Chapter 14

Life is all about second chance

Hyukjae is spacing out in front of his book in the library. It has been three years of his relationship with Siwon. It can’t be more beautiful. Siwon cares for him a lot without hurting his pride. In Hyuk’s eye, Siwon is perfect. Everything about Siwon is just so much perfect. Hyukjae is thankful and also so much in love. His family is rich but still, Siwon and Minho are so much considerate to people. After the proposal in the restaurant, Hyuk and Siwon got more comfortable with each other. Both knew though that was not exactly a marriage proposal considering they were students but the intentions were genuine, not impulsive. It did not take a long time for them to get physically intimate too. Hyukjae still remembers how Siwon treated him so gently and showered love with every touch on their first time. Hyukjae still blushes embarrassingly, after he enjoys their sessions shamelessly and Siwon just laughs at him adoringly. Siwon is now working in his family company under his brother and father. Immediate after graduation, Siwon took Hyuk to meet with his father over dinner which went very awkward. Siwon’s father was not that open-minded but Minho somehow tamed him for the sake of Siwon. And that night Siwon asked Hyuk to move in with him in his new apartment. Minho opposed a lot of Siwon’s moving out, he even requested brother-in-law Hyukjae to move into their family house. But it is not what Siwon wants. Also Hyuk obviously not that comfortable. He even needed 1 week to think about living in with Siwon. It was a huge decision for Hyukjae as he was still in 3rd Year and didn’t have a decent income. However, Siwon was so persistent that Hyuk gave in. Siwon wanted to take care of hyuk as much as possible. If money is the problem, Hyuk could pay him after he gets the job. Who could say no to this sweet gesture? At least not hyuk who got so much love from Siwon. Well, the unexpected part here was Kyuhyun’s protest. Kyuhyun was very much against letting Hyuk go. He didn’t exactly stop Hyuk but he did throw a lot of tantrums and threatened Siwon a lot. Guess what, right after Hyuk moved in with Siwon, Kyu and Yesung started their new life too just across Hyuk-Siwon’s apartment. Fortunately, Yesung got a job in a top-listed pharmaceutical company just after his internship ended because of his academic and professional performances. It has been 1 and half years and Hyuk-Kyu is going to graduate soon. Everything is good and perfect. But recently Hyuk is not feeling himself. Something is not right in this whole thing. Siwon doesn’t share his worries now and when he is stressed, Hyuk gets yelled at to the point that Hyuk flinches every time. Of course, gentleman Siwon apologies fast but it repeats again. One time Siwon even raised his hand to slap hyuk but somehow came back to his sense quickly and hugged hyuk muttering sorry repeatedly. Hyuk was not irritating him. At least Hyukjae thought so. He just wanted to know why Siwon was late and why he was that stressed? Siwon loves hyuk undoubtedly but nowadays Siwon maybe thinks Hyuk will not understand his life. Hyuk let it slide every time Siwon yelled at him. But three months ago, Siwon came home drunken. Hyuk didn’t know what happen and asked Siwon in a soothing way. In reply, Siwon slapped him and abused him ually. Hyuk was in pain but in his head, he kept telling him it was just Siwon was not on his mind. Siwon still loved him. Siwon found him in that miserable condition in the morning and cried so much while apologizing. Then Siwon took care of him and arranged a date with him. Everything was happy again. Hyuk knew Siwon’s love for him. But yesterday night, Siwon slapped him because he was late to return home which left a bruise on his lower lip. Hyuk sighs thinking about it now in the library. His exams are knocking at the door and as graduation final,it needs a lot of preparation. Siwon didn’t say anything before leaving for the office this morning. It was itching Hyuk’s mind. What he did wrong. He checks his phone and finds it is almost lunchtime. He hoped for a message from Siwon. But nothing. It was not like that. The number of texts got reduced gradually since they started living together. For Hyuk, it was fine as they were spending enough time with each other. But there were always 1 or 2 cheesy messages from Siwon which Hyuk doesn’t get anymore. Hyuk forgot when Siwon said “I love you” in a sober mood. Maybe Siwon is too busy and stressed. Maybe Hyuk really doesn’t understand Siwon’s works and worries. Yes, that’s right. Hyuk may have some lackings. Siwon is perfect. Siwon is everything he could ask for.

He closes his books and forwards  to his lab. He loves lab work. Studying and reading about new inventions, then designing his own projects to investigate medicine for people is just so much awesome. That’s why most of the time he is late to return. Research takes lots of dedication and time. For biological ones, it gets more difficult as results can be varied and can be complete waste sometimes. However, Hyuk enjoys these. He aims to be a researcher one day. Hyukjae smiles entering his lab. There is Hyuk’s professor Kim Heechul working on something. Heechul is a perfect example of a mood swing. Though he is a professor, he is friendly with his research student. But sometimes he gets so scary that no one can approach him. However, he is good at his work and has great achievements in the field of pharmacy in the whole country. Sensing the presence of another person, Heechul looks up from his work.

“Good noon, Mr. Kim”

“Ah, Hyukjae. Good noon. How are you? What are you doing here at lunchtime?”

“I was hoping to do some study for my thesis.”

“To do a good analysis, you need to feed yourself to get the energy to the brain.”

“Yes, Mr. Kim. But I had a heavy breakfast so I have no appetite now.” Hyuk lies. He is not in the mood of eating anything. Kyuhyun already scolded him for not going to the canteen with him.

“Oh ok. What happened to your lips? Rough night with lover” Heechul smirks.

“no-no, I just slipped in the bathroom last night” Hyuk lies again but also blushes hearing his teacher saying so an embarrassing thing. Deep down in his heart, it hurt though.

“ok. Be careful. How a big boy slips like that?” Heechul says ruffling hyuk’s hair lovingly. Though Heechul senses something is not right, it is still not his place to ask. “Go to your desk and do your things. I will be in my office.”

Hyuk nods and approaches his desk.

“Oh Hyuk, there will be a one-month internship in Japan which can be very helpful for students who want to do research work. I already recommended you so if you are willing, make sure to go academic office to fill up the formalities.” With that, Heechul left.

Hyukjae is surprised and dumbfounded. It takes him a minute to understand what Heechul just said. When he realizes this achievement, he gets beyond happy. The university every year recommends only one outstanding student and this year it’s him. Happy Hyuk runs to the academic office. Of course, he will go. It is a kind of achievement everybody wants and it is the first step to his dream. When he finishes everything, it was almost dinner time. He calls Kyu to meet for dinner and texts Siwon. He informs kyu about the internship and Kyu is as happy as him. They enjoy their dinner outside the campus. As Hyuk gets money from the lab, he no longer works in the coffee shop. Also, Siwon doesn’t like him to work. Kyu and Hyuk finish dinner and Hyuk heads to the lab. Checking his phone, Hyuk sighs. What happen to Siwon? Is he that busy to look at his phone? Is Siwon still angry? Remembering last night, Hyuk decides to go back home early today. As Kyu picks up Yesung before going home, Hyuk goes back home alone. Hyuk buys some groceries planning to cook something and a cheesecake for Siwon. They used to eat dinner together. Siwon and Hyuk learned cooking together by failing multiple times on their own. But as Siwon is busy and Hyuk is also focusing on his thesis, it is hard to have a meal together. Siwon is busy at weekends too. So even though hyuk misses their time together, he tells himself that it doesn’t matter because Siwon loves him enough. Hyuk sorts out groceries and puts the cheesecake on the kitchen counter. He smiles thinking about Siwon’s happy face over cheesecake and how ily Siwon eats it. He texts Siwon asking when he will be back and putting his phone to charge. After washing up, he changes into his pajama and comes back to his bedroom. Still no texts from Siwon. It is almost 8 PM. Siwon always comes back at 7 PM. So Hyuk calls him but nobody picks up. He decides to wait. However, even after 10, there is no sign of Siwon. He worriedly calls Minho.

“Hello, hyuk-ah, how are you? “

“I am fine, Hyung, thanks, what about you?

“I am great and getting handsome day by day.”

Hyuk chuckles and then asks nervously

“Hyung, do you know where is Siwon?”

“oh! Siwon is in Jeju. He didn’t tell you?”

“I was busy with my exam Hyung” Hyuk lies while holding his tears

“It was sudden. At the noon, we receive news from our business partner regarding some issues in Jeju. Siwon was in charge of that project, so he heads right away with his secretary.”

“I see. He is ok, right? Everything is ok, right?”

“Yes, everything is fine, Hyuk, No worries. Siwon will call you when he is free. You get some sleep, ok?” Minho assures hyuk though he senses something is wrong. Why Hyuk doesn’t know. Is Siwon forget to inform him? How can be? He went back to home to take his clothes as he might need to stay in Jeju.

“Ok Hyung, good night.”

“Good night, hyuk, take care”

Hyuk’s eyes tear up. But his heart saying things to him. No Hyukjae. It's ok. He just forgot due to work pressure. Siwon loves you. Siwon is perfect. Nobody can love you as Siwon does. Siwon is everything you could ask for.