Chapter 7

Life is all about second chance

After dinner, Hyukjae is walking outside the orphanage. He is watching the crystal sky with the radiant moon and numerous sparkling stars. He sits on the bench just opposite the main building and is looking at the stars. His mind is going through the events of the whole day. He met a lot of kids, taught them some English words. Though he was not a very friendly person, he tried to play with the kids along with Siwon. His mind flashes back to a particular moment. He and Siwon were sitting with the kids and playing with the dolls and cars they brought for them. Suddenly a cute girl came to him and touched his cheek with her small hands.

“You are so beautiful”

“Thank you. You are very beautiful too.”

“Why don’t you smile?”

He gave her a small smile. The girl jumped over his lap. Hyukjae reflexively caught her. The girl named Minnie started showing him her doll.

“You see, this is me. This is my friend Billy the unicorn. This is our mother.”

“Oh, it's your mother? “

“No, she is our mother. We all call her mother.”

Hyukjae understood Minnie was talking about the lady of the orphanage. His mind went back to his own misfortune. No matter how hard he tried, the wound would always be there. His eyes were tearful still he was strong enough to block them not to roll down. These cute kids around him, all were like him with no parents. Whatever the reasons, they had no parents. They were each other’s siblings and friends. He was all alone.

“Uncle Hyukjae”

Snapping back to reality, Hyukjae looked back to Minnie

“Let's go to eat some chocolate. Those uncles are giving chocolates”

 

Sitting alone on that bench is making Hyukjae realize once again he has no family member of his own. The tears he was holding up the whole day, suddenly crashed the barricade. He is crying his heart out keeping his voice low as per as he can. He didn’t know he had that much tear left still. After some mins, he feels two arms around him. With blurry eyes, he can see the handsome face of Siwon. No words need to be spoken. Hyukjae clenches his fists holding Siwon’s shirt and he starts pouring his tears making Siwon’s shirt wet. He definitely needs that comfort right now.

 After half an hour, Hyukjae calms down while Siwon still holding him. Hyukjae slowly detaches himself from the handsome boy.

“Sorry, I made your shirt wet. It will get stain”

“Don’t worry” is the answer followed by the chuckling.

“Why you are here?”

“I wanted to see you little squirrel”

Hyukjae doesn’t reply. Instead, he is starring at the sky. He is feeling somehow light than other days.

“Are you this much silent from birth or just uncomfortable around people?”

“And what’s the reason for your curiosity? “

“maybe to know about the goofiest person of this world”

“Siwon, do you think some of these kids’ real parents are watching them from the sky?”

“Yes. Definitely. They are feeling happy seeing their kids doing well till now. Playing, laughing, getting educations.”

“Why do they have to leave like that?”

Siwon glances at the face of the beautiful person beside him. He sighs.

“Some parents can’t be with their child because they became stars. And some people can’t be with their kids even though they are alive”

Hyukjae noticed a glint of sorrow and disgust in the voice of Siwon. He dares to ask.

“Why they can’t be with their kids?”

“Well, I don’t exactly know. I think whatever the reasons, it might be just excused”

“Maybe not. Maybe they really have no choice”. He remembers how his family conditions forced him to live with his grandmother. Though it was blissful, he missed his mother a lot that time.

“Hyukjae”

“hmmm?”

“Is it awkward to say I love being around you?”

Hyukjae gets startled.

“Where is this coming from suddenly?”

“I want to be close with you if you permit”

“I think there are plenty of people around you for that. I don’t like people in my life. I prefer to be alone without friends”

“And why so?”

“Just because I feel like it”

Hyukjae stands up and starts walking toward the building. Siwon grabs his hand out of nowhere and says,

“I want to be with you. I will try everything possible not to get into your life, but to permit me to be a part of your life. “

Siwon releases his hand and he walks back to the orphanage building. His mind is in turmoil. He gets into the bed and tries to sleep so that he can forget all these like a bad dream. After Kyu, Siwon is the one who gives him the good feeling of a friend, sometimes more than a friend. But Hyukjae is afraid of losing his loved ones. He is never gonna let Siwon into his life. He misses Kyu right now. He will spend more time with the younger one after he goes back to Seoul. He wonders why Kyu suddenly has so many exams.

What Hyukjae doesn’t know is Kyu is fighting with his mind over his roommate. The roommate declared that he has a girlfriend. If only Hyukjae visited Kyu’s room, he could find out how that one declaration broke handsome, strong, evil kyu in pieces. After all, Yesung was his first love.