eight

Reverie

eight

 

 

“I leave you for ten minutes and I return to gossip and news of your canoodling with the Prince!” Jongdae paced back and forth as a very concerned mother and father watch him parent me. Truthfully, it hadn't been much of a scandal as my brother exaggerated. I suppose he was just angry that I taken advantage of his absence.

 

I huffed, "Whoever would consider a simple chat as canoodling, is beyond me! Perhaps someone unaware of our past friendship or jealousy, who knows."

 

I studied the room carefully to see the reactions of my family, brushing a loose strand of hair from my face as I sipped on my morning tea. Mother and Father had just finished breakfast, joining me in the sunroom as I read a list of ingredients Madam Min wanted me to fetch before I arrived at work today. It had been a fine morning. I woke up feeling oddly serene and at peace, that is, until my brother barged in and ruined my pleasant mood.

 

"You know how this places me in a difficult predicament with those who I serve in the palace sister!" Jongdae hissed, "Instead of practicing philosophy or- or perhaps even the sciences, I will have to deal with talks of you and prince and the possiblilty if the Third Prince's marriage is not of an alliance, how the Kingdom will crumble." 

 

"If the kingdom is dependent on one lousy marriage," I started, "Then it's not exactly a stable Kingdom at all is it?" I could see that my brother was close to losing it. There was steam practically coming out of his ears. 

 

“Brother,” I rolled my eyes up, “We didn't even spend ten minutes together and may I add that you returned without a rice cake for me to enjoy or the beverage you were curious for from that lovely servant, what’s her name?”

 

“Chaewon,” He answered without thinking and I gave him a knowing look, trying my best not to break out into a wide grin.

 

"Chaewon," I repeated, "What a beautiful name for a sister-in-law, wouldn't you agree father?"

 

My father, a man of military status, beamed at his fueding children proud that the the education had not extinguished the fire of a fight in us. He gave an approving nod at Jongdae who became flustered for a moment. His anger returned, pointing his accusing finger at me, “That’s not the point. Point is you are not going to the Fête! The Dutchess of Silla was glaring holes at you anytime a Prince came near you. Could you imagine if they speculated anything more between the Third Prince and you?”

 

My father gave Jongdae a prompt nod, “I believe that actions of others is not her fault, dear son.”

 

“Father!”

 

“If the Crowned Prince chooses to dance with her or if Prince Baekhyun wants time to make up for the past years, then they should be able to do so freely. There is no harm done. Your friendship with the Crowned Prince isn't scrutinized despite your odd beginnings.” My father gave me a gentle smile, “We don’t get to pick how the Royals show us their gratitude. Our job is to accept it and be thankful, no matter what society thinks.”

 

Jongdae plopped down in defeat, he scowled at me.

 

“It’s not gratitude he's showing…” He mumbled under his breath.

 

“Speaking of society,” My mother turned to my father and I, “Our neighbors heard that you bumped into one of their nephews sometime last week, Kaira. Running? I don't want to assume you were rushing to that silly work place and forgot your manners! And on the streets, no less!"

 

If I was frank, I couldn't recall bumping into anyon- oh. I crumbled when a small memory came back to me and I ducked my head in shame. Perhaps I had, I do recall a vague handsome face from last week.

 

It was something that didn't go unnoticed by my mother, "Well if you must know. I had a lovely chat with him when I went for tea at our neighbor's just yesterday. He’s new to Myeongwol, perhaps you and your brother can introduce him to the Society at the Fête.”

 

My brother and I exchanged looks.

 

“Mother, Society is one thing, a Royal Fête is another,” My brother looked like he was about to lose his insanity. It must be a hard day for him.

 

I let out a laugh, “And besides what makes you think Jongdae and I are qualified to even be the speakers of the society. ”

 

Jongdae and I shared a laugh. The first in a long time. Even with the amount of education and training, we could fully grasp the concept that we were nowhere near what a real citizen of society was privileged with. Introduing him to this world is like asking a fish to show us how to climb.

 

My mother pursed her lips in defiance and placed her teacup down, “Well I already invited him for dinner, so you-”

 

She pointed at me and my smile faltered.

 

“I cannot stop you from going to your work but I request you come early, before sundown, to welcome the Do’s nephew. And you," She pointed at my brother, “You will invite him to a round of cards with your friends after dinner, understood?”

 

I stood up and placed a kiss on top of Mother and Father’s head, “Of course, I must run now, there is a shipment of oils Madam Min wants me to get.”

 

With that, I went on with my day, traveling to the markets, grabbing sweets to snack on and joining Madam Min in the late morning to have her instruct me on creating perfumes. I was astounded of the strong scent when I entered but I was even more astounded at the size of a beautiful flower arrangement that sat at the front of the store. I looked at the ornate bouquet and smiled before entering the backroom where Madam Min was hard at work stirring a hot pot of dizzying oils. 

 

"What a beautiful arrangement of flowers," I pointed out, "Who are they from?"

 

The old woman flashed me a wicked smile, shrugging, "I don't know."

 

I blinked, "Well who are they for?"

 

She simply smiled once more and my curiosity had me march up back to the flowers to take a good look at it. I looked around the giant arrangement for any clue. There was nothing but just the the beautiful flowers themselves. They were a brilliant share of orange with specks of brown on the petals. There were even some soft pink ones too. I smiled and shrugged. 

 

"What kind of lilies are these?" I called out to Madam Min.

 

Her head stuck out from the back and once again that smile came back, "Tiger Lilies."

 

I felt my face warm up as I realized these flowers might have been costly and, if there was anything that found itself in Madam Min's store that was expensive, it had to be from the royals. I composed myself before I rejoined Madam Min who presented me with one tiny vile of oil. I took off the stopper and sniffed, wincing at how powerful the scent was.

 

I pinched my nose and gave Madam Min a look to which she let out a hearty laugh, “It’s all the rage in the west. You just need a tiny bit to dilute in a medium. I want to try mixing it with the wax for the hair or the creams so they don’t smell so earthy.”

 

Madam and I worked tirelessly through out the day and although she wasn’t quite satisfied with any of her creations, she gave me a small tube of perfumed wax to take, it smelled of lavender and oranges. Before I left, I stole a few flowers from the bouquet to keep for myself. Once I was outside, the air felt light and fresh, opposed to the heavy scents mixing and molding in the apothecary. I jostled down the streets reaching Saeryeo Row before the streetmen began to light the torches for the street lamps. It was late. I had promised my mother to be home before sundown.

 

She was going to be angry that I was late for dinner. Still, I unapologetically allowed myself in admiring the flowers in my hands and headed straight to the dining room where my seat was taken by a wide-eyed man. In shock, he immediately rose to his feet and bowed at my disruptive entrance. My mother sent me a well deserved glare.

 

“Ah,” Jongdae gasped out, “There she is, The Tigress herself, Kaira.”

 

My father apologized for the poor upbringing of his children to the unknown man. The stranger let out a nervous smile and shook his head.

 

“No need,” He politely bowed his head, “It is an honor to have finally meet your daughter.”

 

I gave a low bow before I took a seat next to my brother, a plate of food had appeared in front of me before I was able to get settled.

 

“Kim Kaira,” I greeted, “It is a pleasure you joined us this evening.”

 

He perked up, “Lord Kyungsoo.”

 

Jongdae took a swig of his drink, “You may now ask her all the questions you have. She did, indeed, drive her blade through the thick neck of that tiger. It is true she had saved the young prince. And yes, she is still quite annoying.”

 

I shifted uncomfortably in my chair as I avoided the curious wide look of Lord Kyungsoo.

 

I cleared my throat, “That’s what most people believe from the lore.”

 

I glanced at my brother as he sipped his drink. There was a small pause before I cleared my throat. 

 

“It’s a bit too much, if I’m honest,” I let a blush reach my cheeks, “I think the tale is larger than the truth. My brother actually was the one who wounded the tiger. He had been trying to lure it away when the Third Prince walked into the danger. If it hadn’t been for Jongdae, I’m sure the tiger would have done great harm.”

 

My brother gave me a long look.

 

“I’m sure the tiger was also a young one as well,” I gave a prompt nod, “There’s no way I could have faced a fully grown tiger.”

