Parents' Reaction

The Diary

June 15

Those mothers!!!!

Aaaaaaargh!!!!

Sorry for the sudden outburst, it’s just that those moms are driving me crazy!

So, Siwon convinced me to back to my original plan to take music major. I agreed. So we’ve been browsing for information to choose for the most suitable university for us. In the end, we settled for Seoul National University. That place seemed to have the best reputation, both for business and music major. The problem is, people say it’s really hard to get in. That’s why we chose SungKyunKwan University as the second option, because well, Siwon’s already got an offer to study there. Then KyungHee University for the third option, because they have really nice art and music department there.

So that’s it. Once we settled with the college options, we decided to break the news to our parents, that we’re going to go to college together, Siwon in business, I’m in art, and that we’re, you know, together. The entrance test will be held next week, so we decided to talk to our parents tonight.

We gathered up our parents in Siwon’s living room, telling them that we need to talk about our college options, which we really do. Siwon and I were setting up snacks and drink in the kitchen. We could hear our parents chattering with themselves. I felt my hands began to sweat due to nervousness. Apparently Siwon noticed, because the next thing I know, he was already standing close beside me, holding my cold hands.

“It’s okay Kiyu... We’ll face them together. Whatever their reaction will be.” He whispered.

“I know. But Won-ah... What if they can’t accept our relationship? What if they can’t understand our feelings? What if they can’t accept that we’re in love? What if they throw us out? Where would we live?” I rambled, but Siwon just ruffled my hair and chuckled.

“You worry too much. Do you think our parents would really throw us out?” he asked with a smile, dimples showing on both cheeks.

I sighed.

“No, but it could happen, right?” I asked sadly.

He chuckled again.

“Like I said, we’ll face it together.” He smiled. When he smiled so beautifully like that, I had no choice but to nod and agree with him. So we walked together to the living room with trays in our hands, drinks with Siwon, snacks with me.

“So, what you wanna talk about, kids?” My dad started. Sitting on the couches in order from left to right are; my dad, my mom, Siwon’s mom, then Siwon’s dad. I hesitated a bit. It was Siwon who spoke up.

“Moms and Dads, Kyuhyun and I have made our college choices. As planned, I will study business and management, while Kiyu will study music. Do you agree?” he asked calmly. I looked up to him in admiration. I bet Siwon will make an awesome leader someday. He knows very well how to control a situation.

“Music? Are you sure about that, Kyu? I thought you liked math.” My dad asked.

“I do, but I like music more.” I said in a squeaking voice.

The parents were silent for a while until my mom spoke up.

“I think it’s fine with me. As long as you are serious about it. Don’t you agree?!” She asked my dad with a threatening tone made as sweet as possible. I love her so much!

My dad grinned.

“Sure. I wasn’t gonna disagree anyway. I just wanted to make sure that Kyuhyun willbe fully responsible with his choices.” He said.

I was gonna run to hug them. I’m really thankful for having such understanding parents like them. But then I realized. The night wasn’t over. They may not beso understanding anymore when Siwon and  I tell them about our little secret. So I hold back, I just smiled nervously at them.

“Mom? Dad?” Siwon then turned to his parents.

“No objections here, kiddo!” Siwon’s dad raised his hands up as if we were making him surrender. I chuckled a bit at his action.

“So, where are you going to study? Are you taking the offer from SungKyunKwan?” Siwon’s dad asked.

I glanced at Siwon as he was smiling tenderly.

“We were just about to get to that. And no, dad, I don’t think I’m taking the offer. We will both apply to Seoul National.” Siwon said.

Both our dads looked surprised.

“Whoa, bold choices, kids. I’m impressed. I heard it’s hard to get in there.” My dad exclaimed.

“Oh, I will be so proud if you both get in!” It was Siwon’s mom’s turn to speak.

“But, why don’t you just go to KyungHee?” My mom asked.

“Mom, are you doubting my ability?” I winced at her.

“No, no, no. It’s not that. I’m sure you’ll be accepted in Seoul National, but KyungHee is closer to home. I’d get to see you more often.” She said.

“Oh, Mom. Please. We’re not going out of Seoul.” I whined.

“I know, it’s just that....” She whined back.

Then Siwon’s mom tried to soothe her by rubbing her back.

“So is that all, kids?” My dad asked.

I tensed up again. Siwon on the other hand, was looking quite relaxed. He smiled and spoke.

“Umm.. No. Actually we still have one more thing to tell you.” He started then paused for a few seconds then he grabbed my hands and continued, “Kyuhyun and I.... we’re in, a relationship.” He said, clearly choosing his words very carefully.

I didn’t even dare to look at the parents. I kept my gaze down on the tip of my slipper. Everyone went dead silent for what seemed like an hour, although I know it couldn’t have been that long. And finally I heard my dad spoke.

“By relationship you mean romantic relationship?” he asked.

I tightened up my grip around Siwon’s hand, still not daring to lift my head up.

“Yes. Romantic.” Siwon stated.

Then silent again. But because it was so uncomfortable it could actually kill me, I finally decided to look around. There was Siwon’s dad, trying to hold back a smile. Of course, because he knew about us. Then there was my dad. Also trying to hold back laughter, though this one I did not know why. Had Siwon’s dad told my dad about us? I couldn’t think. Then there were our moms, looking shocked, or sick, staring at us in disbelieve.

I felt my heart sunk. Oh God. Our moms gonna kill us! Or worse, they were gonna hate us! I felt like crying. Siwon pulled me closer, squeezing my shoulder with his hand that was previously holding onto mine. Drop of tears were starting to form in the corner of my eyes. I was staring at my mom with pleading eyes, trying to make her understand. My knees began trembling. But then they laughed.

Everyone laughed!!!!

Moms turned to each other, doing repetitive high-fives. Dads were chuckling at the sight. I was dumbfounded. I turned to Siwon, he was looking as shocked as I do. His thick brows were brought together in a frown, his eyes full of questions, his mouth was left hanging. I’m pretty sure I look exactly like that. I mean, I was like, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??!!!

“Finally!! They confessed!! Yeehaw!!” My mom squealed to Siwon’s mom.

“I knoooowww!!! Finally!” Siwon’s mom responded cheerfully.

All that Siwon and I managed to let out of our lips were a chorused “Huh?!”

“Oh we know! We knew! We’ve always known!” Siwon’s mom grinned.

“Huh?!”

“We know that you kids are dating!” it was my mom.

“Huh?!”

“I saw your dia--, I mean your journal.” She grinned.

“You saw... huh?!”

“We’ve been trying to catch you making out, but wow you were careful.” Siwon’s mom joined.

“Huh?!”

“We were getting desperate trying to get you kids to confess, right?! Finally we got a confession! Yaaay....” my mom squealed like a teenage girl.

I still couldn’t believe what was happening in front of me. I thought I was just imagining things. I mean, come on! Was that really happening?Then I heard Siwon’s voice.

“Ummmm... Does it mean you’re all okay with our relationship? I mean, you don’t mind us dating?” he asked shyly.

The parents laughed. All four of them.

“I guess we’ve all seen this coming a long time ago. We have dealt with it.” My dad spoke.

Warmth started creeping up back in my body as I felt relieved by their reaction. I didn’t expect this to be so easy. I glanced at Siwon who was obviously as relieved as I am with this outcome. We were enjoying exchanging glances when I suddenly heard my mom exclaimed.

“Ah! Now that we finally got you guys to confess, I think there’s only one thing left to do.” She said as she glanced slyly at Siwon’s mom, who was nodding and clapping her hands excitedly.

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this?” I whined as I hid my face behind Siwon’s back.

“Let’s get to wedding planning!” my mom said.

“We can finally proceed to the next step. Let’s shop for wedding preps tomorrow!” Siwon’s mom continued.

“I knew this would happen.” Siwon’s dad laugh.

I just stood there, stunned, as another wave of shock hit through me. A wedding? They were already talking about a wedding? Honestly, I have prepared for the worse, but I haven’t prepared for... that.

“Whoa whoa whoa... Mom! Dad! What?! Wedding?!” Siwon asked. I could see he didn’t expect that to happen.

The parents stopped talking. They all fell silent for a while. I felt their gazes pierced though my bones. I can tell you, it was scary!

“You don’t want to marry Kyuhyun, Siwonnie?” Siwon’s mom asked a little sad.

“Of course I do. I love him.” Siwon said, I blushed.

“Then it’s settled!” Siwon’s mom exclaimed, and they continue talking about things I can’t really digest.

“But we’re still in high school!” Siwon whined.

“You’ll graduate soon.” My mom replied.

“But we’re only 18.”

“Exactly. Kyuhyun’s only 17 even. Do you think we will allow you to live together in college without chaperone and without the bond of marriage? I thought you’re more responsible than that, Siwon!” Siwon’s mom argued.

“Dad....” Siwon whined to his dad, asking for help.

“Sorry Son, I don’t have a problem with you and Kyuhyun being together, and I certainly don’t have a problem with you and Kyuhyun being married.” Siwon’s dad giggled.

“But we can’t get married!” Siwon shouted in desperation. I don’t know why, but that moment I felt some pains in my chest, like somehow my heart’s being squeezed.

“Why?” Siwon’s mom winced.

“Becaaaause.... Because same- marriage is not legal here. There, I said it.” Siwon sighed heavily.

“Oh we got that covered. We’ve been looking for information, and so we’ve decided that we’ll just go to New York. I’ll get the papers ready. How about, a week after your graduation?! Siwon’s mom rambled again.

So that’s it, just like that, they decided that me and Siwon will get married before we go to university. What I thought will be a scary night of anger and disappointment and rejection, turned out to be a very crazy night of acceptance and revelation and wedding talks. Siwon and I remained quiet in the background. I don’t know about him, but I wassecretly happy that things turned out this way. I just hate it that our moms were playing tricks on us! They should’ve just told us from the beginning and spare me the anxiety! Aish... Anyway, that’s the result of our news breaking. It drained my energy. I’m going to sleep now! Later!!

 

The bride-to-be, wait what?!!

-Cho Kyuhyun-

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, this is not going according to plan, but... Yea, they're getting married! At such a young age! I hope I'm making the right decision with this whole marriage thing... Anyway, kindly comment to let me know what you think about this chapter.... Thankeeeee...