013: Words Hurt But They Also Heal

Her New Normal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sometimes, people are very good at hiding the things that make them who they are. Maybe they hide them because they find it hard to articulate their thoughts, and therefore find it impossible to explain the things that make them tick, that make them up. Sometimes it's just embarrassing...and sometimes they hide it because they're running from it.

Oh Sehun could claim all of the above, but he doesn't, because if he claims them, then become his issues; instead of just being his fears.

So his friends only know certain parts of his life. They know that he doesn't have a very good relationship with his father, and that by association he doesn't speak about his mother. They know his father is an ex-military man, and thus was in and out of Sehun's life during many parts of his childhood, up until his father had been in a car crash that left him with a knee injury that would never quite heal like it was supposed to, and as a result was honorably discharged a year ago, and now had some fancy job that had something to do with the military, but they never quite found out what. But, they didn't know that Sehun had to take a deep breath everytime he walked into his house. That he preferred when his father was out on business trips; that he wishes he was sent on them more often, even. 

Sehun inhaled. He exhaled. 

He opened the front door. An immediate gut punch. That's what it felt like when the door shut behind him and he heard raised voices from upstairs. It was already past eight at night, Sehun knew his dad was getting back from a trip today, so he chose to hang around the library until boredom no longer allowed it. He should have waited longer. 

"Do we have to have this conversation every time I get home!?" His dad, Oh Hyungyu, shouted. The sound of a fist against a wall, not hard enough to dent it or anything, but hard enough to make a noise that showed that he was the man in charge--because he wasn't scared of being loud. 

By the sound of his mothers voice, Sehun figured she'd already been crying. But, it wasn't the meek kind, no, it was the kind that just happened when someone was so furious they couldn't help it. "Yes! We have to have this conversation over and over because you can't just answer me the first time!? Who did you meet up with, Hyungyu?!" 

Sehun moved to the kitchen, taking a glass out of the cabinet. "It was a business trip, I was with my colleagues, you Psycho!" His dad was growing more and more irritated. "Do you think I was out with some other woman? Maybe one who could actually run a house properly!? Do you even know why your son isn't home!?" Sehun knew his dad didn't care where he was, it was just a cheap shot, so he took it. 

"At least I'm here for your son! Where have you been his whole life?" He couldn't help but notice that he was always referred to as 'your son', neither claiming him but both acknowledging that, yes, he did exist, and someone outta care about that fact.

Just not me.

But not me. 

"Some of us were out making a living!! Gosh, I- you just can't ever get it through your thick skull!" 

"Oh, yes, let's see how many ways you can insult me! Do you have any more for me Hyungyu?" The sound of their bedroom door opening made Sehun flinch. He was putting the pitcher of water back down as his father stomped down the stairs. His mother is close behind him.

His dad faltered slightly, and then Sehun could see the anger return to his eyes, probably a little more than there had been before. After all, Sehun was the product of the biggest mistake of his life. Does that make him the second biggest mistake? Or is he just off the charts horrible? "Look who decided to come home!" His dad did a slow clap. 

His mom groaned, "Leave him alone. It's not even late." She rolled her eyes. 

Hyungyu walked closer towards Sehun. "The time isn't what's important. When I was younger, I didn't get to run around doing whatever I liked, the second school let out I was heading home to help my father with work out in the yard, or help my mother clean the house. I didn't get to just run around all day," he laughed, "my dad would have had me out on the street if I was half as neglectful as he is." He pointed to Sehun. 

Sehun was going to open his mouth. There were definitely words he'd been wanting to say, but his mouth was so dry. He took a sip of water, but it was the wrong decision, because before he could even get any down his throat, his dad's hand was flying out and smacking the cup away from Sehun's lips. Water went everywhere, but it wasn't enough to wash away the scene. "Do you even hear me Oh Sehun!? Are you hard of hearing?" 

"No." Sehun forced out, wiping his face with the sleeve of his, now wet, jacket. 

"No you don't hear me!?" His dad asked, voice getting close to its peak volume. "I work so hard so you both can live this lavish lifestyle!! I put my life on the line for years, and what was my payment for it? A lazy wife that wishes I was dead and a disobedient son that can't even  reply when he's spoken to?" Hyungyu ran a hand down his face, "I need a drink." he muttered. 

"Because that always fixes the problem?" Mrs. Oh laughed. 

Sehun took it as his cue to leave the room, his footsteps being drowned out by the fresh set of yells. They didn't hear the front door shut. 

~~~~

Sol hummed along to the song playing through her earphones, a grocery bag slapping against her leg with every other step. She probably shouldn't have allowed herself to fall victim to her craving for instant noodles, but her mom was out at a business dinner, and Baekhyun was on a date, so she figured if she was going to any night, tonight should be the one. It was already nine-thirty, so she doubted she'd be able to finish the meal before one of them got home--not that it mattered, since she didn't really care if they judged her. The late night ramen reminded her of her dad, so she made a mental note to invite him out to lunch some time soon. 

It was weird to have to make plans with a parent, she was so used to their outings being spur of the m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter