Chapter 1

Life is all about second chance

Hyukjae was sitting on the staircase that leads to the rooftop. He was feeling numb. Yesterday was his beloved grandmother’s funeral. His grandmother was always close to his heart since childhood. His parents barely earn enough for their food, so he was always with his grandma in Seoul. He has an elder sister, Sora, who lives with their parents in Daegu. His grandma was suffering from colon cancer for a long time. They had to struggle a lot with the money to keep up with treatment. Even selling the only house they had couldn’t keep his grandma with him. The constant suffering of his precious grandma made hyukjae determined to get into a medical school. But with all the unfortunate events, he couldn’t get a chance in medical school. He has to wait one year and try again for it. He was so devasted because of all these misfortunes, he still can’t think what to feel.  

He heard Sora calling his name from the door that connected the house and the roof. He didn’t want to move. He wanted to sit there for some more time. He knew his parents may be worried for him. He knew there will be lots of problems now, especially economic. He knew if he goes downstairs now there will be a lot of unwanted discussions too. He doesn’t want to face anything or anybody right now.

He felt Sora’s hand on his shoulder.

“Hyuk, I brought some fruits for you. I want you to eat these.”

“I am not hungry. Did you eat?”

“No, I didn’t have time. I needed to take care of Mom. She is devasted.”

“What about Mom and Dad? Did they eat?”

“Yeah, after uncle and auntie left, I made sure they have eaten”

Hyuk took the bowl of fruits from Sora and look at her. Sora understood. Then the sibling shared the fruits silently. They sit there quietly till the sun goes down. Hyuk stood up after the last ray of sun vanished.

“Let’s go, Sora. I need to listen to what Mom and Dad say.”

Sora stood up and slowly followed Hyukjae. Hyuk’s parent was in the living room. His mom was really in a bad condition. Losing her mother must be a great shock. Hyukjae understands. He can feel the sorrow, maybe more than his mom.

“Hyuk, son, come sit here.” His dad said when he saw him.

Hyuk sat on the floor near the couch his father was sitting right now.

“I am sorry son. I can’t support your expenses. I don’t earn much and I still need to take care of your mom and sister. I am not abandoning you. Its just I am a helpless father.” His voice cracked.

Hyukjae got close to him immediately and took his father’s hand.

“No, dad. I don’t blame you. Grandma took good care of me. I can take care of myself.”

“But you sold the only house for grandma, you don’t have any places to stay now. This house has to be empty by the day after tomorrow. You couldn’t get into medical school either. What are you planning to do?”

“I will figure this out. Dad, Mom please don’t worry. I will find a solution.”

Hyuk’s Mom looked at her in tearful eyes. Sora was also crying. Hyukjae went to his mom and hugged her tight as if giving assurance.

Hyukjae’s dad stood up and said “then we will leave now, I have some works to do there so that I could get some money.”

“Can’t you leave tomorrow morning? “

“No hyuk. I have to join my work early morning”

“Ok, please take care of yourself and mom”

His father didn’t say anything, just turned around and went out. Hyuk could see the tears in his eyes threatening to fall. He hugged his mother and sister tightly telling them to be healthy. Once he closed the door, he broke down. He sat right there leaning on the door and stared in the blank. A sudden doorbell threw him into consciousness. Opening the door, he found his only best friend, Kyuhyun, standing there. He didn’t say anything. Get into the house and hugged hyukjae. That hug was what he needed right now. Hyukjae burst into tears. He cried till there were no more tears and eventually dozed off. Kyuhyun didn’t let him go. Hugged him carefully in his arms so that hyukjae doesn’t feel lonely. A sudden ring in hyukjae’s phone startled both of them. Hyukjae wiped his dried tears.

“Hello”

“Hello, Mr. Lee Hyukjae?”

“yes, who is this?”

“I am calling from XXX hospital. Do you know Lee Kangheon, Lee Deokboon, and Lee Sora?”

Hyukjae felt a rush of fear through his spine.

“Yes. They are my parents and sister”

“I am sorry. We lost them in a road accident.”