Chapter 11

Life is all about second chance

Hyukjae is feeling so empty. That day when he came back from his duty in the café, Yesung informed him about Siwon being admitted to hospital. Apparently, Siwon was suffering from dehydration and anemia. That was not what made Hyukjae lose himself. The fact that Siwon’s brother asked everyone about Hyukjae referring to Siwon’s fondness for him makes Hykjae feel worse. He wants to go to see Siwon. But he is afraid. Afraid of having another loved one. Afraid of losing him. Afraid of facing real life. He caged himself in his own world without anyone in it. Still, Kyuhyun and Yesung entered it and Hyukjae still feels afraid. He doesn’t want to love anyone. And if he is honest, the way Siwon approaches, he can't take him as some casual friend. Well, at least he feels something different, something warm around Siwon. That’s the exact thing he is more afraid of.

“Thinking of killing someone?”

“Ah- Kyu, what are you? Stop being so spooky. Why are you whispering behind me?”

“I was not whispering. I was calling you for 10 mins now but you are spacing out. What happen?”

“Nothing. What are you doing in our dorm? Yesung hyung is not here. He has an exam tomorrow, so he is studying with his friends.”

“I came for you”

“Ah--- when did you start coming for me?”

“What? I am just being a sincere friend. Now shut this talk. Tell me what happen?”

“I already said nothing”

“Are you thinking about Siwon Hyung?”

“What!!! No!!!”

“No need to deny. I heard from Yesung Hyung he was trying to court you but you rejected. Now he is sick. Are you feeling bad? Don’t if you really dislike him”

“I don’t dislike him”

“You don’t like him either, right?”

Hyukjae gets silent. Does he really like him? Does he want to be his friend? Or boyfriend?

“Hyuk, let me tell you something. We can’t avoid our fate. But we can make it better. For that, you have to give your fate a chance to shine.”

“What is life, Kyu?”

“Life is a video game. You start from point zero, fight against the bad things, earn rewards and pass the levels. Sometimes wrong moves make you dead. When you reach the highest level, the game automatically comes to an end. But if you can’t fight against bad circumstances, the game is over before it truly ends.”

Hyuk is thinking very hard. Is this worth being with Siwon? Is his fear valid to shut down every door of his life from the outside world, from happiness?

“After you finish thinking, let's drink some beer”

“I don’t drink you know”

“One beer doesn’t count as a drink. It is like water. Finish your thinking. I will wait.”

Hyukjae stares at kyu with emotionless face. But his eyes turn into a reel of his mind which only Kyu can see and feel.

“If you want to cry, then cry. If you want to vent, do that. If you want to laugh, no one will stop you. It depends on you what you want to do.”

“So much wise words from this evil!” Hyukjae chuckles.

“Cho Kyuhyun is the best in everything, you know. Now have a beer with me or want to go somewhere?”

“Where?”

“Let’s go. Not very far. By bus,10 mins and by foot 25 mins. Lovely place with Han river view.”

“Are you planning to murder me and throw my body in the Han river?”

“You will not complain even if I do” Kyu laughs out evilly.

Hyukjae joins him and shrugs. He feels light now. He seems to make a decision finally. So he heads out with Kyu and takes the bus. The bus stops after 13 mins ride and Hyukjae finds themselves in the middle of an aristocratic area. He is now nagging Kyu about where they are going, but Kyu takes an oath of silence. However, they reach in front of a big house and ring the bell. The gatekeeper asks something to Kyu and after a while let them in. Hyukjae is still clueless and wondering where they are. They enter a well-decorated living room. A handsome young man welcomes them.

“Ah Hello Kyuhyun. Thanks for coming. Yesung doesn’t come? I didn't see you after that day in hospital. Thanks for caring my brother. Who is this with you?”

“Hello Minho-shi. Yesung hyung is busy. It is Hyukjae. We came to visit Siwon”

Hyukjae is literally having shortness of breath. He can’t believe Kyu brought him to Siwon’s house. Well, Kyu knows him too well that he needs to talk with Siwon but still it is so random for his heart. What will he say to Siwon? What will he do now?

