008: Acts of Kindness

Her New Normal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yubi hummed to herself as she made her way towards the dining hall. She didn't like the feeling of her arms laying limp at her side, so she swung them with the enthusiasm of a three year old on their way to get a lollipop. She hated to stay still, whether that be mobility wise, or just as a way of saying she had an overactive mind. Yubi had a bad habit of making everyone's problems her own, because she liked having something to do. Something to occupy her, because really anytime she wasn't doing school or at work, she was biding her time until something fun popped up. She couldn't just relax. 

That's why she will be hosting Jinsol and Kyungsoo tonight. It was under the pretense of wanting to show off her little place, and catch up, but really everyone knew that her apartment was just going to be the background of a serious therapy session. Because conflict, above almost all else, was her least favorite thing. Jinsol always says that's a lie, because she claims Yubi loves drama. But, in her mind those two things aren't really one in the same. 

Conflict went a lot deeper than drama did. And right now the friendship that she cared so much for was in ruins, and she felt the need to save it. She wouldn't fall victim to being the friend stuck in the middle and casted aside the second a problem arose between the other two. She would make herself heard, she would plead her case, and then it would be out of her hands.  If this was the end of her, Kyungsoo, and Jinsol as a group...then she would make sure it went out with a bang.

Yubi didn't know about her two friends' conversation at the convenience store. 

"Hello~" She greeted in a sing-song voice, plopping herself down across from Kyungsoo. She didn't mind the odd looks from his friends, they should know who she is. 

Kyungsoo was clearly glad to see her, but that didn't stop the clouded look of confusion from gracing his face. "Hey, Bi." She liked the way the nickname sounded like it could be a double entendre, even though Kyungsoo probably never thought of what else 'B' could stand for.  He looked around, probably expecting to see Sol at any moment. 

Yubi scrunched her nose up, "I'm starting to feel like I'm not enough." She said, "I don't know where Sol is." 

Kyungsoo's eyes widened, "I didn't- You're plenty enough, Bi." He stopped his spluttering and put a hand in the air, urging her to say whatever it was she was here for. Yubi glanced at his friends, who were looking mighty enthralled in their own conversations. 

"We're meeting at my place at six o'clock, I'm picking up takeout, and we're watching a sad movie." Her eyes dared him to disagree. 

Kyungsoo wouldn't have dared either way. "Okay, I'll be there." His eyes smiled. 

Yubi gave a firm nod as she stood up, "Great, I'll see you later." 

"Later!" He hollered after her, because she was already walking away. 

Sol was already at a table with Jongin, "Oh, there you are," she said as Yubi took a seat, "I was just about to text you." 

"Yeah, I stopped to talk to Kyungsoo." Sol already knew they were meeting up tonight, but she didn't know that Yubi had already planned the whole night, and Yubi wasn't going to talk about it in front of Jongin. It was rude to speak of plans around someone who wasn't invited. 

Jongin sat up straighter, "Oh, Baek and Sehun are here." He nudged his head in their direction. During the first week of school, Sol and Yubi had been absorbed into Baekhyun's circle, but after that classes and clubs started picking up, and suddenly people were eating lunch elsewhere, studying in the library, or weren't even on campus at all. The only real consistent company they had was Jongin. 

Sometimes Yubi wondered who Sol considered the guest at the table; her or Jongin? She'd never ask that question though, she didn't want to come off as possessive. 

"Howdy," Baekhyun said in his best American accent as he took the seat beside Jongin, leaving the seats by Sol open. Sehun sat beside her stiffly, he was always stiff though. 

Sol rolled her eyes, "You do realize that the whole of North America doesn't have a southern accent, right?" 

Baekhyun just laughed. 

"Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but I have places to be," Yubi said with her dramatic flare as she stood up. Her classes were over for the day, and while she'd usually stay for lunch, she had a whole apartment to clean this afternoon. 

Sol must have figured as much, because she didn't press Yubi for some sort of reason why she was leaving. "Okay, I'll see you later." She said with her pinch-lipped smile. 

~~~~

 Lunch was always louder when you put Jongin and Baekhyun together; that wasn't a bad thing though. Especially because Sol's throat had been bugging her all day, but it didn't start actually hurting until she was getting ready to head over to Yubi's. Maybe that's why she went for a low effort look, opt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter