019: Off Limits

Her New Normal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There are certain hours of the night where you think to yourself, 'I must be the only one awake.'

Baekhyun had been thinking just that when he got up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, only, his theory was proven wrong almost as quickly as it had formed. Upon exiting the bathroom, he heard his sister's voice echoing down the hall. He walked towards it, planning to yell at her for being up so late when she had an early morning lecture the next day--or later that day, technically--but, just before he could open the door, another voice spoke up. 

"Good night, Sol." 

And there was no way he misheard. Byun Baekhyun knew the tone of his best friend's voice as well as he knew what the back of his own hand looked like. He turned around and went back to his room. A feeling of dread settling nicely into the pit of his stomach. 

~~~

Baekhyun has never considered himself the over protective type. He cared, checked in on Sol often, listened when she wanted to tell him about certain aspects of her life, and occasionally poked fun at those things--but he's never tried to dictate her life, or who she hung around. There was a time when he thought that maybe his sister had developed a bit of a crush on his best friend, he even wondered if those feelings were reciprocated. But then, Sol moved to California and it was like it never happened. Life moved on, Sol never asked about Sehun, and Sehun only spoke about Sol when Baekhyun brought her up first. 

Wasn't it a known rule that your best friend isn't allowed to date your sibling? 

He was almost positive that there's a handbook with that written in it somewhere. Maybe he was being over dramatic and just jumping to conclusions, yeah? He shouldn't put so much of his energy towards something that isn't even true; which is why he has to clear everything up. "Sol." Baekhyun greeted his sister as he walked into the kitchen that morning. 

Sol looked up from her smoothie, eyebrow already raised. She had a gift for picking up on the odd cadences in his voice. "Do you need something?" She asked, setting the drink aside and giving him her attention. 

"Yeah," Baekhyun started, walking over and standing on the opposite side of the island. "I was just wondering...who were you on the phone with last night? Is everything fine with Yubi?" He wasn't sure why he was giving her an out, he was practically inviting her to lie to him. Maybe he didn't think she would, or maybe he wanted her to. 

Sol picked back up her cup, "Oh, Yubi's fine. Her and Kyungsoo have been watching the Lord of The Rings movies, so she's been a bit busier than usual." She laughed it off, "Anyway, we should head out before we're late." She didn't wait for him to answer, she just left the room. Avoiding his question but doing so so casually it didn't even feel intentional at first. 

Baekhyun was met with a sinking feeling in his stomach.

Something was definitely going on, why else would Sol not want to tell him about the phone call? Really, he shouldn't care even if there is...but it worried him. 

~~~~

Baekhyun had decided he was on a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter