The Graduation

The Diary

July 2

Hello hello...

Aaaaahhh....I have so many things to report!

First of all, we passed! Me and Siwon graduated with good grades. I ranked first and Siwon fifth. Not baaaad. I’m not genius for nothing. LOL! Kidding! Back to the topic, my second news is, we got accepted in Seoul National University! We both got our acceptance letter yesterday. We’re going to college together! Woohoo!! But that wasn’t even the best news I want to share...

Today was our graduation ceremony. Siwon was chosen as the class representative, so he had to deliver a speech. I helped him wrote his speech yesterday, but even so, I was still moved by it when he read it in front of the whole school. I guess it’s not just about the speech, but also about the person delivering the speech. Because it’s not just me, but everyone cheered, some even cried at Siwon’s speech, even the school jerks. What can I say, the speech was exceptionally inspiring.

When Siwon was almost done with his speech, I felt someone tapped me on the shoulder.

“Yo, Mister Snow!” Ariel grinned, then she turned to the girl beside me, “Can you move over a little, please?” She asked sweetly.

We were seated according to our grades ranking, so me and Siwon were both in the first row, but Ariel, she was waaaay in the back. And she just walked casually to the front row, told the girl who was my runner up to scoot over and give her a seat, which she obeyed quietly but clearly disappointed at that. I just rolled my eyes.

“What are you doing here, Mermaid?” I hissed.

She shrugged.

“Just wanna sit next to you.” She said. Then she leaned closer to me and whispered, “I’m gonna be your bridesmaid.”

I nearly fell off of my chair when I heard that. How did she know? Oh Siwon. I’m so gonna kill Siwon for this! I motioned Ariel to come closer and I whispered back.

“If anyone else hears about this, I’m gonna chop you down to pieces and feed you to some ducks!” I threatened.

Ariel chuckled.

“Ducks don’t eat meat, Mr. Snow! As the smartest kid in school you should know that.” She teased.

“Oh I know. I just like to see them play around with your scattered meat.” I said lightly.

“You’re scary, do you know that?” She stated. I was just about to get back at her but the runner-up girl shushed and told us to be quiet. I can only grin at her and exchanged funny looks with Ariel. Then Siwon’s speech was done. Students, teachers, parents, everyone clapped and cheered for him. Ariel and I were shouting our hearts out.

You know, I may act like I hate that girl, but I actually don’t. And she knows that. We were always bickering non-stop everywhere and everytime, but it was only for the fun of it. And to tell you the truth, I’m glad that she was the one sitting there beside me instead of just some random smart girl whom I know nothing about.

Ariel went back to her original spot after her homeroom teacher forced her out, telling her that they will start calling us one by one to receive our diploma. She cheerfully waved to me and Siwon as she walked back to her seat.

“See ya later, boys!” she winked. I stuck my tongue out and Siwon laughed.

After the graduation ceremony, we gathered out at the school yard to take pictures. I saw my parents talking with Siwon’s and other parents on one of the benches. Siwon and I were busy taking pictures with our friends and some random girls who asked us to take pictures with them when our parents came to us and gave us both a hug.

“Hi Mrs. Cho! Hi Mr. Cho! Hi Mrs. Choi! Hi Mr. Choi!” Ariel greeted our parents casually.

“Oh hi, Ariel! Congratulations, darling!” my mom gave her a kiss on the cheeks. I was like, what the hell??

“Thanks Ma’am!” she grinned.

“So you’re coming with us to New York, right?” Siwon’s mom asked her.

“Yes, I am. Ooh, I’m so excited!” she exclaimed.

“You have got permissions from your parents, right? Where are they? We haven’t met them.” My mom asked.

“Wait, SHE’S REALLY COMING WITH US TO NEW YORK???” I sneered at everyone.

“I have nothing to do with this! She didn’t hear it from me!” Siwon raised both of his hands.

“Oh, I told her about you. She called your cellphone a few nights ago while you were in taking a shower. So I picked it up, and we had fun chat, right Ariel?” My mom explained as if there’s nothing wrong with that. If she wasn’t my mother, I swear I would throw her to a pool or something.

“I told you I’m gonna be your bridesmaid, Snow!” she teased. I glared at her, but she ignored me and point to my right either.

“Oh look, there they are! I’ll get them here.” Then she ran off to her parents.

“She’s lovely.” My mom praised.

I rolled my eyes.

“She’s annoying!” I said.

“So are you.” My mom teased me. “I wonder how you can keep up with them both, Siwon.” She chuckled.

So our parents talked for a while. Ariel’s parents were really nice, and their Korean is far better than Ariel. They told us that they’re glad that Ariel made good friends so quickly. Siwon told them that Ariel wouldn’t have trouble making friends anywhere. I have to agree.

“Ah yes, Kiyu. Let’s have a dinner out tonight!” Siwon suddenly said out of nowhere.

“Okay!” I responded simply.

“Wait, this is your graduation night and you’re not gonna celebrate it with us?” my mom squeaked.

“Moooom...” I whined.

“Just let them be, don’t in our kid’s life too much.” My dad interrupted.

“Alright alright. Do whatever you want.” She finally gave up.

“Just the two of you?” Siwon’s mom asked.

“Yep, just me and Kiyu.” Siwon grinned.

I turned to Ariel.

“Heard that? You’re not invited.” I .

“I wasn’t gonna come anyway.” She stuck her tongue, “That Hyukjae kid is throwing a party tonight. You better come too, or Donghae’s gonna kill you.”

“Ah yes, right! We’ll be there after dinner.” Siwon said.

“Alright then. See you boys tonight! And good luck with your dinner.” Ariel winked to Siwon. I winced at her.

“Why would we need luck for dinner?” I asked.

“Bye Mr. and Mrs. Choi and Mr. and Mrs. Cho! Bye bye Snowy Kyu-Kyu!” She grabbed her parents and walked away.

“Why would we need luck for dinner?” I asked Siwon this time, demanding an answer.

Siwon just grinned and put his arms around me.

“You know Ariel can be a little off sometimes. Come on, let’s go home.” He said.

So after saying goodbye to our friends, we promised Donghae and Hyukjae that we will come late to the party tonight, we finally head home. Siwon drove his parents in his car, while I went in my father’s car.

When I got home, there was a large box sitting in the living room. I looked over to my parents. My dad was smiling warmly, and my mother was holding back her tears.

“What is that?” I asked.

“That’s your graduation and wedding present, son!” my dad answered, “Go on, unwrap it.”

I quickly scooted over to the big navy blue box. I ripped the ribbons off carelessly and peeked inside. There was another boxsitting on top of what seemed like a very huge suitcase. I took out the smaller box first. Once I could see it clearer, I knew I was right, it was indeed a suitcase.

I unwrap the smaller box. Inside it was the newest and most sophisticated Apple gadgets that I really love. I was like, WOW!!! Look at these pretty babies!! I could play with them all day and not give a damn about the world!

As if reading my thoughts, my dad suddenly spoke.

“I heard this one is good for making music. So I hope you will use our presents to help you out with your music study. Don’t use it just to play StarCraft, okay?”

Ah! My parents knew me well.

“So what is the suitcase for? It seems heavy.” I asked.

“It’s your wedding present. I had packed everything you need for New York, but you don’t get to open it until your wedding night!” My mom said.

I tilted my head to the side.

“What?!”

My mom sighed.

“Oh Kyu... I can’t believe you’re going away so fast! It seemed only yesterday when I had to let you go to the kindergarten, now look at you... You’re getting married within days!” she started to get teary again. I found that ridiculous!

“Who’s the one that was so eager that I get married at 17?” I asked lightly.

My mom pouted. Then she shooed me upstairs as if trying to change the subject.

“Up you go! Rest a little before you go on a date with Siwon.” She said awkwardly.

I rolled my eyes.

“It’s not a date, mom! Just a dinner. I’ve been gone to dinner with Siwon hundreds of times before.” I chuckled as I dragged my feet lazily up the stairs.

My dinner with Siwon went pretty nicely. Instead of going to our usual cafe, Siwon brought me to a real big and beautiful restaurant. Siwon said that he had been wanting to try this restaurant ever since his dad told him that the steak there was the best in town. Despite the delicious dishes, I actually think it’s rather funny for two teenage boys to dine together in such a grandeur restaurant. I was glad that we soon left the restaurant, as soon as we finished our dessert.

After that, Siwon took me for a walk. We left his car in the parking lot and just walked to a park nearby. I used to play in that park with Siwon when we were little. I missed that place. And to see it beautifully lit with tiny lamps hanging down from the trees were really something.

We sat on a bench  in front of the water fountain to rest our feet and relax our tummy. We stayed silent for a while, enjoying the night view. It was perfect. Being there with Siwon, sitting side by side, everything was perfect.

“Kiyu.... I know we’re already heading in that direction, and our parents have even arranged things for us to be married, but still, I don’t think it’s complete.”

Then he suddenly kneeled down before me, taking my hands in his. I was startled.

“With the things whirlwind around us, I haven’t got a chance to properly propose to you. I know we’re still young and we have the whole world in front of us to explore, but when I think about it, you are the only one I wish to marry. It wouldn’t make any difference for us to get married now, or 10 years from now, because Kiyu, I really want to spend my whole life with you. And if it’s okay with you, I’d like to explore the world with you too. So, Cho Kyuhyun, would you like to be married to this Siwon? Would you walk beside me forever?”

I couldn’t say anything. I was lost for words. I just sat there in awe, staring at the most beautiful human being I’ve ever known, the closest to perfect a human being can ever be. I just did the only thing I know I could do, the only thing I need to do. I nodded. Again. And again.

Siwon’s face lit up. He pounced and grabbed me. Then he hugged me and spun me around. We laughed like a couple of maniacs. After we could compose ourselves, we decided to go to Hyukjae’s party.

I got home around 1 a.m. and I decided to write everything down while I still remember. While I was writing this update, I glanced over at the big baby blue suitcase that was placed by the bed. Looking at it, I got a strange feeling in my chest, something warm. That suitcase and Siwon’s proposal tonight made the wedding more real. I am going to be married to Siwon very soon. And having seen him and heard what he said tonight, somehow I knew that this wedding, no matter how rushed and unplanned it was, is the best thing that could happen for us, and I just knew I will never regret this decision. Let’s get married, Won-ah!

 

Anxious to be married,

-Cho Kyuhyun-