006: Ice Cream Run

Her New Normal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Why are they making you come too?" Sol asked, sliding into the passenger's seat of Baekhyun's car. 

He gave her a weird look, "Because it's a family dinner? I am their son." 

Sol matched his look, "Please, we both know this will just be them explaining the divorce to me." It was obvious, she hadn't seen her dad since the day she got back, he was avoiding her because he didn't want to talk about it. Her mother was basically doing the same thing, but she couldn't completely ignore Sol since they shared the same kitchen. This dinner was so they could all move on. 

"Mom said I have to be there, they want me to back them up." Baekhyun admitted, barely needing any coaxing to spill. 

Sol rolled her eyes, "If they cared about my opinion they would have told me before the papers were signed. I'm an adult, and so are they, it's none of my business what they do."

"Sol, we're still their kids. They should have told you about it before, but they didn't and they want to make that right." The car went quiet, "You...you didn't see how unhappy they were, they fought all the time. They've wanted this for a while." 

She couldn't help but think of something she'd been told before. I wish they would just get a divorce and stop making it everyone's problem. She had a great childhood with parents who loved each other, sadly that didn't last forever...but it was nice while it had. She sighed, turning her attention out of the window while they headed towards some nice restaurant her dad had scored a reservation at. 

~~~~
~~~~

Her parents smiled at her and Baek as they walked in, they both sat next to each other, leaving the other side of the table empty for the siblings. "How was school?" Mr. Byun asked, folding his napkin back onto his lap after using it to wipe butter off the corner of his mouth. Baekhyun was already stuffing his face with bread, leaving Sol to answer the question. 

"Good, I have an interesting assignment due next week." She cleared . 

Her mom smiled, "That's exciting! College was such a fun time, wasn't it?" She directed the question to her...to Byun Jaeho. 

"Very, I threw some of the best parties my campus had ever seen." He said, his voice filled with nostalgia. For the first time, Jinsol felt pity towards her parents. How long had they been unhappy? They met back in college, that's why most of their stories were set during those four years. She wouldn't go as far as to say they peaked during those years, but it was clear they ached for them when things grew difficult. 

The conversation came to a halt as the waitress came around and took their orders. When she walked away, there was a different air around the table. Jinsol knew immediately that they were going to get the hard part out of the way before they ate. 

Her mother took a drink of her water, and then clasped her hands in her lap. "I'm sorry that we didn't tell you about our divorce before." Right to the point. She'd always said her mom was not one to babble on. 

"We're both sorry." Her dad threw in, clearing his throat uncomfortable. Baekhyun took a long sip from his water. 

Jinsol looked at her parents, and her reply came easily. "It's fine...Do I wish you would have just told me? Yes, of course I do, but I understand that it was hard on both of you." She was telling the truth, it did hurt that they thought she was so temperamental that she would throw some sort of tantrum or something. And it disappointed her that they lied to her and pretended everything was okay...and maybe she'd feel a bit of disdain for some unknown amount of time. But, at the end of the day it was fine. Because they would all be fine, and they'd all get through the changes together. Jinsol was done being angry with them.  

Baekhyun nodded along, "Agreed." 

Their parents both looked at them, and then at each other, and then a mutual understanding enveloped  all of them. They weren't all okay, right now, but they will be. They talked for a few more minutes, making sure everyone was on the same page, but eventually the conversation dissolved into old memories of times before anything had gotten so complicated. 

 

 

Sunday

Jinsol leaned back in her desk chair, a pen balanced between her upper lip and the bottom of her nose. She felt more relaxed than she had the whole time she's been home. Sure, she'd only managed to untangle one of the many strings that were amiss in her life--but that was a start. 
She sat up straighter, throwing the pen onto her desk. It was alread

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter