Chapter 16

Life is all about second chance

Hyukjae is looking at the floating white clouds through his plane window. Everything is so serene and hopeful. But he knows better nothing is ok. Heechul is reading a book beside him. They are going to Japan to attend the training course. That day when hyukjae woke up thinking maybe everything was a bad dream, seeing Heechul and Kyuhyun's faces told him it was the reality. They didn’t ask hyukjae a single thing though their eyes were full of questions, instead, they offered their warmth. Hyukjae realized no matter what happens in the future, no matter whether it was a misunderstanding or not, nothing gonna fall in place with Siwon again. A separation was maybe long overdue. So, when he calmed down, he asked Kyuhyun to help him move out before Siwon returned.

“I need to move out, Kyu. And it must be before Siwon is back”

“Ok, we can do that. We can move into my apartment”

“No, no. Kyu, I have to be far from Siwon. I need to be myself if I want to be alive. I really don’t want to kill myself”

“Ok, then we can go to our parent’s house.”

“No, Siwon knows that place too.”

“Hyung, Siwon knows every place. Your home, your schools, your lab, your working café.” – Kyuhyun was sad and angry because his genius brain was not thinking of anything to help his friend.

Heechul interfered –“ You can live here. Your exams are near. You can study here instead of lab and library during exam time and I can also help you with your studies. “

If it was sober time, Kyuhyun would have questioned Heechul’s intention, though Hyukjae was always full of praise words for his professor. Now Kyu could feel the parental fondness for Heechul and he decided it may be the best for Hyukjae. But it was up to his friend and whatever Hyukjae wanted at that moment Kyuhyun was ready to follow that.

“Is it ok, Mr. Kim? I will pay you rent .” -Hyukjae uttered.

Kyu and Heechul both sighed in relief and Heechul was happy.

“Don’t worry about it. You can just stay here as long as you want. I will love to discuss with my favorite student about our research plans”

After that, Hyukjae and Kyuhyun headed to their apartment complex. They first got into Hyuk and Siwon’s apartment. Most of Hyukjae’s books were in the library and notes were in the lab. So all he needed were to grab most of his clothes, laptops, and his family’s little belongings with the photos. When Hyukjae got his phone, he saw 157 missed calls and 30 text and voice messages. 10 missed calls were from Kyu and others were from Siwon. He was looking at the phone with teary eyes. Kyu entered and said:

“Siwon Hyung also called me several times and I told him I didn’t know where were you.”

“Did you snap at him?”

“No, I didn’t. I was in a panic because I really couldn’t find you”.

“Kyu, help me to print something.”

They printed the picture of Siwon cheating and seeing it for the first time, Kyuhyun was boiling with anger. But Hyukjae was not. He was calm. Very calm actually. He put the photo and their promise ring on the bedside table.

“Hyung, you take the last glance if you are forgetting something here, I will grab some clothes from my apartment”

“Kyu, you are not staying with me. Please”

“Yes, I am. Otherwise, I will be too restless and get sick. Please Hyung, don’t do this to me. For only one week. I promise not a day more. Please.”

Hyukjae nodded. He needed Kyuhyun now, so he decided to be selfish.

Kyuhyun ran over to his apartment and found Yesung was waiting for him.

“What happened Kyu?, where were you? Why you were not receiving my phone?”  

“I was not paying attention. I texted you that I was with Hyukjae”

“So, what’s the problem with Siwon and Hyukjae?”

“Trust me, you don’t want to know”

“I WANT TO KNOW”

“I also don't know the details. So, wait till Hyukjae Hyung opens up.”

Kyuhyun entered their bedroom and grabbed his bag.

“Where is he now?”

“Right now, he is in the apartment. Hyukjae Hyung is moving out and I will accompany him for somedays.”

“Ok, but don’t you think it is better for them to talk?”

“If Hyukjae Hyung wants sometimes by himself, so be it.”

“I don’t think it is ok, they should talk and clear their misunderstanding.”

“I am not entirely sure if it is a misunderstanding.”

“If you say so. Let’s have dinner. Call Hyukjae here and have dinner together. Then you can leave and I will be at ease.” Yesung put a kiss on Kyu’s cheek.

“But Hyukjae Hyung wants to be gone before Siwon Hyung is back”

“I already have the side dishes, so it will take at best 1 hr to cook rice and finish our dinner. Please. Let's do this.” Yesung hugged Kyu.

Sighing in defeat, he went to Hyukjae who was crying in their apartment. The memories were overwhelming for Hyukjae. Kyu gave him some time to recollect and told him about Yesung's offer. Hyukjae had no appetite and he was not in the mood to eat or talk. Kyu forced him to eat as it was Yesung's request. Hyukjae walked over with his luggage to Kyu’s apartment closing the door of a home filled with his memories of Siwon. Kyu quickly shot a text to Heechul and Heechul said he would be there to pick them up after 1 hour. So Kyu texted their address, along with their apartment number.

“Hyukjae, did you think it thoroughly? It is not ok to leave without a conversation. You were with him for 4 years. A conversation is due I think”- Yesung asked Hyukjae at the dinner table.

“Hyung, I am not in the state of talking with anybody. I came for dinner because Kyu wanted me to. Please don’t say anything about Siwon, Hyung. At least not you, please”

“Aren’t you being selfish Hyukjae? You are taking Kyu with you and making him worried for you . Don’t you think you are interfering in our relationship too? At least tell me the exact reason, why are you doing this?”

Kyu was surprised to hear Yesung- “What are you talking about ?”

“You know exactly what I meant. It is so childish to leave like this instead of talking. If Siwon did mistakes, he must have some explanations. Why Hyukjae is not giving him a chance when Siwon was always nothing but only considerate.”

Kyu shouted “Enough is enough Hyung. We don’t know anything and with the little thing I came to know today, I am trusting Hyukjae Hyung with this. I know him for my whole life and I know the story is long enough to take this drastic decision.”

“You are childish enough to support your over-dramatic friend here.”

Kyu was shocked and also hurt.

“Don’t fight over me Kyu. Yesung hyung, you are right. Kyu will be staying with you. I will go alone.”

“No way Hyung. I am going with you no matter what.”

“No Kyu. You are not. Stiring up trouble in your relationship, that’s the last thing I want.”

Kyu was speechless for a moment seeing Hyukjae getting up and heading to the door. “When did you become so toxic and inconsiderate, Yesung Hyung.”- Kyu whispered in disbelief.

“I just don’t want you to be misguided”. This reply from Yesung made Kyuhyun more bitter.

Kyuhyun was thinking as he watched Hyukjae approaching the door. His thought was interrupted by the doorbell. Hyukjae opened the door and faced Siwon. Everybody in the room became rocks for a few seconds. Siwon hugged Hyukjae.

“Thank God. I thought I lost you. When Yesung Hyung texted saying you are leaving, I was so afraid. I rushed as soon as I can. I love you Hyuk, I love you so so much” Siwon was rumbling with tears.

Kyuhyun looked at Yesung feeling all disgusted while Yesung whispered-“I did what is best for all of us.”

“No Hyung, you made everything worse. It is gonna cost you our relationship Hyung,”

Kyu headed to the bedroom deciding he would move out. No matter what, he was not going to tolerate this type of betrayal.