The Holiday Disaster Part. 2

Romeo N Juliet

She used to wish for a perfect honeymoon. Sandy beaches, wind breezing and the romantic walk (hand in hand as they pace slowly) on the beach, just before the sun sets. Or the gorgeous view of the valley below them, the moon shining down upon them brightly, her in the arms of her husband and together they basked under the romantic atmosphere. The first night of being newly-weds was nothing what she had pictured in mind.

Yoo Jin sang the first line of Park Hyunbin’s “Shabang, shabang” causing Rian to giggle at him, since he tried to sing it nasally. Despite unable to see his face as she was on his back, she could picture the goofy expression he had on his face. He always did that when he was belting out the tunes of trot. He came to a sudden halt and his singing stopped as well.

“Yah, why did you stop? You haven’t reached the chorus yet,” chided Rian, playfully but pretended to sound unfazed. He adjusted her position on his back and then pointed his index finger towards a building in front of them, perhaps about a 100m ahead.

“Look, there is it,” he said. Her eyes followed the direction of his finger and met the building he was pointing out. The cabin. The cabin was not what she had expected. This was what she had pictured in mind before setting her eyes upon such wonderful mansion. A cabin, made entirely out of perfect and good quality wood, with a master bedroom, two guest rooms, Jacuzzi, and balcony overlooking the valley. That’s was it.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Sweet mother of goodness! Her brain yelled at the majestic sight of the cabin. She could not believe the luxurious cabin was right in front of her eyes. Heck, it looked better than the Cullen Home from that movie Twilight. Like Tony Stark’s kind of home.

From the bottom of the stairs, leading to the cabin, they can clearly see the observatory tower and the wide balcony, fashioned like a pirate ship deck, minus the pirate décor. Both of them stared at the cabin, wide-eyed and jaw dropped open.  

“Wow, Taecyeon really knows how to get the good ones. No wonder he refused to let go of her. I mean I can understand. Not only she’s smart, humble, beautiful and witty but even her family is one heck of a family. With all the future in-laws are so fantastic, who wouldn’t marry her,” muttered Yoo Jin. Rian raised her brow, asked, “If you like her so much, why don’t you go and marry her instead?”

“I wished but I already married you, didn’t I?” he replied, grinning at her. “Come on, let’s go. I want to take that warm shower I’ve been dying to get my hands on,” she huffed, hidden from his view was a smile on her face.

They reached at the cabin’s double doors. The doors were transparent and sturdy. Before Yoo Jin could take a hold of the doors to push it open, the door was opened from the inside and greeting them was a girl in uniform, perhaps eighteen or so, with a smile so bright it could literally burned their poor eyes and possible the cleanest gums they had ever seen.

“Ah, you must be the guests who are having their honeymoon here. I am Hyosung and I will be one of the ten people staff that will serve you both during your stay with us,” the girl introduced as she bowed. “Please follow me,” she added, articulated at the corridor behind her.

All in a sudden, the lights went out and the smile on Hyosung’s face evaporated. In the background, the rock star and his wife, the actress, heard some loud noises coming from the end of the corridor. Both husband and wife strained their ears trying to decipher the yelling going on.

It sounded something among the lines of “What the hell? Who turned off the lights? Switch it back on! I swear I’ll murder someone if the lights are not on!” and “It’s not my fault! Somebody didn’t pay the bill!”

Seriously? Really? The one thing that could make all her troubles prior to reaching the cabin (yes, the rain, drive, hunger) go away just happened to get its electricity cut off!

There was a beeping sound one after the other, coming from the girl’s phone. She fished it out from her pocket and Hyosung froze momentarily before flashing a sheepish smile, both of their eyes were set on the girl in front of them.

“Well, our master had forgotten to pay the bill so they finally cut the bill. Fret not, it will be back in two days. In the meantime, let me show you the way to your rooms.”

“H-how about hot shower? The Jacuzzi. I can hear it calling my name,” muttered Rian, whose happy feelings were beginning to slip at an alarming rate.

Just as she was about to take them into their rooms, a loud yell coming from the end of the corridor was heard. It belonged to a woman, roughly around her thirties, commanding attention from Hyosung, went on ranting in a mixture of English and Korean language.

“I thought I told you many times to remind Master Taecyeon to- she stopped midway when she spotted two confused newly-weds behind Hyosung and immediately switched to a polite tone and welcoming them into the cabin.

“Ah, pardon me for my bad manners before one could easily forgotten one’s manners in the time of rage,” she spoke, bowing about ninety degrees to the couple and oddly, spoke like a grandmother instead of a young woman.

“As you can see, we are experiencing a little trouble with the electricity and most of our staff had emergency errands to attend. So, there’s only my daughter and I to cater your demands.”

Both Rian and Yoo Jin had no idea how to address her, only replying with raised eyebrows. She, in turn, carved an amused expression on her face. One can hardly argue with the woman when she settled her eyes on the husband and wife.

Rian’s hair stuck to her face, her makeup washed away, leaving a messy trail of what’s left of her makeup, her once white bridal dress was now covered with mud and filth (they had been dragged along Yoo Jin carried her to the cabin) and there were holes on the dress. The groom, on the other hand, had mud covered his once-black, shiny shoes, hair flattened to his head, dirt all over his clothing, includding his face, his white t-shirt looked like it had seen better days and his sleeves rolled up where bruises and cuts can be seen.

“No, you listen here, you, you- the grunt of frustration made its appearance and disappeared as she regained her speech, -woman, I don’t care how you do it or what you have to do but I want to have a rest. After the things I went through today, (she paused and glared at Yoo Jin) thanks to my dearest husband, I want a nice, long, hot bath or shower whatever. Point is I want warm water inside the Jacuzzi tub and I don’t care if the Jacuzzi used electricity!” she hollered, with arms both on her hips.

She had to admit that Hyosung and her mother did not deserve to be scolded or yelled at the way she did. They were good folks. And very efficient. And miracle workers. She did receive the hot shower she asked for. She had no idea how they do it but when she returned to her room, inside her bathroom robe. There it was flowers all over the water inside the Jacuzzi and the temperature was just quite right.

She undressed the robes, leaving it to fall on the porch and dipped herself into the waters. She went to gaze the beautiful view of the sea, her eyes closed as she took in the warmth of the water. She sighed of relief.

In a split of a second, she heard the sound of water splashing and felt the water rising and spreading toward her. Opening her eyes to see the commotion, she found herself yelling, “Yah! What are you doing?”  and her eyes narrowed at the man she called her husband.

Idiot. Can’t believe she actually married this guy, knowing him inside out.           

“You were taking too long to enjoy your bath. Plus, it’s cold. So, I thought I could join you. After all, being in the Jacuzzi by yourself isn’t fun, you know?” he . She snorted at him but refused to answer. She was not in the mood to argue with him over some petty matter and went back to closing her eyes.

There was only silence and the sound of the wind breeze. It lasted for about two minutes when she heard him saying, “Everyone dreamed of a perfect honeymoon but I think the imperfect ones are much better.” She peeked at him to find him, crossing his arms over his oh-so muscular chest and both eyes were close.

She couldn’t resist poking him, just to check whether he was awake and simply closing his eyes or that he had drifted to slumber. It was proven that he was asleep when she heard the snore and he did not respond to her poking.

What he said about the imperfect honeymoons are the best, she had to agree. Despite all that, they could recalled the memories and spend the entire day laughing at the hilarity of their situation. Good old days. The first night together … was just her and Yoo Jin, cuddled closely to one another, in their bathroom robes, with the television blaring at them. Too tired to get the romantic walk on the beach.