5. The past - il passato

SuperHuman
Please log in to read the full chapter

„Morning." Helia walked past her workmate as she sat on her desk opposite to his.

 

„Yeah" he replied without lifting his head up.

 

If this conversation sounded awkward than probably because that's what it actually is.

 

Helia taught about the irony that out of all the members from NCT she had to be the one to work with Huang Renjun for the same division.

 

When Helia was a kid she met Renjun at the orphanage for the first time.

They where brought to the same orphanage and knew each other by name like many of the kids but weren't close or anything.

 

But she remembered one certain incident with him that probably shaped the way they relationship turned out the way it was today.

 

It was one day at the orphanage in summer where whole class was at the yard on recess playing and enjoying the sun. Helia was playing tag with Suni when she saw Renjun sneak out bread from the kitchen. Of course at that time she tought that what he did was unfair and wrong. The bread at the orphanage was counted and everyone had only a little piece to eat. So he was getting himself an extra piece which meant someone had to miss out on it.

 

No matter how hungry he is he can't just take someone else's rights, is what she thought at that time.

 

She saw him run to her direction with the bread well hidden under his shirt and just as he glanced towards the attendant Helia did something she never knew she dared.

 

She stretched out her leg and he tripped over it falling down. She was never gutsy to speak out loud so that was her way of being brave.

 

Falling down the bread flew out and was seen by all the others immediately.

 

"He stole bread" a boy pointed out and in a matter of seconds Renjun was in the middle of a circle of children pointing fingers at him and calling him names.

 

But oddly enough Renjun's attention was only on one person, herself. He stared at her with full hatred evident in his eyes. And that stare was enough to scare her off.

 

Eventough he was the one who had to fell guilty she felt like she had to keep her head down and made sure to never get in his way. She avoided walking the same path or even staying in the same room with him if an attendant wasn't present.

 

She always tought that he'll get back at her someday. She thought he would corner her somewhere and hit her or make her pay in some way.

But he never did.

 

After the stare he gave her that day he never looked at her eyes again.

Ironically he also avoided her like she did.

 

And now both growing up. Life tested them with what they swore to avoid.

They lived under the same roof and on top of that were colleagues now.

 

She thought of how ironic it was that they once fought for bread and where now leading the bank of the island.

 

She didn't know if that was the start why she and Renjun didn't get along well today. But aside from that incident Helia found out that they were total opposites as well.

 

Helia finds it hard to hold a conversation with a men and it's nearly impossible with Renjun. The chemistry simple doesn't work with eachother. He always seemed to like the things she hated and vice versa.

 

Not only that, but there was always a stiff aura when those two where close to each other. Suni knew him from the incident at the orphanage but Helia was surprised that none of the other members asked about it where it was clear that both could kill each other by the vibe they gave off while being next to one another.

 

However weirdly enough the tension between them was never an obstacle in carrying out their work.

They where always praised to be the division with being precise and trustworthy. And Taeyong didn't seem to be bothered by the tension that was always around the two.

 

They weren't the dream team. They only talked work necessary things so the job always got done easily and fast. They had nothing to joke about with each other and they knew that they could avoid talking but not the work they were tasked on.

 

  * * *

Please log in to read the full chapter