015

Finish Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]15[/CONTENTID1]
[CONTENTID2]A Mother[/CONTENTID2]
[CONTENTID3]

 

Baekhyun was sitting next to his sister, Jihyo, in a taxi, which was driving them to the ariprot. He was silent, thinking what would be the best sentence to say when he meets Park Bom. He sighed. Was it worth it? To go all the way from France to Korea to meet her?

"Since the day I was born, I've rarely seen mom smile," Jihyo started automatically. "She was always sad, as if she has lost something, something that she couldn't find and was searching for it every day. I remember how she came to your school to see you from afar," She smiled. "That was the times I loved the most, because I could see her genuine smile. Mom was the happiest when she saw you walking to your father's car and get in."

"She... she... she came to my school?!" Baekhyun's eyes were wide open, surprised by the sudden information. 

"She was really sad when you left Korea... like she had lost everything, but then... you became a racer. Mom was the proudest I swear," She sniffed. "The way her eyes shines when she watches you race is the prettiest. She's never missed a Grand Prix to watch."

"Really?"

"Yeah, to mom... you are the universe," She pressed her lips together. "She asked me to take you to her, she said she wants to meet you, to take your hand and... to feel your heartbeat."

He nodded. "Thank you for coming, Jihyo-ssi."

■■■

The girl smiled as she walked in the hotel's hallway with her friend. "This is really cute," She said in Korean, holding her phone in her hand tightly. "Oh my..." She bit her lower lip. "Something is living inside of my body..." She caressed her belly.

Lisa shook her head. "A baby, not something."

"Y-yeah, I've not gotten used to it yet," She said. "Did you hear that heartbeat? It was beautiful..."

The older woman put her hand around her waist and pulled her close to her body. "Hearing a baby's heartbeat is the real melody of life. That's why it is lovely."

"I recorded it for Baekhyun," She grinned. "He said he'll marry me if he finds out that I'm pregnant."

"Really? You aren't even dating for a month and you've talked about marriage already?" Lisa asked.

"It's because we two have slept together even before dating. And I asked him a question related to this when I noticed that I'm pregnant."

The doctor nodded. "Don't tell Suzy about the baby, ok?"

She rolled her eyes. "Why does everyone think I am stupid?"

She laughed. "Maybe because you are."

"Hey!" The racer pushed her away. "You are really mean!"

The girl laughed louder. "Yes, Sehun tells me that too," She said and walked back to her. "This is your room, right Ms. Jung?"

"Yes, Ms. Peterson," She hugged the older one tightly after opening the door. "Have a good night! I love you so much..."

"Ah... you've become... so emotional recently..."

She giggled. "I know, right?" She pulled away. "Good night."

"Night..."

Ryujin walked in and closed the door. She heard the sound of shower, realizing that her personal assistant was in the bathroom. She lay on her bed and started dialing Baekhyun's number. 

"Honey..."

"How are you, Baekhyunnie? Did you meet her?" She asked.

"Nah, we are on the way to the hospital. We arrived last night and went to Jihyo-ssi's house."

"Oh... what time is it in Seoul?"

"Ten A.M, how about there?"

"I think we are in yesterday," She chuckled. "Eight P.M."

"I will come back right after I'm done here..." He said. "Ryujin?"

"Hmm?"

"I miss you, babe."

She covered , smiling. "Me too, I miss you so much, and... I hate to be in the room you aren't in."

"Well, I can ask Jongdae to book a room for us two," He suggested. "Accidentally."

"Yes, accidentally," She bit her nail. "Then we can sleep next to each other without others suspecting."

"I can't wait to hug you while sleeping, doll."

"Doll?" She laughed. "I'm nothing like a doll..."

"Yeah... you are way prettier."

"Fine, fine. I want to sleep," She yawned. "I got to go..."

He chuckled. "Good night, my love."

"Take care," She ended the call and put her phone away. "My baby... that was your daddy," She touched her belly. "He doesn't know about you now, but be sure, he'll love you as much as I do once he finds out..."

■■■

"Who was that?" Jihyo asked as they got out of the car. Baekhyun glanced at her and put his phone in his pocket. "Oh... right, none of my business."

"My girlfriend," He said as they walked in the hospital. "Jung Ryujin..."

"Uh, yes. She told me that you are her boyfriend," She smiled and got into the elevator. "When I first called her... she talked to me as if I was going to steal you."

"She has become sensitive after breaking up with Daniel because of you..." He whispered. "Oh... don't tell anyone that Ryu and I are dating."

"Ok... you can trust me."


Baekhyun walked in ICU department alongside Jihyo. He felt nervous. He was scared. What if his mother would react the same when she saw him? It made him hesitate many times on the way to her room, though he wanted to see her once more, maybe for the last time. They were walking in the hallway when some nurses ran, passing them in hurry. 

Baekhyun frowned. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know," Jihyo walked faster. "Follow me..." She started running. 

The racer ran after his sister and they both stopped in front of a room. Jihyo gasped and walked closer, looking through the window. "What is-" He stopped, seeing the doctor performing CPR. "Is she mom?"

Jihyo covered as she nodded. "Please..."

Baekhyun turned to the people in the room and put a hand on the window. He bit his lower lip in fear. He couldn't lose her like that. She had to stay alive to make up all those years. She had to stay alive and hug him for once. She had to do those all. "Mom..."

After thirty minutes, the team stopped trying. The doctor walked out of the room and took off his mask. Jihyo walked to him. "Uncle Yesung?"

"Jihyo-ah... I'm, I'm sorry... Jihyo, I did my best, but-"

"She is gone?" The girl mumbled. "That's not it, is it?"

"I'm really sorry to confirm this, but yeah... you guessed correctly. Your mother is... gone."

"The kind of gone that there is no turning back?" She asked hopelessly. 

"Yeah..."

"Are you kidding me?"

"No, I'm so sorry, Jihyo..."

"Why should-"

Baekhyun passed his sister and grabbed the doctor's collar. "Are you a ing doctor or not?! How can this happen?! She was ok! Jihyo talked to her on phone!"

"Baekhyun-ssi!" Jihyo grabbed him by shoulder. "He is one of the best doctors in the country, let go of him!"

Baekhyun's eyes became teary. "So what?" He let him go. "He couldn't save my mother," He hit his own chest. "What's the point of being the best?" He walked into the room. The racer glanced at nurses and sat on a chair close to her bed. 

Baekhyun stared at the heartbeat monitor for some minutes. His eyes wasn't playing with him. The line was straight. He pressed his lips together before talking her hand in his. "Mom..." He mumbled. "Mom, I'm here. You said you wanted to see me," He placed her hand on his chest. "Wake up. It's your Baekhyunnie. You said you wanted to feel my heartbeat... can you feel it?" 

He could hear the nurses' sobs, but he didn't care at all. "Why is this world so unfair to me? I wanted to feel you caressing my cheeks for once, why couldn't I?" He mumbled, face wet with tears. "I wanted to feel your embrace's warmth for once, why couldn't I?"

"Baekhyun-ssi..." Jihyo sobbed.

"I'm one of the fastest drivers in the world, so why I am too late for you..." He placed his head on her chest and started crying loudly. "Why..."

■■■

Baekhyun was sitting on the bed in his mother's house's guest room. He wasn't feeling fine, he was numb. He opened his eyes when his phone started ringing. He took a look at the caller's iD: Mon Reve. He cleared his throat before answering. "Yes babe?"

"Baekhyunnie! Where are you? Why didn't you answer my calls?! You know how scared and worried I was?!" Ryujin shouted.

"I'm sorry, hon... I wasn't feeling fine." His lips started trembling. 

"Why? Are you ok, dear?" She asked. "Did you meet your mother?"

"I did..." He whispered. 

"Hyun?" She called with confusion. "You don't seem all right, is everything ok?"

"No, it's not ok..." He sobbed. "I'm not ok."

"Hon, what is it? Why are you crying?" She asked. "You are making me worried, should I come to Korea?"

"My mom left me, again..."

"What?"

"She is gone..." He covered his eyes.

"Oh no, you mean that she...?" She whispered and he broke into tears. "I'll, I'll fly to Incheon as soon as possible," She ended the call. 

Baekhyun closed his eyes again and sighed, sniffing. The door was knocked and someone walked in. "Uh... hyung- I mean, Baekhyun-ssi?" It was Jaemin, Jihyo's younger brother- which meant, he was his younger brother too. "I brought a suit for you. It's for funeral ceremony," He didn't move. "I'll put it here," The boy placed the suit on the desk before walking back to the door. "You know, I've never felt lonely like this... noona and I are both young and... oh... I shouldn't say these..." He left the room. 

Baekhyun jumped out of bed and walked out of the room. He looked at Jihyo and Jaemin who were sitting there silently. He went to them and sat next to his younger brother. "Jihyo?"

"Yes, Baekhyun-ssi?" She looked at him, wiping her nose.

He tapped the place beside him. "Come here..."

She stood up and went to him. "What's wrong?" She sniffed.

"You think... now you have no one, am I right?" Baekhyun asked.

Jaemin nodded. "Baekhyun-ssi, we-"

"Well, you are wrong," He said as he put his hands around their shoulders and pulled them closer to his embrace. "You have your older brother..."

"Baekhyun-ssi..." Jihyo whispered. 

"And I don't like how you address me... oppa is what I prefer," He turned to the boy. "Same goes for you, young man. Only hyung."

"I love you, Baekhyun hyung..." Jaemin held him tightly. 

Baekhyun chuckled and looked at Jihyo, raising an eyebrow. "Aren't you going to say anything?"

She smiled thinly and leaned her head on his chest. "Thank you, oppa."

■■■

After funeral, Ryujin looked around the graveyard, searching for her boyfriend. "Did you find him?" Junmyeon asked.

"Not yet- oh! There he is..." She pointed at him who was helping his half-sister get into the car.

"You go to him first darling, we'll meet him later..." Tiffany said.

"But where will you go?"

Soyeon crossed her arms and sighed. "Probably home."

"I'll go with them, Ryu... I think he needs you the most now," Jongdae added.

"Ok," She took off her sunglasses as she walked to him. "Baekhyun..." She called as soon as she approached him.

Jaemin looked at her with a frown.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter