seventeen

Reverie

seventeen

 

 

“It is of the utmost importance you accompany him on his trip,” I finished. I was kneeling at my father’s feet, cupping his rough hands with my own, urging him of my plan. My brother sat across from my father, rubbing his temples, astonished of what scheme I have divulged to them.

 

It was nearing midnight when we had arrived back from the Honoring which was easy to complete our attendance. I had spent the entire rest of the night dancing with Lord Kyungsoo and my brother alike. It took my mind off the heartbreak and only allowed me time to build up a plan. It also helped that I would catch Baekhyun eyes every so often to fuel my determination to present my suspicions to my father.

 

My father’s mouth was parted as he exchanged looks with my brother who was equally as shocked who was sinking into his seat understanding what was needed out of his role.

 

“Please,” I begged my father who although had sleep heavy on his lids, remained alert enough to understand the gravity of the situation.

 

My father slowly shook his head and let out a long sigh, “My precious girl.”

 

I felt my chin weakened but I clasped on tighter to his hands, “Father, I promise this isn’t for me.”

 

“Well it sort of is,” Jongdae muttered under his breath.

 

“There’s only one flaw in your suspicions of the Queen,” My father closed his eyes. I sat waiting eagerly to hear his input.

 

“The Queen does not benefit at all from the alliance of the marriage.” My father cleared his throat, “The Queen has no interest or ties to the Silla Kingdom and suggesting otherwise is treason on a reputational standing. Because of the standing of her marriage The Queen will eventually relinquish her family power over Hanseong to another.”

 

I was reminded of how delicate the situation was if I was wrong, for my entire family as well. My father sat back mulling a thought over and over in his head when Jongdae questioned why it would be that the Queen would lose her power over time.

 

 “Before you both were born, the marriage between the King and Queen was quite a stir.” He calmly began, gulping as if it was the start of a heavy connection.

A stir? I began to picture a dramatic telling of a forbidden love. I fully expected that the King fell for a servant like the picture books I’ve read with Prince Junmyeon but it was nothing of the sort.

 

“Because the Queen’s Family had no rightful male heir, it was only right for her to take a husband from the South to keep her title and make a Prince a King.”

 

“The South?” I questioned, “The Silla Kingdom?”

 

“Baekje,” My father removed one hand and his bread in thought. I felt my body straightened. Baekje? I blinked rapidly at the memories that flooded in. That was where I received my schooling from. In a small academy where they boasted they made the finest of ladies from the girls who attended.

 

That’s what that Kingdom was known for, their utmost care of their traditions and arts. Their palaces, although small, was almost as picturesque as the fairy tales I’ve read.

 

“Our King is from Baekje?” My brother asked and my father responded with a simple nod.

 

The Kingdom of Baekje and Silla were notoriously small but weighty in their contributions of their land. They trained the most brutal warriors due to the concern of possible invasion and both Kingdoms were an entry point for any sea travelers. The ports were great to bring in fantastic imports from Japan, too. And as I remember, Prince Baekhyun once mentioned…

 

“My father urged me to get close to the eldest Duchess of Silla,” Baekhyun admitted, “Her father has heavily guarded fortresses that would benefit us financially if we could alleviate the taxes on some imported goods.”

 

His father… The King?

 

I glanced at my brother. He read my quizzical expression and he shook his head.

 

“Please don’t tell me.” He gently closed his eyes, letting out a soft groan.

 

“Father?” I called out in a whisper as to not wake mother who had gone up to her slumber a while before we arrived.

 

“I will express my concerns to the King and Queen,” He said in a sad tone, “That Prince Baekhyun’s visit to Silla must not be taken lightly and to guard him is of the utmost importance.”

 

“You must be in attendance when he goes, father.” I reminded him before I turned back to my brother, “And you must get more information out of Lady Eungyo. Her and her family live on the boarder, they must know more about Silla.”

 

My brother sighed, “I’m only doing this for our kingdom’s sake. If it was solely for your vainly purposes, I would have left for bed an hour ago.”

 

“You know what would happen if we fail to present proper evidence throwing suspicions such as the ones you bring forth?” My father leaned in with a low rumble to his voice. He knew. I knew. We all knew and I still nodded my head, which cause a painful pride swell in his chest.

 

“My Kaira,” He sighed solemnly, “She will bring two great changes…”

 

 

My life went on as normal for the next ten days. I was back at Madam’s Apothacary, observing her trade and greeting customers. Madam Min insisted that she’s seen a change in me.
 

She says I’m glowing. Perhaps from the incoming nuptials?

 

I felt embarrassed but I couldn’t deny the rumors floating around the Kingdom and High Society. A few of my mother’s acquaintances had stopped us during our shopping asking if we had handed out invitations yet.

 

If we picked out the food to serve.

 

What about the flowers we intended to order?

 

My mother elegantly responded with a simple explanation that we were to hold “a very private affair” and it was enough for the curious minds to stick their pompous noses in the air and walk away.

 

Truth be told, even my mother wasn’t aware of the details of the upcoming wedding. She begged to know who will be coming in a few days’ time to whisk me away to marital bliss. I wasn’t aware myself. My brother promised that on the Sunday, Ten at night, I will be wedded.

 

My mother and father were beyond delighted but still concerned about the suddenness and secrecy of it all.

 

My father seemed to figure that it had to be connected to my wild allegations, but he kept it to himself, in order to protect my mother’s joy as she had invited Lay over to make her a dress as well as mine. 

 

I didn’t mind pretending that I was happy for this upcoming marriage, I found a purpose in my life.

 

Every day, after I sweated over a boiling pot of scents or the molding of new soaps to soothe skin ailments. I cleaned up the front shop after closing time, sweeping the bit of dirt and debris that came in from foot traffic of the day.

 

Madam Min always patted my cheek right before I eagerly waited to be dismissed. I couldn’t wait to get home.

 

She winked at me as she reminded me of the orange scented oil she gave me.

 

“Have you been using it?” She asked.

 

I cocked my head, recalling that the small vile had been tuck away in my purse since the night before Prince Junmyeon’s honoring. I shook my head giving her an honest answer.

 

She sighed, “Shame.”

 

I was about to leave the shop, about to say my final goodbyes when Madam Min slipped out a sliver of knowledge to me.

 

“Such a lovely scent. I’ve heard that it’s the Third Princes’ favorite.” She gave me a knowing look right before I thanked her a bolted out. I cheerfully ran through the darken streets. Now that summer was dying, opening its arms out to receive autumn, the nights came sooner.

 

The clatter of my footsteps rang out into the hard streets of the Myeongwol District until I breathlessly reached Saeryo Row. The streetlamps were being lit and I dodge the few workers who were tending to their business. I reach my own home, red in the face and catching my breath.

 

I hugged my solemn father and kissed my very confused mother on the cheek as I ran up our small grand stairs, two steps at a time. Just as I requested before I left for work, there was a warm bath prepared for me.

 

The soft steam rising up from the water meant it was the perfect temperature now to soak in. I smiled at my servant, who had been tending to the water, thanking her as I crossed back into my room to find a bag full of leaves and soaps.

 

She gave me a certain look.

 

“Miss Kaira,” She lightly teased, “You don’t mean to bath yourself in tea water, do you?”

 

I let out a laugh nodded, “Well it does seem like that doesn’t it?”

 

She nodded as I thought about what she said. I handed her the bag and enclosed her fingers around it.

 

“Here,” I encouraged, “One day when Mother and Father are out, make yourself a bath and relax for a moment or two.”

 

She gave me a long, confused look and I winked at her.

 

“That’s an order!” I instructed. She walked out slowly from my bedroom, staring at her gift. The moment she closed the door, I disrobed. All the layers of clothes pooling at me feet as I walked over to my bath dipping the tips of my fingers to test the waters.

 

It was perfect. I took the buttery soap with me as I slowly dipped myself in the bath. Instantly my muscles relaxed. I nearly melted away if I had allowed myself to. Clutching the soap, I was reminded to begin washing myself thoroughly; the cracks between my toes, every grove of my ear, even the back of my knees had been showered with attention. It took another fifteen minutes before I gave into the sadness that the water was no longer warm. I stood up and grabbed my bathrobe, tying it around me. I took a hand towel to dry the smaller parts of me as I re-entered my room.

 

There was an ominous shadow of a plainly dressed man standing by my four-poster bed. I wondered why the candles had been put out in my room, when I made out the mischievous smirk of the Prince in the dimmest of lights from the cool light of the night coming through my windows.

 

I rushed to him, flinging my arms around his neck, “You are early!”

 

He let out a small chuckle before showering my face in kisses, I squirmed away playfully as I muffled my giggles.

 

It had been like this for the past week.

 

Prince Baekhyun had a terrible habit of sneaking away from his palace to visit me in the late night for an hour or so, whatever my brother allowed.

 

“I feigned sick today which wasn’t a particularly hard thing to do when The Duchess Binna had to ruin dinner by making the entire conversation about herself. I think she has a new aim on Chanyeol.” He his lips, wrapping his arms around my lower back. His hands suddenly felt the material and he cocked his head.

 

“What is this?” He asked playfully.

 

“It is a robe, Your Highness,” I teased, “Do they not wear these in the palace after a bath?”

 

Baekhyun placed a lingering kiss on my waiting lips, “Generally… we wear nothing at all.”

 

I felt a heat set fire to my skin and I pulled back to find a disappointed Baekhyun who was not close enough for another kiss. He frowned.

 

“Yes?” He sighed quietly.

 

“Is that how you speak to a soon-to-be-married lady?” I chided.

 

His scowl got deeper, “You know an invitation was found at the Palace and made for a topic during dinner… mind telling me what that was for? Is it part of your plan?”

 

“I would think that my brother had something to do with that.” I shrugged, thinking of how Jongdae was in charge of the entire nuptials.

 

“This Sunday,” Baekhyun pecked my lips, “At ten. Night time?”

 

I shrugged.

 

“With whom?” He raised a questioning brow, wondering if I knew who I was promised to. I let out a sight and shrugged again, “I don’t know. I’m not even sure if it’s something my brother is really planning on going through. He did ask for a huge order of Madam’s special tea. My guess is that He’ll place my mother and father under a slumber and convince them they slept through the ceremony.”

 

Baekhyun, pleased with this possible plan, placed his eager hands found at my hips and brought me in for the smallest of pecks. I was comforted in his gentleness as we sat on the foot of my bed and chatted in quiet whispers. It had been like this nearly every other day since Prince Junmyeon’s honoring.

Baekhyun would sneak in the dark and we’d have a bit of private time before he was escorted out of my room by the help brother. Baekhyun wore some of the most ordinary set of common clothes I’ve ever seen him in. I was sure that he might have taken them from a palace servant to blend in and sneak away unnoticed.

 

His usual neat hair knot was short and framing his eyes in the most distracting way.

 

“Kaira?” He said once more before letting out a laugh as if he already knew I had been staring at him like a piece of meat. I shook my head and frowned.

 

“What?”

 

He childishly huffed, “If you won’t tell me who you’re betrothed to, can’t you at least tell me what you mean to do with the information if you come across it?”

 

I let out a long sigh which bothered Prince Baekhyun.

 

“What use do I have courting Ara if it means to lose you to another in this plan of yours?” He pouted, “Promise me, you won’t fall into the arms of your betrothed on your wedding night.”

 

I blinked, feeling a gentle smile grow on my face, “I promise.”

 

“Even if he is handsome and charming,” Baekhyun frowned.

 

“He will be no prince,” I teased. Baekhyun let out a forced laugh before placing a small lingering kiss on my lips. I felt the corners of my mouth pull up as I smoothed down my bathrobe.

 

“Well you deserve nothing less than a prince on your wedding night,” He said more to himself than to me. I let out a questioning hum and he gave me a discerning look. Baekhyun repeated the wedding night and when I asked him what exactly happens on that night. He laughed at me and proceed to roll around the bed with me. It was fun. It was innocent, full of stifled laughs and lots of long kisses.

 

This time as we rolled around, Baekhyun suddenly stopped, hovering over me. Even in the dark, I could see the narrowing of his eyes as he mulled over something in his head. He gave me a long look before ducking his head down, restraining himself as he flopped over next to me and let out a long sigh.

 

He rubbed his face vigorously and commented on who would be the better option to have the pleasure to marry me, if it wasn’t him. He concluded there was no one really after he had a one-sided argument with himself.

 

“Believe me,” I assured, “I’m under the best impression that my brother has feigned a wedding to convince your parents I am no longer a threat. In addition, your trip to Silla will be a success in their eyes if I’m out of the picture.”

 

“How could I go through this trip?” He mumbled, “Could you not come along?”

 

“Your parents would suspect something.” I tapped his nose with my finger, “Especially because I should be starting my wedded life.”

 

“Could you not wear a disguise?” He pouted.

 

“I am not as good as you are with disguises,” I honestly complimented. My fingers reached out to weave though his loose hair, wondering when he cut his hair so short. All of royalty had grown their hair long.

 

Baekhyun his lips and sighed as if he had heard my thoughts.

 

“Junmyeon, Chanyeol, and I formally wear a wig,” He confessed, “Junmyeon convinced us that during his travels, it was easier to blend in with the High Society in Europe with short hair… plus he found out that he became unrecognizable with short hair so, he has used the disguise as a shield to sneak off.”

 

“That explains your presence in this humble home,” I nuzzled my head into my pillow.

 

“Couldn’t you borrow my wig?” He pouted and I let out a small laugh.

 

“If I could go,” I sighed wistfully, “I would! Unfortunately, this investigation needs to be discreet and there will be nothing discreet about my presence if I went.”

 

“You know we don’t have much time then.” He said, hearing the pout in his voice. I reached out to cup his cheek, gently smiling at him. My heart flared in the utmost adoration of him as he looked heavenly lying next to me.


“You’ll be a married woman soon. In five days?” He mumbled out placing a kiss on my palm before taking my hand and showering it with kisses as well. I responded with a stupid four days. His other hand found my waist and then there was a feeling of the tie of my robe loosening. 

 

I froze for a moment when I realized that his fingertips were now grazing skin that has never been touched. The side of my torso was getting wave after wave of delicious ripples of goosebumps feeling the tips of his fingers slowly drag down.

 

That was when a soft knock at my door caused both of us to quickly sit up straight. I retied my robe feeling a shade of crimson burn at my cheeks as my brother ceremoniously poked his head into my room to announced that it was time for Baekhyun’s leave.

 

He quickly jumped to his feet and gave me a quick peck on my forehead as he followed my brother out. I sat there breathless long after he had gone. The only remains of his were his scent on the pillow he laid his royal head on. I grasped on to that pillow and clutched it so close to my body.

 

There was something that had clicked inside me and although I couldn’t exactly figure out what it was, I knew it was something worth fighting for.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE HEADACHE I HAD TO GO THROUGH! >.<

If you were not aware, I had to deal with my old laptop crashing on my, causing me to lose all my school work as well as this chapter. Unfortunately for this story, I had to place school first and  had to scramble to redo some assignments (half-assed if you ask me) before I could re-write this chapter.

I recall the first version of this to be a lot steamier BUT I held back because... well, I believe a Prince like Baekhyun wouldn't dare to taint his love. 

Anyways thank you so much for being patient! I hope the update was to your liking!