Chapter 12

Life is all about second chance

Last few months everything around Hyukjae seemed to change tremendously. He got unexpected caring from Siwon. An early breakfast, snacks, lunch on time, dinner on time. His work and study were also going smoothly. Kyuhyun got bratty again. Hyukjae was reacting more than before. Everything was going too well. But still, there is one thing bothering Hyukjae. Why did a kind and rich person like Siwon choose him? Is this really love or just out of pity. Hyukjae wanted to ask Siwon directly. He shared his thought with Kyuhyun and Yesung only to receive a head smack from Kyu and a disappointing sigh from Yesung. They told him to enjoy the moment for now. They were boyfriends but still, they were just getting to know each other. Why you must be all serious? Siwon is a very good boyfriend indeed. Confusion lingers in Hyukjae’s mind.

It’s lunchtime. Hyukjae unconsciously waits for Siwon. It became a habit now to go for lunch with Siwon at 12.00 PM. But today it’s 12.30 already, but Siwon still didn’t come. No message either. Hyukjae doesn’t know if it is ok to text him now as the latter can be busy. Siwon is very responsible, he might not be late if it was not for an unavoidable reason. After waiting for 15 more mins, Hyukjae decided to leave. He goes to the nearby shop to buy him something when he notices Siwon with a girl inside the cafeteria. The girl is all over Siwon and Siwon can’t stop grinning at her. Hyukjae shouldn’t feel bad, but he is definitely feeling sad. He doesn’t know how to describe that feeling. Of course, Siwon and that girl exert the perfect couple vibe. But he is not jealous. His feeling is contradictory. Should he be jealous? Should he be sad? Should he be angry? At least Siwon could have texted him, right? Hyukjae feels sick and heads straight to the dormitory room. He switches off his phone and takes out the photo of his grandmother. He misses her so much. He misses her mom too. He can’t express his true feelings anymore to anyone. Kyu is there, Yesung is there and Siwon promises to be there. But he is still all along. Why he can’t open up? He was trying with Siwon. Trying to forget his misery and be happy. Siwon promised to be with him forever. But what is going on now? Is he overthinking? Is he insecure? Damn, he can’t even be honest with himself either. Wondering over his feelings, Hyukjae doesn’t know when he falls asleep.

“Hyukjae Hyung?” Kyuhyun's gentle voice comes to Hyukjae’s ear

“Hyung, are you ok?”

Hyukjae groans in reply. He feels like his whole body is aching but his mind is still in turmoil.

“Hyung, wake up. Please don’t cry”

Was he crying in his sleep? He must be, that’s why his head is hurting so much.

“Hyung, wake up. Let’s go to the university hospital. I think you are having a fever. Your skin is burning. “

All he could reply is a sob and a pathetic question

“Kyu, are you doing this because you pity me?”

Kyuhyun is genuinely surprised by that sudden question but soon he understands it is something to do with Siwon. Kyuhyun calls Yesung to bunk his class stating Hyukjae’s condition. Yesung reaches in dormitory within 10 mins. Then they both carry Hyukjae to the hospital. Kyuhyun calls Siwon but every time operator replies it is unreachable. Kyuhyun is feeling angry with Siwon and with himself too. Yesung is having a hard time keeping pace with Hyukjae’s doctor and calming down his boyfriend. He doesn’t know why Kyuhyun is acting like this. But he wants to get Hyukjae treated first. The doctor gives a suppository and after 1 hour, Hyukjae’s fever seems to come down. They take Hyukjae back with all the needed medication and Kyuhyun buys some porridge in the way too. After feeding him, they put Hyukjae to sleep. Kyuhyun is ready to leave but his boyfriend stops him.

“Care to tell me what’s going on?”

Siwon hurts Hyukjae hyung”

“What? How do you know? What happened exactly”

“Hyung asked me if I am doing this for him out of pity. I am not yesung hyung. Hyukjae hyung is my brother. He is my only best friend to last forever. He doesn’t know it, but he is among the few people in my life I care about. How could he ask this to me? Hell, it hurts more when I knew the question was not for me. I took him to Siwon's house that day. I wanted him to be happy. I messed up. I messed up so bad and Hyukjae Hyung ends up in this state.”

Venting all anger, Kyuhyun bursts into tears hugging Yesung tightly. Yesung his hair gently. After Kyuhyun calms down, Yesung asks him to call Siwon. But it was still unreachable. Yesung forces Kyuhyun to sleep and he gets out of the dormitory. Honestly, Yesung doesn’t know what has happened. But he definitely ready to give Siwon a piece of mind. He heads to the union office and finds Siwon talking with students. He directly goes to Siwon and punches on his face.

“Where is your phone er? What did you do to Hyukjae?”

Flabbergasted Siwon could only see death in Yesung’s eyes. Yesung once again grabs his collar

“Answer me or else I will beat you to death. You made Hyukjae and Kyu cry. Give me an answer and it’s better to be a reasonable answer”

“Hyung, my phone dropped down from my hand during a class presentation and it’s broken. But tell me what happened to Hyukjae? I didn’t do anything,I swear. I will never make him cry.”

“But apparently you did or at least I think so. When did you last meet Hyuk?”

“On breakfast. Then I broke my phone and I had a series of works. So I left a note in his book in the library as he was in the class.”

“Then Hyukjae is this sick ?”

Siwon doesn’t know what to say. He looks at Yesung with pleading eyes only to mumble “Please take me to him”.

Hyukjae shivers in his sleep. His fever is coming back and he feels thirsty. He opens his eyes with difficulty and finds Siwon just beside him. Hyukjae blinks in confusion and touches Siwon’s cheeks. Siwon frowns a little and opens his eyes. Hyukjae thinks it to be a dream.

“Hyukjae, you are awake. Are you ok? Do you need anything? Are you feeling pain?”

Hyukjae whispers, “water”

Siwon gets up and helps him to sit up so that he doesn’t choke up on his water. After Siwon places back the glass on the table, he looks at Hyukjae. Without saying anything he helps him to lay down and places a pack on the forehead. Hyukjae’s eyes well up and Siwon panics.

“I am so ed up. I dream about you, I even like your cares and gestures. While you, in reality, are just pitying me. You are too good for me. You seem perfect beside the girl in the cafeteria. I saw you two together at lunch. You guys are so beautiful with each other.”

“Shhh, don’t cry and don’t talk. my little squirrel”

“Be in my dream Siwon. Don’t pity me here.”

Siwon kisses him again. This time on lips. Hyukjae couldn’t respond properly as he is drifting back and forth in sleep.

Seeing his sleepy face, Siwon sighs. That girl was Minyeon. She is crushing over Minho while Minho never pays attention. Due to voluntary clubs, they became friends and Siwon adores her as elder sister. He looks back to Hyukjae.

“Believe it or not, I love you with all my heart, Hyukjae. “

His confession is heard by the other couple in the room but not by the one, who really matters.