Chapter 8

Life is all about second chance

Yesung is in one-sided love. He is gay and he likes Kyuhyun for sure. But the memory of insults just for being gay from his high school never leaves him. So no matter how much he wants to say his identity to his friends and juniors, he simply can’t. Let alone confess to Kyuhyun. Hyukjae is his roommate and Kyuhyun is his best friend. He can’t risk his friendship with them. That day he announced having a girlfriend in panic though. Hyukjae’s statement that day made him all nervous. He can’t afford his well-secured secret to get into the light. Buy his announcement took out the liveliness of that evil maknae. Kyu’s life was all about gaming, studying, and taking care of Hyukjae along with making fun of him. That night in the hospital, a cute little senior caught his attention and made his heart flutter with a cute but strong attitude. Unfortunately, those giddy-up feelings were really short-lived. He couldn’t even get the chance to tell Yesung about his feelings. So he made himself busy to get rid of those stupid feelings. But his mind still remembers that cute handsome face, those thin lips, those small hands. First, love after all.

Hyukjae got back to Seoul after his three days in the orphanage. This voluntary tour just gave him another reason to be annoyed and confused, Siwon. That handsome president dared to kiss him in his sleep, well pretended to be sleep. Thanks to his composure, he didn’t give any reaction. He is going to meet Kyuhyun today. He needs to talk with the younger and make his mind clear. As usual, Kyu doesn’t pick up the phone. After several calls and texts, one little reply “I am busy”. Hyukjae is annoyed to the bone. He goes to the younger’s dormitory but can’t find him. He is frustrated and at the same time worried for kyu. Something is off but he doesn’t know. Now while thinking it, he has had no communication for the past few weeks with kyu. He doesn’t even know if the younger is ok physically or not. He curses himself in his head. How careless of a friend he is. He decides to go to his part-time job and come back later.

The café he works is around his campus. Entering for his shift, he finds Yesung there and goes straight to the older.

“Hyung”

“Oh! Hyukjae-ah, is it time for your shift?”

“Yes. Hyung, did you meet Kyuhyun for past days?”

“No, why?”

“Any text conversation?”

“Just a bit. He is always busy with exams and quizzes. “

“Did you see him in the library? “

“No actually. What happen, hyukjae-ah?”

“I couldn’t get in touch with him. I thought you guys texting. That’s why I asked. Never mind. I will go to his dorm later. I may stay there tonight, Hyung.”

“Ok, take care and let me know if everything is ok”. Yesung replied absentmindedly.

Yesung waved goodbye to Hyukjae and walked fast towards the campus. He directly went to the Economics department to find out about Kyu. He searches in the classroom and the library also but can’t find Kyu. He is afraid now. He doesn’t know why he is feeling so tense when he himself knows Kyu can’t like him. Kyu can’t be gay. He just wants to make sure his dongseng is ok, that’s it.

Hyukjae finishes his shift early and exits the café. Siwon is waiting for him in front of the café. Hyukjae is startled but successfully shows his cold face. Siwon comes to him smilingly with a packet in his hand.

“I brought dinner.”

“I already ate in the café”

“I brought it for myself actually” Siwon is smirking and embarrassed Hyukjae calming him down internally so that he doesn’t say swear words.

“I just want you to accompany me while I eat. I hate to eat alone”

“First, there are plenty of people who are dying to sit with you. And secondly, you know me for like some days, what did you do before that?” Hyukjae is annoyed with Siwon’s cheesiness.

“Ok, ok, you got me. Now let's eat together. I am hungry.”

“I told you I already had my dinner.”

“You skipped your lunch and the dinner you ate I am so sure it’s not enough. Please eat with me.”

“Are you stalking me? How did you know I didn’t eat my lunch?”

“No, but if you want, I can stalk your the whole day,” Siwon said with a huge grin.

“Look I have something to do now. And honestly, I hate people pestering me. You helped me and saved Kyu that day. I am grateful and I don’t want to hate you. So please stop whatever you are trying to do.”

Hyukjae leaves Siwon without another word. Siwon is at a loss for words. Maybe this is the first time someone said something like this to him. Instead of being sad, Siwon gets more determined. “Hyukjae, I will make you mine and give you all the reasons to forget the tears. I will make you smile always. I promise.”

Hyukjae knocks on the door of Kyu’s room. His roommate opens the door. Fortunately, Hyukjae finds Kyu there playing games in his computer.

“Yah! Cho Kyuhyun! What do you think of yourself?”

Hyukjae gets shocked by seeing Kyu’s face. It is pale as a dead man. Kyu lost so much weight, he was looking like a zombie. Hyukjae hurries near him

“Kyu-ah, what happened? Is there so much pressure in classes?”

“No. Why are you here?”

“I wanted to meet you and talk with you. “

“Why? I am really busy. Are you in trouble?”

Hyukjae is beyond surprised by this conversation. Kyu is always devilish but he doesn’t reply like this.

“Kyu ah, why are you talking like this? Tell me what happened?”

“I told you nothing. If you have nothing important, let me play. I am in the last level of this game”

“I will stay with you tonight. You finish the game.”

“No. I don’t like sharing my bed anymore. Go back to your dorm.”

“Kyu ah, I can sense something is wrong. What happened? Let's go outside tomorrow ok? We will have some drinks and talk”

“What to talk about? Are you having problems? Do you need any help? You need to talk whenever you are having problems. Tell me,I will try to help you like always.”

Hyukjae becomes a stone in his place. “What are you talking about Kyu?”

“Telling the truth. Get lost if you have nothing to say” Kyu storms to the washroom.

“Hyukjae hyung, Kyu hyung is not sleeping or eating well. There is something wrong. He is always fed up. I am afraid to talk with him too” Kyu’s roommate Henry said to Hyukjae.

Hyukjae doesn’t know what is going on. He just knows if he puts up with it, he is going to lose his only friend. In the meantime, Kyu gets into the bed for sleeping.

Hyukjae is hurt because his only friend doesn’t share his thoughts. He is angry because he is really a jerk not to pay attention to his best friend. He grabs Kyu up from the bed impulsively and drags him to the open space outside the dorm.  

“You ing tell me what's going on or I am gonna destroy your laptop”

“What do you want to know? That I am a gay ? or that I am stupidly in love with Yesung hyung?”

Kyu shouts angrily.

Hyukjae is speechless. And now what he is seeing takes him to the verge of blackout.

His roommate, Yesung, out of nowhere pounced on his best friend and now kissing him furiously in front of people as if the older's life depends on it.