Baby Steps

IMPURE

Joshua slowly woke up, he looked around himself in a daze. He was in his bedroom comfortably laying in his own bed with a light blanket over him and he thought for a second trying to recall the events that took place last night.

 

The last thing he remembered was DK in the library calming him through yet another episode. He sighed, it must have been him who brought him to his room and tucked him in bed.

He wasn't bothered by the idea, he smiled to himself almost embarrassed. The thought of Dokyeom holding him in his strong arms and bringing him to bed was rather appealing.

 

A hot blush run through his cheeks tinting them with a bright shade of pink that soon vanished when he remembered their sad fate.

 

Joshua thought that Dokyeom wasn't like that, they had a connection and they lost it and that's it.

They can never be together because he was broken, Joshua was broken, he could never feel him, he could never feel their connection and can never give DK what he deserves.

 

His blush turned into a disappointed face and his eyes almost glassy and teary again. He took a deep breath to calm himself down and was anticipating the knock on his door from the approaching scent outside. He wasn't sure what time was it, so he didn't know what he missed exactly and hoped that the younger would tell him.

 

Dino softly knocked on the door before he let himself inside Joshua's bedroom. He looked around to find Joshua sitting on his bed still wearing the same clothes from that dawn.

"Hey, you're up" Dino smiled and walked inside with a tray in his hands.

Joshua seemed calmer than usual, he returned the boy's smile and asked him to sit next to him on the bed

 

"How are you feeling?" Dino asked putting the tray on the night stand table near by and joining Joshua on the bed

 

"Better" Joshua said, he closed his eyes for a second and breathed in deeply "Much better thank you"

 

"I got you some food" Dino pointed at the tray he just sat near by

"Thanks kiddo" he smiled softly at him reaching for his hand to hold

 

"I spoke to Dokyeom a little" his voice suddenly low and hesitant "I understand you two have been through a lot together and I'm sorry for what you've lost and I understand why you're afraid"

 

Joshua only tightened his grip around Dino's hand, his eyes fell to stare blankly at his blanket and didn't say anything

"But maybe it's different this time?" Dino continued "This time you have all of us, and we will never let anyone hurt you again"

 

Joshua closed his eyes, trying to take in Dino's words. The pup was young but sounded really mature, Joshua was so proud of him, he smiled and nodded looking up to meet his eyes. True, Joshua wasn't alone anymore, he didn't have to agree to everything that's been happening but at least he could ... try to accept it? Make amends with his past and get over it?

 

He only hoped he could move on.

 

"Here" Dino placed the food tray on Joshua's lap "It's your favorite, DK helped me make it"

Dino giggled and winked at Joshua. This rascal was throwing suggestive winks at him? Joshua was taken a back for a second and he felt that blush return but he immediately shook it off. He looked down at the food and smiled, yes indeed it was his favorite.

 

"What time is it? What did I miss?" Joshua casually asked as he took a sip of his coffee

 

"Wonwoo is awake" Dino announced, stopped a little to look at Joshua then made a random little motion with his hands in the air  "The human boy" and Joshua nodded curious to hear the rest

 

"Jeonghan and Scoups talked to him and apparently invited him for dinner"

 

Shocking on his last bite, Joshua's eyes widened, he coughed out his food with a confused expression "W-WHAT"

 

"Yeah well" Dino didn't really have much more to say "He must be really~~ special"

 

—————

Mingyu watched as Wonwoo simply breathed. He was holding back the urge to get closer to him, hold him, protect him from whatever was going on inside his head right now but he had to hold back, he had to earn it first.

 

Wonwoo obviously can't feel the pull between the two of them, Mingyu's inner wolf was sad and quiet, his other half was sitting across from him but can't feel him the way he does.

He wants to talk to him but doesn't even know where to start. Shall he tell him about his life? His parents? His work?

Does he ask him about his life? Who is Jungkook? What happened that made him want to die?

Mingyu simply didn't know where to begin

 

Wonwoo, on the other hand, was staring blankly into space. Mingyu's gaze was soft, the softest he has ever seen or ... felt.

He didn't mind him staring at all, it wasn't intimidating nor scary, he didn't feel like a piece of meat or like he was about to get devoured by him.

 

It just felt so soft.

 

Like a protective gaze, looking over his shoulders, Wonwoo didn't know what it meant exactly but he liked the feeling, being protected and ... safe.

Something he hardly ever felt his entire life

 

"Wonw—"

"Ming—"

 

Breaking the silence at the same time was a bit of an awkward situation. They stared at each other for a second before they laughed. Mingyu falling for every giggle the other made and Wonwoo curiously scanned Mingyu's features and admiring his Canine teeth.

 

"You go first" Mingyu offered, his attention fully falling on Wonwoo

Wonwoo blinked, he himself didn't know where to start

 

"It's just ... I have so much going on in my head"

 

"I know" Mingyu 's voice rather attentive and soft "Do you want to share some with me?

 

Wonwoo hesitated, he looked away not so sure of what to tell him. Mingyu sounded sincere and so far, all the boy did was save his life and ask him to trust him ... should he just do that?

 

"Can you tell me more?" Wonwoo looked back to lock eyes with Mingyu "More about you and the others? Jeonghan and your Leader?"

 

Mingyu smiled, Wonwoo was interested in his Pack life and he was more than happy to explain how everything worked. Starting from their Alpha Scoups, their Luna Jeonghan and the rest.

He tried to explain the hierarchy, how things worked inside the mansion.

Wonwoo listened, they were a family of some sort, Mingyu didn't go into details yet, but they talked for a while, the longest they have talked ever since they met

 

"You hunt for what exactly? You eat raw meat?"

 

"No" Mingyu explained, finding himself unconsciously getting closer to Wonwoo at the edge of his bed

"Hunting for us is more of a much needed activity, a stress release, we can freely run and take our wolves out for a walk"

 

Oh yeah his wolf form, something Wonwoo was too unsure about but also too curious to see

 

"If we hunt, usually we will bring it back here and either store it or have a BBQ party"

 

Wonwoo chuckled "Poor little animals" his comment made Mingyu laugh "Nature always wins Won, can't help it"

 

There comes the nickname again. Wonwoo stared at Mingyu for a second, he enjoyed talking to him, slowly opening up to his world. He nodded

"Sure, Min Nature always win"

 

If Mingyu came up with a nickname for him then maybe he should do the same. Hearing it, Mingyu couldn't hide his smile, he loved it.

Without realizing it, Wonwoo created a new hierarchy where they were Mingyu's Won and Wonwoo's Min. Mingyu felt the string of his connection to Wonwoo strengthens while Wonwoo's heart was beating funny for the first time.

 

"Is there's anything I should look out for when I meet your brothers?"

 

"Mhm" Mingyu took some time to think "They are too protective and might look scary but don't worry they are harmless"

 

Wonwoo nodded, feeling suddenly a wave of nervousness take over him. He saw Mingyu extend his hand to touch him and unconsciously, Wonwoo flinched retrieving his hand away and Mingyu took a second to scan Wonwoo's face before trying again, his index finger brushing against Wonwoo's finger tips but not holding them completely

 

 

 

(Here's them holding hands for no reason whatsoever ☺️ no rea~~son)

 

 

Mingyu made a mental note "You don't like being touched huh?"

 

The mood suddenly changed, Wonwoo couldn't even look at Mingyu anymore. He swallowed thickly before nodding

"Yes ... I'm just not used to it, I don't ... like it ..."

Mingyu nodded "I understand, it's okay" he smiled softly "Maybe once you're comfortable enough, you can tell me why?"

 

Wonwoo closed his eyes, pushing away the memories he wished he could erase from the back of his mind "Maybe" he replied too hesitant that his maybe almost meant never.

