Despite their rocky relationship at the peak of their HershE popularity, the friendship they built since their trainee days were unbreakable. But there are things she wished not to disclose with them. Somehow, would not shut and she continued to spill out more than she hoped for.

“What if this is a mistake? Sure, now we are doing fine. Five years down the road, maybe ten. I can’t say for sure that our marriage will last. I mean the man is marrying me because I’m having his kid. We are friends but that’s all we are going to be,” her voice lowered, laced with uncertainty and fear. She gazed absentmindedly at the necklace around her bare neck and it delicately.

“If he cheats on me with another woman or,” her voice began to trail off, “he finds the one woman he truly loves, I-I don’t think I can handle it,” she finished. Nana and Ailee gaped at Rian in amazement, then turned to face each other and Ailee gasped, “You do love him, don’t you?”

Nana nudged the other girl to keep quiet, putting her hand over Ailee’s mouth and cleared , “We can’t tell you what to do, Ji Kyung. It’s really your choice but what I can tell you is, if you really love him and don’t want to be hurt by him, tell him the truth before you get married,” she finished, handing her a cellphone before ushering the other woman out from the waiting room.

“Don’t keep him waiting,” she chided gently, before closing the door behind her. Rian gave the cell phone in her hand a stare, tapping the message icon and slowly constructed her message. The words formed and her thumb left hanging in the air, just above the icon.

Doubts engulfed her mind as she gave the text another read. She loved him but does he to her? Did she really want to bind herself in a one-sided love for a possible long time? And if so, will she strong enough to weather it through? All of the hardships she ever encountered, she had him to help her. If their marriage comes to an end, will he help her then? Most importantly, the question that lingered in her mind and bothered her the most was could she continue to love him if he only sees her as a friend? She did that mistake once, loving a man even though he only sees her nothing more than a dear friend. The pain still stings to this day.

She shook her head, carving a smile that looked slightly awkward on her beautiful face. She immediately got to her feet and left the cellphone on the vanity. Giving her appearance a last look, she headed for the room and closed the door behind her.

The simple necklace around her neck, she toyed with her slim fingers gingerly. Who knew such a cheap necklace would hold a huge significance in her life? For without it, she might not even have the chance to admire the handsomeness that Yoo Jin’s black tuxedo had bestowed on her husband. Deep in her heart, she was glad that she decided not to send that message after all. If he answered the latter, she would definitely left him at the altar.

The cellphone screen showed the message that she decided not to send before the screen light dimmed; do you love me or do you like me?