Chapter 2

Life is all about second chance

Hyukjae sighed in front of the administration office. He was lucky to get a scholarship from Seoul National University (SNU). He was never a bad student but his dream was always to be a doctor. All the circumstances in the past month completely crushed him emotionally. Just in a span of two days, he became a total orphan. That night in the hospital when he was finally received his parents and sister’s body, he realized he lost all of his family members. He was the most pathetic 18 years old who had no money, no home, and no person of his own. No, he was wrong. He got a person who was there with him still. That’s his best friend Kyuhyun. After that day, Hyukjae shut himself down from all the people except Kyuhyun. Truly speaking, he had nothing to share anymore. Nothing to feel. He just realized that day he had to live his life all on his own. What more bad could happen to him than these? He still got himself and Kyuhyun, right? And a part-time job in the roadside café. That was another hope for him at least he had some earnings. He didn’t cry at all. He didn’t have tears in him anymore. Kyuhyun forced Hyukjae to live with him. Kyuhyun’s parent was not rich but their income was well-off. They were kind to poor Hyukjae. But that kindness didn’t touch Hyukjae. He forgot every human feeling. Life was very unfair to him. However, the admission chance at the school of pharmacy in SNU may be the compensation of nature to him. Today he came to the administration office to claim his dormitory room. His scholarship offered him to share a room in the university dormitory. But somehow he couldn’t manage to get it still, so he was hoping to request the school secretary for the room. Living with Kyuhyun’s family was a blessing but Hyukjae felt burdened. So he decided to shift to the dormitory as soon as he could.

“Are you looking for someone? “

Hyukjae turned left only to find a handsome tanned skin boy in front of him. The boy may be the same age as him or maybe one or two year senior, but the handsomeness could beat any Hollywood celebrity. Well, Hyukjae couldn’t think any of these. He starred at the boy dumbly for a few seconds before asking “Are you talking to me?”

“Yes, as you see there is nobody here without you. Are you looking for someone?” The boy asked again with a gentle voice holding a smile on his handsome face.

“Yes, I was hoping to meet Mr. Jung “

“Oh, Mr. Jung is on leave today. May I ask you why you were looking for him?”

“No. Thanks for the information.”

Hyukjae turned around to leave when the boy started talking again.

“I am Choi Siwon. I am a vice-resident of the student welfare union. You can tell me why you need Mr.Jung if it's nothing too personal. “

“Student welfare Union?”

“Yes. I am a sophomore student in the Finance department. Because of my volunteering works, I was elected as vice president this year. I can help you if it is your problem related to academic affairs”

Hyukjae sighed and decided to tell him about the dormitory room. After hearing Hyukjae, Siwon went to the dormitory office to understand what’s the actual matter. Hyukjae followed him. The dormitory office told them Hyukjae didn’t report in time, so didn’t allocate him any room. And also the room was all filled. Honestly, normal Hyukjae could have felt disappointed. But this Hyukjae was a robot. He didn’t fill anything as it was the normal incident to happen. Hyukjae bowed to the clerk, then to Siwon, and started walking towards the door. Apparently, Siwon stopped him.

“Could you please check if there is any room in the dormitory? I think I heard a senior of the exchange program was supposed to leave a week ago. “

Hyukjae looked at Siwon dumbly who was talking with the clerk but told nothing.

After checking through his computer, the clerk said

“you are right Siwon shi. I am sorry. I came back just now from a 10-day leave. I didn’t know”

Siwon flashed the most beautiful smile to the clerk and thanked him. The clerk gave Hyukjae the documents that needed to be filled. After all the formalities, Hyukjae got the room card. Siwon was still there. He felt the need of saying thank you to the vice-president of the student welfare union. And he did say it.

“Thank you for your help”

“No problem. It's my pleasure. Hyukjae” Startled Hyukjae looked at him.

“I saw you filling the documents. You are quite a bright student”. A gentle smile was always there while he was talking.

Yes, robot Hyukjae said nothing and bowed. He got out of the dormitory office leaving Siwon behind.

He headed to Kyuhyun’s home to pack up and say goodbye to his only family. Kyuhyun’s family never agreed to his leaving but Hyukjae was stubborn. Kyuhyun apparently knew him too well and he managed to convince his family. He didn’t have many things to pack. Kyuhyun was not there. He said thank you with great gratitude to them and promised to visit them whenever he got time. He left behind the house, the only family he has after losing everything, for a new address. He stood in front of the dormitory building. The sun was about to set. He looked at his key card. There, his new room number, 611.