 

Trying to lighten up his mood again, Mingyu started blabbering about his brothers, saying random things about how annoying they were "And Soonyoung make these chewing noises like a little hamster" different stories about the stupid things they did in the past "Dokyeom literally jumped over the waterfall, I thought he  died until we saw his stubborn little fat head emerge from the water ..."

 

Wonwoo smiled letting Mingyu's stories sooth his troubled mind for a bit. He had a feeling that they were nothing but a strange family with a strong bond. His nervousness vanished hearing all of their fun stories, he could never imagine having such a life, full with adventure and rush. A fairy tale of some kind, something he always longed for, something a little more than his pitiful old life.

 

————

"I'm not sure what we are having for dinner but ... is there's anything you don't like?"

Mingyu asked and the other wasn't so sure what to say

 

"Mmm no, I'm okay with anything"

Wonwoo was grateful that Mingyu even asked. In his previous home, nobody cared if he even ate at all. He was lucky enough to have any type of a meal in front of him whenever he could and it didn't even have to be warm or tasty.

 

So he really didn't mind

(Yes I know he's allergic to seafood, but in this story, he doesn't know that ... yet.

Sorry guys)

 

Wonwoo didn't expect also to see the worlds biggest BBQ party that night.

It was when Jihoon came knocking on their door, he turned the knob and walked inside to meet Wonwoo for the first time.

 

"Hi, I'm Jihoon" he said, he sounded warm and not as hostile as he thought meeting all of them would be "Dinner is ready, we are waiting for you in the terrace"

 

When Mingyu helped Wonwoo out of bed leading him outside, another figure emerged apparently waiting for Jihoon

"I'm Soonyoung" he introduced himself casually almost uninterested. He looked indifferent and Wonwoo didn't mind, he did notice however, how he held Jihoon's hand the second the other left the room

 

So far so good Wonwoo thought, but Mingyu saw behind what Wonwoo was thinking. They were all cautious, maybe too cautious but calm, things were a bit weird but so far, it was okay.

 

Wonwoo slowly tailed behind Mingyu. Mingyu walking in front of him so tall and he could barely see anything beyond his broad shoulders and white tshirt, isn't he cold? Wonwoo wondered

He looked down at his outfit, Mingyu was kind enough to borrow him a hoodie and a pair of pants. Too big for his fragile and thin body but he didn't really mind much, it was clean, comfortable and it smelled nice.

 

 

 

 

 

Wonwoo felt safe as long as Mingyu was there standing in front of him like a mountain of rocks. But with his abused mind and history, he was always afraid. Afraid that at some point, Mingyu would turn around and realize how much of a horrible person Wonwoo was, how much of a trash person he was and maybe, he would break his neck if he knew just how Impure he was.

 

Wonwoo sighed as the dark thoughts creeped in, he was still walking down the stairs when he started catching glimpses of everyone else. He immediately recognized Jeonghan and Seungcheol and he had yet to meet the others.

 

Mingyu had a little smile on his face, a careful and calm one. His eyes scanned their dining room which was attached to their living room and a double door balcony was wide open revealing a mesmerizing terrace. Scoups stood by the door frame, things seemed calmer than he had excepted, the leader quickly glanced at Joshua, who was avoiding the whole scene but his scent was calm standing right to Dokeyom which was a bit reassuring ... for now

 

Dino was outside, he was standing by the grill that Scoups put on a while ago. Jeonghan and him prepared a lot of vegetable servings, meat was juicy and sizzling but the atmosphere was rather still ... awkward .

 

(I'm so bad at this I'm sorry 😣 first meetings are so important)

 

—————

Wonwoo was a bit overwhelmed, the house just felt like a very huge and cozy cabin in the woods, like a family getaway or a vacation place.

Nobody would think that these boys are special in any form or way at first glance, but there's so much under the surface.

 

His steps got a bit heavy, he was starting to shake again. Mingyu looked back at him sensing the sudden change of scent, all of them did actually. Joshua scoffed from where he was standing by Dokyeom's side and Dino thought it was a good time to approach the new comer. Being the bubbly little puppy he was, he sprinted his way to Wonwoo who flinched for a second by how close the younger was

 

"I'm Dino~" he introduced himself "They just look scary ignore their appearances"

... "That's DK short for Dokyeom and Joshua and ..." he stopped for a second before spotting Seungkwan and Vernon lazily sitting on the couch with almost zero interest "Seungkwan and Vernon are in a little bit of an odd mood today so yeah ignore all of them"

 

Dino sounded sweet, Wonwoo gave him a soft grateful smile, he was once again reminded of Jungkook, but Junkook was younger, it was like looking at an older version of him. Wonwoo's mind wondered for a second before it was brought back to reality with Dino pulling him to the terrace. The place was beautiful, like a backyard with a BBQ grill set.

And even though it was so cold, they could have a camp fire in here anytime they wanted.

 

 

 

"Hey" Jeonghan greeted, glancing over at his mate, things seemed to be calm even Joshua didn't display any hostile behavior, his scent was surprisingly unbothered still standing somewhere near DK.

Soonyoung and Jihoon already found their seats at the table and the rest slowly joined them.

Wonwoo looked back, Mingyu was still behind him as he was dragged outside by Dino

 

"Hi" he greeted submissively

"You smell like Mingyu" Jeonghan pointed out curiously checking his outfit

 

"Mingyu let me borrow his clothes"

Wonwoo answered honestly not wanting to get into trouble

 

"He might have just marked you with his scent instead" Soonyoung muttered next to Jihoon gaining a punch to his side

 

"Hey be nice" Mingyu glared and Scoups rolled his eyes

"Take him shopping once he feels better" Scoups ordered and Mingyu nodded

 

"Princess treatment" Soonyoung said again and this time it was Mingyu who choked him with an arm around his neck gaining another "HEY" from Jihoon trying to break them apart

 

Wonwoo eyed them with a puzzled expression "Huh?" He muffled under his own breaths and received a chuckle from Jeonghan "They bicker all the time don't mind it" he walked closer and motioned Wonwoo to have a seat next to him "Sit, you're not supposed to overwork yourself remember?"

 

Wonwoo did what he was told and sat down on the nearest chair he found, Jeonghan sitting right next to him and ignited his spirit.

 

Wonwo stared at his eyes in awe, the beautiful shade of green matched Jeonghan's blonde hair and fair skin beyond anything he has ever seen, he wondered how can a man be this pretty?

He only watched as Jeonghan simply placed his hand on his chest. Wonwoo flinched and moved away immediately and Jeonghan looked at him a little puzzled

 

"I'm not going to hurt you, you know that right?"

 

Wonwoo was hesitant, he didn't like being touched but Jeonghan didn't hurt him before and probably won't hurt him now, so he nodded and let him place his palm over his chest.

 

It was just for a second, Jeonghan retreated his hand with a giggle "It tickles, your soul I mean" he keeps saying that but Wonwoo finds it incredibly hard to believe. His eyes falling somewhere on the floor avoiding Jeonghan's amused smile ... if only he knew what Wonwoo was, what he did, what he's been through ... he wouldn't be so pure then

 

"You're healing just fine, just a few more days, most of the bruises are gone"

 

Wonwoo's head jolted up, just that morning he had a broken rib, cuts and bruises covering his entire body, how could he be healing this fast?

 

"How?"

 

"Well, I'm a healer remember? And Mingyu's water spirit somehow helped too" Jeonghan paused for a second "Which reminds me" he turned to meet his mate. Scoups joined them a second ago "You need to talk to Mingyu about it" the leader simply nodded not saying anything else eyeing Wonwoo with piercing eyes.

 

—————

Wonwoo lowered his gaze again, Scoups was eyeing him up and down and he didn't want to be rude and stare back.

He tried to be as quiet as possible, as still as possible, as good as possible. That's how he lived his entire life anyways, avoiding any type of mistakes, almost nonexistent and careful with every breath he took.

 

Mingyu brought his chair to sit closer to Wonwoo. The boy immediately smiled seeing him up close, Mingyu was protective and it was obvious to everyone. Wonwoo basically smelled of Mingyu's scent and it wasn't just because of the clothes he was wearing. Wonwoo thought about this connection he was having with Mingyu for a second and even though he didn't understand it fully ... he liked it.

 

Seungkwan came closer a while later right before Dino asked them to join them in the dinning room "Vernon is not feeling well, so we will excuse ourselves from dinner"

Scoups looked up at him worriedly "What happened?" Jeonghan immediately catching up to him "He probably ate something bad, nothing much" Seungkwan did his best to cover up Vernon's story

 

"I will go see—" Jeonghan asked not sure of what was wrong

"N-no" Seungkwan cut him off almost immediately "I don't think it's necessary, I'll call you if we need anything, you are obviously needed here more" glancing over at Wonwoo.

Jeonghan was taken aback for second but agreed anyways without giving it much thought, nothing about Seungkwan suggested that something was really wrong  so he'll check on them later if needed

 

"O-okay"

With that, Seungkwan left but not before he threw Wonwoo a gentle nod and a quick smile. He didn't meet Vernon yet though but he figured that he will have enough time to meet him later, he wont be going anywhere else anyways right?

 

————

Dinner was served and Wonwoo was really touched.

Mingyu couldn't stop putting food on his plate, food he never thought he could see so much of. He was looking around nervously and everyone was eating peacefully, chatting casually, Soonyoung was still making suggestive remarks, Jihoon laughing at them or punching him, Dokyeom and Joshua were rather quite but Joshua couldn't contain his smile whenever DK leaned over to him to comment over something stupid the others were saying. Scoups and Jeonghan being at the head of the table and they were ... so much into each other to say the least.

 

Wonwoo couldn't keep his eyes off them. The way Scoups would bring Jeonghan closer, calling him "Angel" all the time. The bond they shared was full with love and respect. Jeonghan looking at his mate directly in the eyes and having his way with whatever he wanted no matter how annoyed Scoups was. Scoups ruffling his hair, holding his hands, talking so softly to him.

 

 

 

(Another picture for no reason ~~~no reason 😌)

 

 

Wonwoo wondered how that felt like?

Being held lovingly, being happy, being wanted. He played along with the food on his plate and his mind was lost somewhere again

 

"You're zoning out again" he heard Mingyu's voice snapping him out of his daze

"S-sorry" he mumbled

"Don't be, it's okay" Mingyu eyed Wonwoo's plate, he barely ate anything

"Are you not hungry? You didn't eat anything" He asked scanning Wonwoo's face

 

"I-I did" Wonwoo confessed, he did have a few bites but that was all

 

"Wonwoo, you barely touched your food"

 

"It's ... it's too much" Wonwoo looked down at his plate, he never had this much food on his plate before, a few bites were always enough for him

 

"Can you eat some more please?" Mingyu asked, he sounded really worried "You need to eat to get your strength back, you're still injured"

 

Wonwoo nodded, he picked up his fork and took another piece of meat shoving it into his mouth. The taste was too good and too satisfying making him feel too ... guilty.

Him and Jungkook never had a meal like this before and sadly he will never have the chance to share something like this with him again.

 

He zoned out once again, but he snapped back again, when Dino whined about Joshua having him sit for exams. He was complaining to Jeonghan and the older was pouting and babying him like a child making Wonwoo smile at the duo. He wondered how old Dino actually was and how did he end up here? He was definitely younger than anyone else and yet had a big place in their hearts for some reason.

 

—————

Dinner went just ... fine

The night grew deeper and their chitchats never ended and Wonwoo felt so much warmth in these few hours than in his entire life.

 

He felt a small nudge on his shoulder and he flinched "Sorry" Mingyu apologized immediately and Wonwoo relaxed upon seeing him "I want to show you something, can you walk for a bit?"

 

Wonwoo took a second, no he wasn't in pain and yes he could.

He nodded slowly standing up from where he was sitting covered with a small blanket that Dino cared enough to go fetch it for him when he noticed Wonwoo getting a little cold.

 

He gets cold easily.

 

Wonwoo took a few steps next to Mingyu leaving the terrace and walking toward the lake. The two were lost in a random conversation, Wonwoo smiled looking at the lights reflecting in the lake.

"It's really beautiful here, thank you for dinner"

 

Mingyu chuckled "I didn't even cook, and yes it's a healing place, I'll show more once you get better"

 

Wonwoo nodded with a soft smile on his face.

 

"Wonwoo I'm ... scared" Mingyu confessed out of the blue making Wonwoo a little uneasy

 

"I just got my spirit, thanks to you" he chuckled, Wonwoo smiled awkwardly but didn't know how to react really "but ... I have no idea how to even start to discover it"

 

Wonwoo came closer "Mingyu I don't know anything about werewolves or spirits but can't Jeonghan or Scoups help you?"

 

"Yeah sure they can" Mingyu stated and Wonwoo lost his train of thoughts. If the others could help him understand his spirit then why was he asking him?

 

"But I need to know why YOU" ... "It appeared with YOU" Mingyu getting closer to Wonwoo with every word he uttered, too close that Wonwoo froze in his place staring at Mingyu

 

"I-I don't k-know Mingyu" he sounded terrified, he had no answers to give, he didn't know anything

 

"I don't want you to be scared" Mingyu sounded too soft, his features too gentle against the moonlight "I want you to help me figure it out"

 

Wonwoo was still confused but yes sure, he can help

He nodded

"What can I do?"

 

"You and I share a connection, but I don't want you to worry about it"

 

Wonwoo nodded again

 

"Just think of it as a transitioning period, I'm happy that you decided to stay here and I want you to take the time to get to know me ... and everyone else"

 

Wonwoo nodded

 

"Our connection will strengthen by time and ... if it does, trust that I'll be here for you" ...

"And if it doesn't, I'll still be here for you"

 

Mingyu was sincere but Wonwoo simply listened and nodded

 

"Say something Won"

 

Mingyu put a gentle hand under Wonwoo's chin forcing him to look up and face him. Wonwoo has always been so submissive, whatever his master said, he always obeyed or bad things would happen to him, but with Mingyu, it was different because he promised that no matter what, good or bad, either ways, Mingyu will take care of him but why?

 

"I'm just a filthy human Mingyu" Wonwoo spilled the ugly truth that was sitting on his throat for so long "You don't know me that well, I'm not ... hell I'm not Pure" his eyes started to water "I did things, things I runaway from and I don't think —"

 

"Shh it's okay" Mingyu shushed him and put his arms around him. Wonwoo broke down in tears and let Mingyu simply engulf him in a warm embrace "We all have history Wonwoo, some uglier than others" ... "We will find our answers" ... "Baby's steps"

 

—————

A while later, he came back holding Wonwoo in his arms.

Wonwoo rested his head over Mingyu's shoulder while Mingyu simply carried him around like a wounded puppy.

The second Jeonghan saw the two he jolted up from his seat "What the hell Mingyu? What happened?" his spirit automatically igniting upon seeing them hurrying to their side

 

"He's tired, we'll just call it a night and take him back to his room to rest"

 

Jeonghan couldn't resist seeing for himself, he sighed gently pressing his hand against Wonwoo, he realized that he was just exhausted

"Yeah take him inside let him rest"

 

Mingyu nodded "Thank you for dinner" he smiled before he continued walking inside the house. It was getting too cold and Wonwoo writhed a little under his touch, he was awake but after his break down, Mingyu was afraid that he would fall and hurt himself again.

It was just safer if he carried him inside.