 

Lord Kyungsoo let out a smile before patting his mouth with a napkin.

 

“You’re daughter is generously humble.” He commented to my parents, “The feat is still rather impressive, even if the truth doesn’t match the myth.”

 

Lord Kyungsoo turned to Jongdae, “Is quick thinking a family trait? Luring a tiger away from my sisterwould not have been a choice I would have made.”

 

Jongdae let out a laugh, “I suppose the dumb logic of a thirteen year old is hard to understand.”

 

Our family let out a joyous laugh and for the first time since my arrival, and in years, I felt a tension ease between my brother and I.

 

 

The next day all of my family was rushing around getting ready. Lay had delivered my next garment, a yellow number with a matching brimmed hat and an open jacket with sleeves that cut off at the elbow.

 

I looked at my mother at the ornate design of the yellow fabric. She shrugged and went off to finish dressing herself.

 

Considering I didn’t have enough time, I twisted my hair into a smooth low bun as Lay had instructed and placed the hat askew on my head.

 

He took a step back to admire his work and gave an approving look.

 

“Hats are all the rage in England,” He commented.

 

“And the arms?” I stuck my arms out to show all the skin that was exposed.

 

“It is the late summer,” He winked, “I don’t see how the Silla women aren’t dropping like flies in this heat in their heavy layers of fabric. I'd never subject you to that kind of cruelty. And if I say so myself, you're dressed better than them anyways. Trust me, I know their seamstress. She complains of all the ugly fabric they require. Don’t forget your parasol and this.

 

He handed me another beautiful piece, pinning it to the of my jacket. It was two tiger lilies that he had found in my room that I had put in water. He had taken the liberty to make a corsage for me with ribbon and pearls. I blinked at the creation. 

"

It's beautiful." I smiled.


 "It's you." He winked and pushed me out the door, mentioning that he needed to get back to work at his workshop for the next event.

 

Seeing how creative his work is, I couldn't fully imagine what else Lay had created.

 

I climbed down the stairs to meet my family at the foyer. They all gave me a curious look as they took in my new garment.

 

“Better than those silly work clothes,” My mother shined, kissing me on my cheek.

 

“Will every event be another demand for attention?” My brother groaned, I lightly smacked him with my parasol.

 

“I think you look lovely,” Another deep voice said and it didn’t belong to my father. Lord Kyungsoo peered around the corner, fixing his cuff links as he entered the foyer.

 

Jongdae sighed, “I hope you’re not too hungover from last night, I did mention Prince Junmyeon likes his drink.”

 

I blinked, “You played cards with the Prince?”

 

My brother rolled his eyes, “What other friends do I have, Kaira?”

 

Father waved his hands in the air, “Enough, let’s get into the carriage. Personally, I can’t wait for a restful day of fun and sport.”

 

“I heard the horse race is quite the event,” Lord Kyungsoo mentioned as we all made our way outside, nearly fooling those around us of a well-dressed family.

 

“Have you even ridden a horse, Miss Kaira?” Lord Kyungsoo asked, helping me up the carriage. Once seated I flattened out my dress, free from wrinkles and shook my head.

 

“It’s not a part of finishing school curriculum, unfortunately.” I piped up.

 

Jongdae gave me an exaggerated sweeten smile, “They do, however, teach them western dances to seduce a possible prince.”

 

“I have done nothing of the sort!” I gasped out.

 

“Today, you will stick to father’s side,” Jongdae ordered, “Unfortunately, mother wants me to mingle to see what the general opinion is of you.”

 

“It’s only to see how our Kaira fares in her prospects,” My mother beamed, “And thank you for joining us today, Lord Kyungsoo. I’m sure your knowledge of Society will help me greatly. As you can see my own children are of no help for a woman who didn’t grow up in this life.”

 

Lord Kyungsoo shook his head, “It is no burden at all, The Crowned Prince extended a friendly invite after a I won an impressive round of cards. Lucky Hand.”

 

My father let out a loud chuckle, “In this family, we take our luck very seriously.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I promise to write more Baekhyun soon. I just need to establish the story more! I hope you enjoyed the famly dynamic. I actually really enjoy writing this family. ^^