That kind of cool

One plus One, Two plus Two

Jisu had time to get a snack for herself and one for Ryujin before heading to the cinema and photography building on the other side of campus. She was sure it was the first time she had to go there, and with her sense of direction, she decided to eat on the way there, or else she could leave Ryujin waiting. The last thing she wanted was to cause a bad first impression.

She crossed the pathways connecting the buildings, the main park at the center of campus, and there she was. Now, she just had to find this studio Ryujin said she would be waiting. Jisu grabbed her phone to check the email again - third floor, turn right to the studios, I'll be in the studio number seven. Seemed easy enough.

The building felt foreign, as if Jisu didn't belong there, as if she wasn't a student of that college. She didn't remember any single face she crossed paths with, and it felt weird. But shrugging it away, she rushed to the third floor, turning right just as Ryujin said, and indeed, there was a plaque pointing at the studios. Taking big steps, she reached door number seven, and before knocking, she checked the time. Was she too early? She wouldn't know if she didn't knock. Taking in a deep breath first, she finally knocked on the door.

Jisu could hear a chair scratching the floor on the inside, and a couple of steps later, the door flew open.

"Choi Jisu?"

Jisu did try and imagined what Ryujin would look like since she couldn't find a single picture of her, and she didn't want to go as far as looking for possible Ryujins on Instagram. But in all possibilities her brain could come up with, neither of them included a girl slightly taller than her and that pretty. Her ashy dark brown hair reached her collarbones, and a black beanie adorned her head, giving a contrasting cool vibe compared to the glasses sitting on her nose bridge. Several piercings decorated her ears, but the one that got all of Jisu's attention - the small ring on her left eyebrow.

"Yes," Jisu answered, at last, hoping neither her face wasn't gaining another color, and that her eyes didn't wander too much.

"Hey. Come in."

Ryujin turned and sat down, her Vans, baggy, ripped jeans, and opened up flannel, with a basic black tank top underneath, giving her even more of a cool, relaxed vibe. Jisu stepped inside, closed the door after her, and sat on the chair next to Ryujin. The room was small, there were just the two chairs they were sitting in, and a desk with a computer and two monitors in front of them. Oh, and an expensive looking camera.

"I've never been on this building," Jisu said, scanning around to see if there wasn't really anything else. "What are these rooms for?"

"Editing and such," Ryujin said. "We can come here to study if we want to, but both photography and cinema students use them to edit stuff since the computers have all we need for it."

Jisu nodded, impressed. "That's really nice. Were you editing something?" she asked, even though nothing showed on the computer screens.

"I was going to while I waited for you, but you came earlier."

"I-I didn't want to keep you waiting."

"You didn't."

Jisu gulped. The way Ryujin talked, so nonchalant, and sat, legs opened and bad posture, was so different from the all formal Ryujin that answered her email the day before. And also somehow different from the Ryujin that was on Hyeju's stream just a couple of days ago.

"So, you said you would help me if I helped you," Ryujin said, crossing her leg over the other as she turned her body towards Jisu. "What do you need help with?"

"I'm a fashion design student, and for my next project I need to create an outfit, just like I need someone to be the model and to dress that same outfit."

Ryujin irked an eyebrow. "So, you would create clothes, and I would dress them."

"Basically. Taking a few pictures with the outfit, and that's all."

"Sounds easy. Are you sure you prefer that over the money reward?"

"Oh, sure, don't worry about it at all. Help is all I need."

Shrugging, Ryujin nodded. "Alright, sounds good to me. When's your project due?"

"Mid November."

"So, a month and a half, roughly. I have until the end of October. But I'll still help with yours until the end."

Jisu stared at her, still in complete awe, and smiled. Then, an image flashed on her mind. Of what was written on the flyer - Ryujin is a . She didn't know her, and even though Chaewon told her she seemed really nice and funny, she still didn't know Ryujin. For now, she would believe it had been someone jealous. It was easy to imagine how one could be jealous of her. Ryujin was simply so cool and pretty.

"Thank you. I'm glad I contacted you," Jisu said. "What's your project about?"

"Oh, you know, the typical capturing feelings and emotions with photography. Using people and scenery and lighting and all that to capture different moods."

"I see. Do you have any ideas already of some pics you wanna take?"

"Honestly, no. I guess I'll just wing it as I go. Since we need each other's help, we should be together enough times for me to take a few pictures. What about you, have any idea of the type of clothes you wanna do?"

"Honestly, no." Jisu copied her, laughing, earning a small chuckle from Ryujin. And was it cute... "Tell me what kind of clothes you like to wear. Since it's you who's gonna wear them, it's only fair if I take your preference into consideration."

Ryujin bounced her leg, irking an eyebrow as she thought, and then looked down at herself. "I normally dress like this. Comfy jeans, vans or other kinds of sneakers, and t-shirts, plaids, or sweaters."

"You like to look cool, then."

"Cool? I look cool?"

"It was the first thing that came to my mind when you opened the door. I looked at you and thought, wow, she's so cool."

"Well, thanks, that's nice to know. I looked at you and thought, wow, she's so pretty."

It wasn't like Jisu wasn't used to that kind of compliment, but for some reason, this one left her beaming, the warmth under her cheeks stronger by the second. "Thank you, Ryujin. Y-You're very pretty too."

No, they weren't flirting with each other after five minutes of meeting. Jisu was stating facts only.

Ryujin nodded. "But about the outfit, feel free to do whatever you want. You don't need to limit yourself by what I said. If you want to make a dress, go ahead. I'll dress whatever."

"Alright. But I think I have a few ideas already, so, thanks."

Ryujin irked an eyebrow. "You're welcome, I guess. I'm curious to see what kind of clothes you’re gonna come up with.”

"Me too, actually. But I'm gonna make sure it will be something cool."

"If you need an opinion, feel free to ask as well."

"Oh, that's nice. I'll keep that in mind."

"And if you want to start doing something, go ahead." Ryujin turned to the computer, bringing the chair closer to the desk.

"Are you going to work now?"

"Yeah."

"Can I take a look at your pictures?"

"Hm, sure."

Ryujin opened Photoshop while connecting her SD card to the computer. The main folder opened, and navigating through more and more folders, Ryujin opened an image. Jisu let her chin drop, a soft gasp escaping her lips as she marveled at the beautiful picture of the sunset over Han River.

"That's beautiful."

"Right?" Ryujin mumbled.

Jisu's eyes averted to her, and for the following moments, she admired Ryujin instead. Her side profile, her high cheekbone, prominent with the light from the screens reflected on it, the cute curve of her nose, her full lips curved in a small smile.

"I love walking by the river, and I've lost count of the number of pictures I've taken there already," Ryujin said, turning and meeting Jisu's stare on her.

Catching off guard, Jisu focused on the screen. "I-I love walking by the river as well! Doesn't matter how many times I go there, I don't get tired."

"Exactly. What kind of emotion does this picture transmit to you?"

"Peace," Jisu said without a second thought. "Calm."

"Really?"

"Yeah. It brings me back there, as if I could feel the breeze, hear the water, breath in the fresh air."

Without another word, Ryujin opened that same picture on Photoshop.

"Gonna edit that one?" Jisu eyed her.

"Yes. You told me everything I needed to hear."

In Jisu's eyes, the photo didn't need any editing. It captured everything beautiful about the sun setting behind the tall buildings and the bridge, the orange trail following behind and reflecting on the river. But when Ryujin started adjusting a thing here and there, Jisu was left in awe again. It did look even better, the colors more vibrant, but the mood intact.

"That's amazing," Jisu mumbled. "Is that one of the pictures for your feelings and all project?"

"Maybe," Ryujin said. "Maybe not. Maybe just a pretty picture. Who knows."

Jisu stayed watching her edit a bit more, since she was actually enjoying it, and Ryujin didn't seem to mind. Then, a question popped up in her mind. "Do you have an Instagram or something?"

"No."

"Not even for your photos?"

Ryujin stopped for a second to face her. "Like, one of those trendy, Instagram pages with cool pics and lame and, or, inspiration quotes?"

Jisu let out a chuckle. "Yeah."

Ryujin matched her light giggle, staring ahead at the screens again. "Nah."

"Why not? Your photos are great."

"You only saw this one."

"But I bet you have way more."

"I do have lots and lots of photos. That doesn't mean they're good to post."

Jisu pouted, even though Ryujin wasn't looking her way. When she seemed done, Ryujin saved the edited picture and removed her SD card. "It's done."

"You're not gonna edit anymore?"

"No. I was probably going to spend way more time trying to choose one to edit, but since you decided for me, it was pretty quick."

Grabbing her backpack and putting her camera inside, Jisu took the hint that Ryujin was going to leave. They stood up and Jisu observed as Ryujin put on the deep brown leather jacket with beige fur on the collar, and if she thought Ryujin couldn't look any cooler, she was wrong.

They stepped outside the small room to the silence of the corridor. Ryujin went on ahead and Jisu followed until they left the building. Almost all the students they crossed paths with threw them side looks. But while Ryujin kept her stare ahead, Jisu stared back at them, thinking again about the little note on the flyer. Was Ryujin that envied around there? What was their problem with her?

The sun was setting, and the breeze was blowing stronger, colder. Ryujin pulled the zipper of her jacket up, the fur protecting her neck.

"We should exchange numbers so we can meet anytime soon to work," Ryujin said, fetching her phone from her back pocket.

"Oh, of course." Jisu did the same.

"Text me when you're free." Ryujin took out some fancy airpods from her backpack, an adorable white case with flowers protecting them, and put them on her ears underneath her black beanie.

"You can too."

Ryujin nodded. "Thanks again." She took a step back. "Bye."

"Bye, Ryujin. O-Oh, wait!" Jisu suddenly remembered that she had bought Ryujin a snack. She stopped in her tracks, looking back at Jisu as she extended the chocolate bar she got. "I got this for you and I almost forgot."

Ryujin's eyes jumped between Jisu's face and the chocolate in her hand. She finally accepted it. "Thanks. That's my fav, actually."

"Oh, I chose well, then.” A Lion chocolate bar. “Enjoy."

With a nod, Ryujin smiled and turned, walking away, but Jisu kept rooted to the ground, observing as Ryujin stuffed her hands inside her jacket's pockets and rocked her head with whatever song she was listening to.

What kind of music did Ryujin listen to? For some reason, Jisu could imagine her listening to some rock, alternative band, and she giggled with the thought. Or maybe hip hop and rap. She really didn't have a clue, but she kept wondering about it on her way back to her dorm.

Since she in fact had a few ideas, she dropped to the floor in front of the low table in the center of her small apartment and fetched her sketchbook from her bag. Opening the next empty page, she tapped her chin, trying to hold onto one of the ideas that floated in her mind. She lowered her mechanical pencil to the paper and sketched a basic model first, the form of the woman's body so ingrained in her mind and muscular memory it took her not even a minute.

Then, on top, she drew a long-sleeved button-up shirt, but the front was like a crop top, ending just below the chest, while the back part was long. As for the legs, high-waisted jeans. Or maybe leather. And the back part of the shirt could be tucked inside. So many options, she would have to do several of those sketches.

But as she was already on her fifth one, she took a break, stretching her back and her arms up with a low grunt. Reaching for her phone, she decided to call Chaewon to tell her all about her meeting with Ryujin.

"Hey," Chaewon greeted as she picked up. "Nice timing, I just finished recording my next ASMR video."

"Hey, Chaewonie. Oh, nice, what is it about?"

There was a pause. "You'll see when I upload it."

Jisu irked an eyebrow. "Why the suspense?"

"Nothing. What's up?"

"I met up with Ryujin today."

"Already?"

Jisu chuckled. "Yeah. The sooner we both got someone to help, the better. She accepted."

"That's great! She's nice, isn't she?"

Everything about her popped up in her mind again. The way she dressed, the way she spoke, the way she smiled, even if just a hint of one as she mentioned the sunset and how she likes to take walks by the river.

"You should just have warned me she was that cool," Jisu mumbled, climbing to lay down on her bed.

"Cool? How so?"

"Everything. And she's super pretty."

"I never saw her face, there's no way I could have known. And how pretty?"

"Like, super pretty. Gorgeous, I would dare say. And cool. So cool, Chaewon, you don't understand."

"You mentioned that already."

"She has a piercing on her eyebrow! I'm talking that kind of cool."

Chaewon burst out in loud laughs. "Please don't tell me you crushed already."

"I-I didn't. But she did tell me I'm pretty..."

"She did? Why?"

"Because I told her she's cool. And then she showed me a photo she took, and I watched her edit it for a bit."

"Wow, Jisu."

"What?"

"Nothing, nothing. I still cannot believe it's Ryujin, of all people. Did you tell her anything about me?" A sudden panic echoed in her voice.

"No, don't worry."

"But... Maybe you won't have to."

Jisu's eyebrow arched. "How so?"

"I..." Chaewon took in a deeper breath. "I visited Café Rosy today."

Jisu bolted upright on her bed, her eyes widening. "You did?! Did you meet Hyeju?"

Chaewon told her all about their meeting, and Jisu listened attentively, laughing here and there.

"She really did recognize you right away! And let me guess, the ASMR video you just finished recording was a motivational one."

"It's really that easy to see, isn't it?"

"After you saying it's Hyeju's fav, yes. But it's good! And it's cute. It's really cute. I'm sure she'll catch on to the fact that you did it on purpose for her."

"I-It was not just for her!"

"Of course not." Jisu smirked, and was sure Chaewon could imagine it. "Did you keep her number?"

"Her... no. I didn't ask."

Jisu facepalmed. "Why not?"

"Because I can just go there again if I want to meet her."

"You better go."

"I want to. I already did once, so why not do it again. Just like she said, that's a café anyway. And I'm a customer."

"Invite us next time"

"N-Not yet."

"When you feel more comfortable with Hyeju, then. Oh, and that's why you said that maybe I don't need to tell Ryujin anything. Hyeju herself will probably tell her that you visited."

"Yeah, maybe. Or maybe it's not something relevant enough to tell her."

Frowning, Jisu shook her head. "Of course it is. Wasn't it Ryujin suggesting your channel to her in the first place? That means Ryujin also knows you and watches your videos."

"I just know this is all a big coincidence."

"It really is."

---

A/N: Ryujin's always this cool, I don't make the rules

Another character to make her appearance next chapter! (alongside one of the side pairings… hehehehe)

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic