Chapter 3

Love You From A Distance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don't forget to leave a comment!

Two years later

Farewells, commonly, aren't easy. But theirs, well, their goodbye was the worst day Rosé ever had to live. Walking out that door and leaving Suzy behind was hard, very hard.

But that night, Rosé lost. She lost herself. And since then, life wasn't making any sense anymore. That night, she lost an opportunity of a lifetime when she didn't confess and let Suzy go back to France without putting up a fight as she should have done.

Even when she won, it felt like a loss. Like today. An hour ago, Rosé received the greatest news; her newly published book was one of the top-selling books.

She should be celebrating in grand style, after all. But instead she was sitting alone in a bar, staring at her glass of wine, feeling empty.

Suzy made sure to always call her or text her. But the calls and texts were becoming a rare occurrence lately. Suzy was studying to become an international lawyer while taking care of her sick father and she barely had time to talk to her.

Rosé was feeling extra sad today. All she wanted was a hug, but not any hug. She wanted Suzy's hug.

During the silent and agonizing ride back to her house, Rosé grabbed her phone willing to send Suzy a text. But an Instagram notification changed her plans. She opened the application only to see that Suzy had posted a photo a few hours earlier, with Lee Jieun, Suzy's childhood friend from France. 

No other text message arrived for weeks. Silence. Maddening silence. And with complete absence of news, the desolation inside Rosé's chest only grew bigger and bigger each day. That awful sensation of emptiness, of missing, didn't give her a rest.

Four years later

Suzy stared blankly at her computer screen and silently willed the machine to suffer a sudden and irreparable breakdown. It's been an exhausting morning and her eyelids were already droopping. Whoever said working as a hotshot lawyer was going to be easy was a liar. Still there are  certain perks of the job she enjoyed. Namely the view from her office window.

She rolled her chair back from her desk and moved to stand in front of the huge window which also serves as the back wall of her office.  The prestigious law firm, she started working at three days ago, was based on the 21st floor which means she has an outstanding view of the Han River. Sometimes she liked to just look out at the city and let her mind wonder. There was something oddly relaxing about watching the world rush past whilst she stood still. That could pretty much be a metaphor for her life.

Unfortunately there was to be no relaxing today as the phone on her desk rang yet again. The damn thing’s been ringing off the hook all morning. With a sigh she dashed over to answer it in her best telephone voice. 

'' LLC law firm, Bae Suzy speaking.''

'' Uh, Hello. Is Ms. Lee Hyeri here? I couldn't reach her and i have been waiting for an hour in front of her desk.''

Suzy frowned and looked up from her desk. Her friend's desk was located just across the hallway, there was no sign of Hyeri. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter