Joke of the year

One plus One, Two plus Two

Chaewon swore she was trying to study her script, but she couldn't take her eyes off the screen. Hyeju was streaming, what did she expect?

She had promised Hyeju she would drop comments that same day. She hovered her fingers above the keys of her laptop, but why did it seem so hard? All she needed to do was say... Exactly, what was she supposed to say? Chaewon lightly drummed her fingers on the keyboard, gulping hard, her eyes never leaving Hyeju's cam at the corner of the screen. She was way too focused on the game, she wouldn't notice the chat right now.

Around twenty minutes later, when the game was over and the big blue words of victory appeared on screen, her heart shot up. Chaewon rolled her eyes. God, it was just a comment! Clenching her fists first, she typed 'hi' and pressed the send button before she could question herself again.

The instant noodles she had for dinner tumbled on her stomach, and her feet drummed on the floor. Hyeju eyed the chat and her eyes went huge, a grin flashing on her lips.

"Gowon!" Hyeju eyed straight at the camera, and Chaewon's heart went on a rampage. "Everyone, Gowon is here."

The comments rolled faster.

Gowon? The asmr girl you like?
Hi, Gowon! I started watching your videos after Hyeju mentioned you, they're super cool!

Chaewon's chin could reach the ground. Her hands trembled, but she still forced them to type.

Hi, everyone. Yes, it's me. Thank you so much for watching my videos! owo

"Yes, it's her," Hyeju also replied. "Can you believe I watch her videos, and she's a regular viewer here?"

More comments rolled up. Chaewon giggled like a little girl, fidgeting on her chair, butterflies all over her body.

Oh my god, what are the chances?
So, you guys know each other? You should meet up!

"We did meet already, in fact." Hyeju smiled, that small, adorable one she shows when she's flustered.

I visited Café Rosy - Chaewon typed - and met Hyeju there.

For some reason, her viewers were thrilled with that new information, more and more comments popping up saying how cute that was.

"I was so surprised when I saw her there," Hyeju said. "I really had no idea."

And I had no idea Hyeju watched my videos until that stream the other day when she mentioned my channel ahahaha - Chaewon commented. - I couldn't believe my ears.

Chaewon knew Hyeju had read that comment by the way her eyes shifted around and she seemed out of words.

"What should I play next? Gowon, choose the champion."

She widened her eyes, while the comments show her viewers' indignation.

You never asked us that!
I've asked you to play Pyke about a thousand times and you always refused!

Hyeju burst out laughing. "I refuse, I repeat, REFUSE to play Pyke, and you know that. Even if Gowon asked me to play Pyke, I would refuse."

Hyeju never accepted recommendations from her viewers, avid League players, but then she went and asked Chaewon to pick for her. Someone who never even played that game. That shouldn't make her that happy, but for sure it did. Like she was special. A special viewer among those dozens watching her.

Go with Akali. She's my fav from KDA!

"She's my fav too!" Hyeju's eyebrows went high. "Alright, let's kick some with Akali."

The poor script that wanted and needed to be studied so bad was long forgotten, tossed aside at Chaewon's desk. She was in awe with Hyeju's plays. Akali moved so fast and everywhere Chaewon didn't have a clue how Hyeju was doing that, but there was she, doing a triple kill.

"I play AD carry so many times I sometimes forget how much I love some other champions," Hyeju said. "Thanks for picking Akali for me!"

Chaewon grasped the armrest of her chair, her eyes getting watery. Just like it happened when she watched Ohmygirl's fancams, but it was Hyeju. Just Hyeju. As if she was right in front of her, holding her gaze as she looked straight at the camera for a second.

If all streams were going to be like that now, Chaewon didn't know how she would survive. But she did, all the way until the end. And the second the screen turned black, an emptiness filled her whole soul. And Jinsol was the lame one...

An idea popped into Chaewon's mind. She had already commented on chat, what if she... messaged Hyeju? She didn't have her number, but she could message her on Twitter. Chaewon had a personal account, not related to her ASMR, (in fact she didn't run any other social media account for her ASMR, her Youtube was already enough).

She opened Twitter, and like always, Hyeju's tweets were the first ones to pop up. She went on her profile, smiling as she noticed the follower number had increased again - 1,112 now. Chaewon remembered when Hyeju got to a thousand followers on Twitter, she was so happy, thanking on stream a hundred times. She still had more subs on Twitch, more than two thousand by now, but she was still so happy. She was so humble it got Chaewon all mushy.

Brushing that away, Chaewon clicked on the message icon, opening the empty chat. She did want to talk with Hyeju, but about what?

[🦋]
Hi, it's Chaewon!

She stared at the message, her index finger hovering over the enter key. She shook her head and erased it all. But she should start by saying it was her... nothing in her kpop stan and animal crossing addict Twitter account would tell Hyeju that was her. She had a different username from Twitch, and her display name was simply the blue butterfly emoji. So, she wrote the sentence back and sent it.

Her crossed leg bounced as she bit on her lower lip. Maybe she wasn't even going to see the message. Maybe she wasn't even going to open the message and answer. Sighing, she went back on her feed, scrolling without actually paying attention to what she scrolled by. She should better go back at her script studying instead of wasting time like that-

The chat window flashed on the bottom of the screen, and Chaewon had never clicked on a message notification so fast. It opened her chatbox with Hyeju, and there really was an answer.

[Hye🐺]
Chaewon?
how do I know it's really you?

And from all the possible answers Chaewon wondered she could choose, that was not one of them. Panicking, she grabbed her phone, opened the camera, looked at herself on screen, giving it a little smile and a V pose, and snapped a pic. Trying not to take too long so Hyeju wouldn't suspect, she opened Twitter and sent her the picture.

The seen mark appeared almost instantly, and the three dots showing Hyeju was typing made Chaewon swallow hard.

[Hye🐺]
omg it's really you, , I'm sorry
I just thought it could be someone trying to fool me after you showed up on today's stream lmao
but I mean, at the stream you're Gowon, not Chaewon
my bad

Chaewon's shoulders relaxed. She didn't even realize how tense they have been. She was just typing a reply when another message from Hyeju popped up.

[Hye🐺]
cute, btw

Her hands froze, her lips came apart, her eyes didn't blink.

Cute.

CUTE?!

Yes, Ryujin had referred to her as the cute girl, and Hyeju didn't say otherwise, but... now this came from Hyeju herself. Hyeju calling her... cute.

[🦋]
don't worry about that!
and thank you 😳
you're cute yourself, Hyeju

Oh god, she did just reply that.

[Hye🐺]
so, what's with the butterfly emoji?
and wow, I didn't know you were a kpop fangirl

Blatantly ignoring Chaewon's compliment. Chaewon giggled, imagining Hyeju flustered.

[🦋]
well, I listen to a lot of kpop ahaha mainly girlgroups
and the butterfly emoji, let's say my life was never the same after I played Life is Strange lmao

[Hye🐺]
I know that game, but I never played it
is it that good?

Chaewon gasped out loud, as if Hyeju could hear it.

[🦋]
IT'S AMAZING! LIKE, OMFG YOU NEED TO PLAY IT
actually omg why don't you play it on stream? it was a really popular game for streamers because THE REACTIONS!

[Hye🐺]
should I? I never streamed anything else other than league so far...
idk if my followers would want to watch me stream anything else

[🦋]
:(((
I am a follower too!
I would love to watch you play it
also, wouldn't you love to stream switch games? *whispers* breath of the wiiiilddddddd

[Hye🐺]
yeah, I would love to, if only switch streaming docks didn't cost a ing kidney... sigh

Chaewon felt bad for laughing, but she could picture Hyeju's pouty face while swearing and it was so freaking cute.

[🦋]
I see :((
that

Chaewon didn't know what else to say, neither did Hyeju. She had seen the message, but no answer came. Oh, the dreaded awkward silence. At least they weren't face to face. There was something Chaewon actually wanted to say, but... she didn't know if she should.

She shrugged. The worst she could get from that was a big fat 'no'.

[🦋]
hey, wanna hang out this weekend?
we could go somewhere, take our switches and play (is that the plural of switch? lmao) or just talk about whatever
and only if you're free, of course

Messages sent. Time to panic.

SHE JUST HAD INVITED HYEJU OUT AFTER SEEING HER, LIKE, TWICE?!

Chaewon was out of her mind, she could only be. And the answer was coming. Hyeju was typing.

[Hye🐺]
sorry, I'm busy all weekend
café and part time and stream you know

The whole weekend, though? Didn't that girl have days off? Chaewon sighed. Hyeju also needed rest, of course that if she had even a day off from her part time, she would like to rest. She works a lot, and still streams every day at night or afternoon.

[🦋]
yeah, of course
then I'll pay you a visit at the café anytime during the next week, and probably bring my embarrassing friends because they fell for the food

[Hye🐺]
then I'll be waiting for you

Chaewon was actually glad she wasn't in front of Hyeju now, or else she would embarrass herself with the squeal she just let out.

[🦋]
and make sure you get some rest in between all of that too!

[Hye🐺]
I try lol
in fact I think I'm gonna crash now

[🦋]
and I'll go back to studying ahaha
don't forget to listen to one of my videos to fall asleep faster hehe

[Hye🐺]
always
good night, and good luck with your studies

Yeah, Chaewon already knew Hyeju always listened to her ASMR to sleep, but every time she was reminded of that fact from Hyeju herself, Chaewon was left a mess. Then she remembered her favorite ones were the ones where Chaewon talked because she loved her voice.

Chaewon smiled so widely and her chest was so filled with happiness she could cry.

[🦋]
thanks!
good night, sleep well ^-^

And yes, she really needed to study, but she didn't know how she would be able to do so now. And in fact, before she even tried to focus on that again, she wanted to check something.

She opened a Google tab and searched for 'switch streaming dock'. And damn, those sure were expensive. But as she scrolled more, she found a Kickstarter page, a project of a super small streaming dock for the Switch, and cheaper. Was that for real? It had been released that same year, just a few months ago, and all the comments said amazing things about it. So it should be legit.

Should she send that link to Hyeju? Maybe she didn't know about that one because it didn't seem to be a popular one.

But what if... Chaewon got one to Hyeju herself? She could afford it, after all... And it would be an amazing gift... And she knew how much Hyeju would love to stream Breath of the Wild and probably other Switch games...

She wouldn't buy it for now. But Chaewon would give it some thought.

"I ended up buying it, Jisu!" Chaewon buried her face in her hands.

Jisu laughed, patting her arm. "But that's good, isn't it?"

"I don't know, is it? Isn't it too..."

"Too what? I think it's cute!"

Chaewon dropped her hands, sighing. Classes were over that Wednesday, and Chaewon was glad Jisu wasn't too busy and could talk to her as they made their way to the dorms. She needed to make sure it was or wasn't... a terrible decision.

"What if she thinks I'm giving this to her to, like, get her attention? Or what if she feels bad because it was expensive? I mean, it wasn't that expensive, if I couldn't afford it, I just wouldn't," Chaewon said.

"I don't think she'll think like that. I'm sure she'll be super thankful and happy. Wanna go to Café Rosy and give it to her now?"

"No. If only it had arrived one day before, I could have given her yesterday when I went there with the others..."

"Nothing stops you from going there today again."

"I don't wanna seem like I'm trying too hard or being too persistent. I mean, I had already asked Hyeju out on the weekend and got rejected, and yesterday was the exact same thing... I didn't even mention a specific day, it could be any day when she doesn't work or something, but still... Maybe she really doesn't want anything with me. Maybe she even thinks I'm annoying. Maybe she doesn't even want to be my friend! Oh god, I shouldn't have bought-"

"Hey, calm down." Jisu stopped in front of her, grabbing her arms. "You're panicking and assuming things. You know she works at the café, and even has another part-time, and streams every day."

"I know, but, when you want to be with someone, you can always try and make space for them, right?"

Jisu frowned. "I guess, but you can imagine she probably doesn't have any free time. When does she rest in the middle of all that? She is around people all the time. I'm sure she needs her space, too."

Chaewon dropped her head, sighing. "You're right, I'm being an ."

"I know you want to spend more time with her, but it's not like she's turning you down just because she doesn't want to be with you. Didn't she enjoy your visit yesterday? I wish I was there to see your face." Jisu pinched her cheek, resuming the walk.

"So you could make fun of me like Hyunjin and Yeji did?" Chaewon huffed. "I was so scared of them embarrassing me, but they saved it for when we were sitting. Heejin barely even said anything, she was devastated when she found out Jiwoo wasn't working yesterday. And yes, I guess Hyeju was happy. Maybe she was happy because I brought more customers to the café."

Jisu elbowed her. "She was happy because she got to see you during her shift. And I'm sure about this because Ryujin told me yesterday that Hyeju's been telling her all about you. That you visited the café, then at the store, and you finally talked on the chat, and then you even sent her a picture. So, if Hyeju mentions all of that to Ryujin, it has to mean something. If it didn't, she wouldn't bother talking about it."

Chaewon halted in her tracks. "H-Hyeju tells all of that to Ryujin?"

"Just like you tell me everything about Hyeju."

"D-Did you tell Ryujin that I also say all of these things about Hyeju?"

"I might have mentioned a thing or two. I mean, it's only fair! She spills about Hyeju, I spill about you. I can't believe me and Ryujin are acting like cupids in here." Jisu chuckled.

Chaewon's face warmed up in a second. "So just like you tell me what Ryujin tells you, Ryujin tells Hyeju what you tell her for sure!"

"Isn't that a good thing, though?"

"I actually don't know."

Jisu laughed, circling an arm around Chaewon's to pull her forward. "We need to meet sometime, the four of us. It would be fun."

"Or awkward."

But if Chaewon actually tried to imagine it, it sounded cute. She still didn't know Ryujin personally, just like Jisu didn't know Hyeju.

"Hey, why don't you pay her another visit at the store and give her the switch dock?" Jisu asked.

"Hm?" Chaewon irked an eyebrow. "That's... That's actually a good idea! She did tell me she would be doing the closing shift for the rest of the week, so I know she'll be there."

"There you go!"

"Thanks." Chaewon smiled, imagining Hyeju's face when she was to give her the dock. "How was yesterday with Ryujin? Aside from gossiping about me and Hyeju."

The corner of Jisu's lips curled up, and Chaewon wanted to make fun of her already.

"Good."

Chaewon irked an eyebrow. "I saw that smile. It wasn't just good."

"I spent some time with her in an editing room. She was working on some photos while I pretended to work on my outfit, but watching her work was way more interesting."

"Watching her work, or watching her?" Chaewon snickered.

"Both. I don't know if I'm just seeing things, Chaewon, but I sense... something. She reacts and responds when I try to flirt, she took pretty pictures of me, even though they're for her assignment, but... Am I seeing things?"

"So pretty you changed your profile picture everywhere to that one she took when you went to see the sunset. But indeed, you went to see the sunset, just the two of you, and Ryujin took pictures of you. That's pretty gay, if you ask me."

Jisu stared down at her moving feet, stuffing her hands inside her pockets.

"So, you crushed on her, didn't you?" Chaewon asked.

"Why are you even asking, you know I did. I still cannot believe we're crushing for a pair of childhood friends."

"Hey, you are."

Jisu narrowed her eyes at her. "Park Chaewon, telling me she doesn't have a crush on Hyeju. Ah! Joke of the year."

"S-Shut up!" Chaewon looked around.

"For real, you don't need to hide it. We all know. Maybe, except Hyeju. Or maybe she wishes you did have a crush on her. Good for her that it’s true!"

Chaewon rolled her eyes, but couldn't help the flip on her stomach.

What if... Jisu was right?

---

A/N: I find this chapter so funny idk why, imagine Chaewon NOT having a crush on Hyeju LMAOOOOOO

Next chapter is already… well, you'll see :')))

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic