Not An Attempt, But I Need To Write This

The Diary

February 3

OH MY GOD! I’m so happy! Oh my God!

---Sorry for the sudden girly hysteria. I’m back to focus now, everything is under control.

Hello, this is the birthday boy Kyuhyun. Come on, wish me a happy birthday!! Oh look! I’m asking a book for a birthday wish. I must be going crazy! Anyway I’m not writing an attempt report. This is just a regular journal entry to document my day. And so far it’s been a blast!

I’m not the type of people who are excited over birthdays. I mean, what’s so great about getting old? The only thing I enjoy about birthday is getting presents. But sadly, as you grow older, there would be less and less people who actually give you presents. However, Siwon was always the one who remembers my birthday. And he always gave me cool presents.

So this night, like the years before, exactly when the clock strikes 12, I heard a knock on my window. It’s not Siwon if not on time, the guy functions like clockwork! I was expecting Siwon to be crouching outside my window, grinning ear to ear, yelling “happy birthday Kiyuuuu!!” with a voice that would wake up the whole neighborhood. But this year was different.

When I opened my curtain, Siwon was no where outside my window. Instead, there’s a teddy bear sitting on Siwon’s usual spot. Of course I had to scoff. I mean, teddy bear?? Like, seriously??!! Siwon must have forgotten the fact that I’m not five years old, or that I’m NOT a girl. A 16 year old teenage guy would certainly NOT appreciate being given a teddy bear, whatever the occasion may be. But I took the stuffed bear nonetheless, and I’m glad I did, because if I left the bear outside, thinking that it might be one of Siwon’s pranks, none of the following things will happen.

So I grabbed the bear, thinking that I will have a childhood crush to murder tomorrow. No matter how much I love Siwon, pulling a prank on my birthday is unforgivable, and he will have to face my wrath. But then I saw a note stuck on the bear’s back.

“Look down.” The note said. Clearly in Siwon’s hand writing.

I quickly yet carefully stepped out of my window, crouched on the roof, and took a glance below. Siwon was there, down in my back yard, gesturing me to jump down and he’ll catch. I gave him the ‘What the hell?’ look and he responded with the ‘come on, it’s alright’ smile.

After considering whether I should jump or not for a good five minutes, I finally decided on jump. After all, Siwon had always been reliable and trustworthy. So if he said it’s gonna be alright, then it will mostly be definitely alright. So I jumped, then I landed on Siwon. He effortlessly caught me, like I weigh nothing.

Then I hissed at him.

“You do realize that you just made me jump down from five meters high, don’t you? Tell me one good reason why I had to do that or I’ll skin you alive!” I threatened, but as usual, my threats never really worked on him, so what I got in return was only Siwon who was smiling wider.

“Kiyu... Do you remember the birthday wishlist we made when we were 7?” Siwon asked.

“Yea, why?” I asked back.

“We wrote down 10 things we want to get for our birthday. Remember number 10?” Siwon asked again.

Honestly, I didn’t even know what I wrote on the list, moreover the order I wrote them in. So, I just shook my head and raised my eyebrows. Siwon then handed a crumpled old piece of paper over to me. I look at it and read. My eyes grew bigger as I read further down the paper. Wrote on it, in my 7-year-old hand-writing, was the 10 things I wish for my birthday. I had forgotten all about it, but Siwon didn’t. Dear God, he even kept the list!

I stared at the paper and kept reading back and forth in disbelieve. I never took Siwon as the sentimental type, but I guess he is. Then something caught my attention. I realized, I had all the things I wrote in the list, except number 10. When I thought about it, actually I got it all from Siwon. I was like OH MY GOD!

“Siwon! Did you... Did you give me my birthday presents, based on this list?!” Seriously, I can’t believe Siwon was actually making my wish list come true. He’d been getting me the things I wrote on the wish list every year, in order. First the robot, then the clarinet, so on and so forth. Then my eyes stuck on the last line. I looked up doubtfully at Siwon, and he replied with an encouraging smile.

“Ready for wish number 10?” He asked happily.

I looked down again on the piece of paper, inhaling deeply, then reading the last entry of the wish list outloud.

“Wish number 10. Carving names with Siwon-hyung on every tree along our street. Engage!” I said.

Siwon chuckled happily then grabbed my hands and dragged me to the tree just outside my front lawn. And together, we were running around the neighborhood in the middle of the night, carving our names on the trees, literally going back to our 7-year-old-selves. That moment, I thought it was the best birthday I ever had.

It was around 2 a.m. when we finished carving. Siwon pinched my cheeks again and wish me a very happy birthday. We were both tired and sleepy. So we head back to our houses, which –have i told you?- are side by side. But instead of climbing his own window, Siwon followed me up to my bedroom window. And I, being as happy as I was that moment, I decided to let him be.

“I’m gonna sleep here tonight!” Siwon announced the second he reached my bed.

“What? Why?”

“Because I’m too tired to climbed down your window then back up to my room.” He said lightly, then he grabbed my hand and continued, “Come on, let’s sleep. We have school tomorrow.”

I had no choice but to obey and lay down beside him. A few seconds later Siwon snuggled closer to me then kissed my temple and said in a sleepy voice.

“Happy birthday again Kiyu, always be mine.” He said with his eyes shut and arms around my neck.

I felt my heart skipped a bit, literally! That moment when Siwon’s lips touched my skin and he said that intoxicating words, I knew deep down that Siwon felt like I do. I wanted to tell him how much I love him right then and there, but then I remember about my birthday wish list and all that Siwon had done for me. It got me thinking, how can I claim that I love him when I never do anything sweet for him to make him believe my heart? So I knew I would have to at least prepare a proper way to ask him out and be mine. At least my chance would come soon, Valentine’s Day is just few days away.

I waited until Siwon fell deep in his sleep before I slid out of bed and write this. I have to write this because what happenned tonight was an important factor to be considered about when I formulate the coming plan. But still, I feel so happy tonight I could scream like an ecstatic little girl. Thus, the hysteria on the beginning of this post. Haha... Whatever, I’m gonna go to sleep now. Like Siwon said, I have school tomorrow. Write again soon. Later!

 

The Happiest Yet Most Anxious Birthday Boy Ever,

-Cho Kyuhyun-