“So you are Hyukjae.”

“Yes. Hello.” Hyukjae becomes self-conscious feeling the eyes of that Minho all over him,

“Hyuk-ah , this is minho-shi. Siwon Hyung's older brother.”

“Oh! nice to meet you, Minho-shi”

“Well, I was not very pleased with you. But seeing you now I can also say nice to meet you. You are really handsome.”

Hyukjae tries hard not to blush or show a reaction. But the upcoming anxiety of meeting Siwon overpowers everything.

“Minho-shi, where is Siwon Hyung?”

“Kyu, call me Hyung, ok? I am not that old. Your addressing makes me feel uncle. Siwon is in his room. Upstairs, this way.” Minho leads them to the stairs.

“He is still quite weak. We are trying to keep him away from his study and work. But it is like without work he will die. Pathetic university student. If I could go back to my student life, I would have chilled the whole day”

Kyu laughs and joins the conversation with Minho about outings and video games. Hyukjae can’t pay attention. With every step, his heart beat faster. But there is no reason for his anxiety. Just before the door of Siwon’s room, Kyu suddenly says

“I need to use the washroom, Minho Hyung”

“Sure, this way.”

“Hyuk ah, you go ahead and meet Siwon Hyung first”

Though Hyukjae can feel Kyu’s unnecessary evil moves, he is too engrossed in his anxiety. Seeing them leave for the washroom, Hyukjae takes a deep breath and knocks on the door in front of him.

“Come in” A weak but warm voice speaks out.

Hyukjae enters slowly.

“Hyung, I told you several times you don’t need to knock on my door. You are always welcome.” Siwon says without looking up from the laptop.

Hyukjae begins to feel irritated instead of anxious now. Why a sick person is in his laptop instead of resting? He moves forward and shuts the laptop harshly.

“What the---- Hyukjae????!!!!!!”

“I thought you are sick. “

“What are you doing here? No, why are you here?”

“No work till you get well. No missing meal. Only rest and sleep”

Siwon is totally dumbfounded. What’s going on?

“Hyukjae, why are you here?”

“No talk. Is it the hobby of rich people to work even when they are sick?”

“I am a student. I still don’t earn money. I am just preparing for earning money.”

“Ok, but rest for some days.”

"Hyukjae, why are you here?”

“To see a patient “

“A patient?”

“Yes. A patient who saves my friend Kyu”

“A patient that you hate so much. Only if I was not there for Kyu that day”

Hyukjae looks at Siwon and can feel the sadness in his heart. Just then, Minho enters with juices and fruits for them.

“Kyu left. He said he has something to do for Yesung.”

“Hyung, I don’t want to eat or drink now. And Hyukjae doesn’t want to stay here. Please see him out for me.”

Hyukjae glances at Minho uneasily. He feels his eyes are tearing up. Minho gets the situation and puts the tray on the table.

“I will be downstairs. Call me if you need anything.” -Minho leaves.

“Drink Siwon. It is important for your health”

“I can’t be harsh on you. Please leave. I don’t want to get hurt again either.”

Siwon sighs showing his disappointment. Hyukjae feels so stupid. He whispers

“I don’t hate you Siwon”

Surprised Siwon looks at Hyukjae with questions in his eyes.

“I don’t hate you. It is just I am afraid.” Hyuk says in a hesitant voice.

“Afraid of what Hyukjae?” Siwon asks in a gentle but curious voice.

“I lost my family in a span of a day. If Kyu was not there, I may have lost my existence in this world. I am afraid of losing my people, Siwon.”

Siwon looks at Hyukjae wholeheartedly. He grabs Hyukjae’s hand and pulls him closer to wrap him in a warm hug.

“Hyukjae, can you give me an opportunity to be with you forever, at least to try?”

Tears roll down and hyukjae tightens his arms around Siwon to hide his face, slowly nodding his head in affirmative.