'20 break

First Sem: Finals Assessment

Karina


I went to school with a heavy head and heart. 

I was really scared last night, especially when I read heejin's message. 

I know, baka minor injury lang siya but I can't avoid being worried, there are injuries that may cause a permanent effect on the person, diba? That thought was the instant reaction that lingered on my mind.

I quickly sent ning a message, so giselle can be informed. It took me a couple of minutes pa to walk towards my closet and wear something decent. 

I badly want— need to see winter that time. 

 

******
 

I quickly called kuya pancho and instructed him to drive me to school. I saw the confusion in his eyes, probably wondering bakit ang aga namin umalis. 

We're on our way to the campus when my phone rings, it's ningning. 

"What is it? What happened to her?" 

"Giselle's driving, sis. She's being transferred na sa hospital." 

Hospital?! 

"Ha?! Why? What hospital? Ano daw bang nangyari?" 

"We still don't know, I'll send you the details na lang. We'll wait for you." 

I looked at our driver's side before speaking. 

"Kuya, can you drive us to the hospital na malapit dun sa school?" 

"Dun na lang po, ma'am?" 

"Yes po, kuya. If you can, paki-bilis po sana."

I'm just chanting in my head na sana okay lang siya and hoping that it wasn't a serious one.

I rushed to the emergency room, ning messaged me. Nandun daw sila pati si winter. 

I was panting when I reached the area and I immediately saw the two. Ning was the first one to recognize me, she pulled me to sit beside her while giselle is standing in front of us. 

"Where is she? Okay na ba siya? What happened? ba?" 

I spat those questions one after another. There's so many thoughts running in my mind right now. 

"Giselle! Anong nangyare kay cael?" 

The three of us looked at where did the voice came from. 

"Ate Seul, kumalma ka muna." 

That was rj, kasama pala nila ni hyunjin si ate seulgi. 

She sat two seats away from us, breathing in and out, trying to fix the way she breathes. 

"The doctor said, it's nothing serious daw po. Dinala lang siya dito para masarado yung cut sa side ng ulo niya, kaya kailangan ng guardian, Ate Seul." 

All of us released a sigh of relief. Thank God, walang masamang nangyare. 

"Bakit daw ba nagkaroon ng ganun si ter?" 

Hyunjin asked. 

"Kanina nandito yung isang teammate niya pati coach, kaso pinauwi na din ni bub kasi anong oras na, ayaw pa nga umalis eh." 

Ningning answered, giving us an information.

"Apparently, nagscrimmage sila para ireview daw yung mga play. Kaso masyado yata silang nadala, dinedefend daw ni winter yung teammate niya, pagtalon nila both nasiko daw si winter sa side nung ulo niya kaya nagkaroon ng cut dun, napalalim lang tsaka napalaki kasi malakas yung impact." 

Giselle said kaya nakahinga na kami lahat ng maluwag. I saw rj squeezed Ate Seulgi's shoulder. 

The doctor came out of the room and talked to us. 

"Excuse me, sino po ang guardian ni Ms. Kim?" 

"Ako po, Doc." 

Ate Seulgi stood up from her seat and approached the doctor. They talked for a while, discussing things like what they will do sa surgery, they need to do a few test and exam din para daw maka-sure sila sa situation ni winter pero so far nothing serious naman daw. 

"Can we see her?" 

I asked the doctor, hoping na he would say yes. 

"Of course, gising naman siya ngayon pero we injected anesthesia na for her operation. We just need to settle the papers then we'll do the surgery." 

I felt a hand on my shoulder, si Ate Seulgi pala.

"Sige na, karina. Puntahan mo na yun, tsaka ko na sesermunan." 

She said with a soft smile, I returned the smile and uttered a small 'thank you po' then I walked towards the room. 

When I turned the knob and opened the door, winter looked at my direction. 

I closed my eyes for a moment. I saw the cut on her head, malinis na siya and I can see that it's really deep, medyo mahaba nga din. 

She's still in her training attire and her shirt is covered in blood, probably from the cut. I opened my eyes again, para akong nanghihina pero she's just smiling na parang walang nangyare sa kanya. 

"Hey.." 

"Winter, you're so annoying." 

"Malas ng partner mo kapag athlete. Kahit may injury na inaaway mo pa rin." 

"Look at yourself! You're covered in blood pero nakangiti ka like nothing happened! Nakakainis!" 

"Hey, hey, okay lang ako. Normal lang 'to." 

She pulled me and gestured to sit on the chair beside her. 

She held my hand and played with it. 

"Malayo kaya sa bituka 'to." 

Nakakainis talaga! How could she joke in times like this? Worried nga ako ng grabe kanina tapos tumatawa lang siya dito. 

"I swear.. kung di ka lang talaga injured." 

"Joke lang, nagagalit ka nanaman. Mukha ka tuloy kwek-kwek eh." 

"That was mean! If I looke like a kwek-kwek, well, you look like a dog!"

She's just laughing and I don't know if I'll laugh na din pero naiinis pa rin ako sa kanya. 

"Pero seryoso, I'm sorry.." 

"Sorry? For what?" 

"For making you worried. Tignan mo, nandito ka tuloy. Dapat mamaya pa tayo magkikita eh." 

"Heejin messaged me, kaya ko nalaman. Of course, I'll be worried."

"Syempre, mawawalan ka ng partner sa project eh." 

"Ah, ganon? Fine. Bye na pala." 

"Ang pikon mo talaga kwek-kwek." 

"Okay, that's it. Let go of my hand, kwek-kwek pala ha." 

"Ayoko nga. Sino kasama mo sa labas?" 

"Your friends, ning, and Ate Seulgi. Why?" 

She scrunhed her nose at the mention of her cousin.

"Sabi ko wag na tawagan si Ate Seul eh, matanda na kaya ako." 

"Takot ka ba kay Ate Seulgi?" 

She raised her brows while looking at me and pouts slightly.

"Di ah! Anong takot? Baka si Ate Seul yung takot sakin." 

I laughed at her, di pala takot ha, let's see mamaya if it's true. 

We talk about what happened and how did she got injured, sabi niya it was an accident and it's normal daw talaga. She was injured before daw pero hindi ganito kalala, mostly mild sprains and other mild injuries lang din.

She's telling the story animatedly and I can't help but to find her cute. Mukha talaga siyang aso but, a cute one. 

Ay! Mukha siyang puppy!

If she'll tease me kwek-kwek, I'll call her puppy na lang. Kala niya siya lang ah. 

She finished telling me the whole situation that happened. I leaned my head on her shoulders and she keeps on playing with my hand. 

"Will you be okay? Sa surgery?" 

"Oo naman. Mas kabado pa nga ako kay Ate Seul, hehe." 

Natawa ulit ako. I thought, si Ate Seulgi yung takot sa kanya? 

We stayed like that for a few minutes until a nurse came in, informing us that the surgery will take place na. 

"I need to go na. I'll wait for you sa labas, 'kay?" 

Tinanguan niya lang ako while her thumb is caressing the back of my hand. I smiled at her and she does the same thing. I stood up ang walk towards the door, I looked back and she's still smiling so, ngumiti din ako sa kanaya before going out.

I'm still anxious about the surgery but, I know na kayang kaya naman ni winter yun. 

When I got out from her room, umupo ulit ako dun sa pwesto ko kanina. Giselle asked me kung okay lang ba si winter. I told them na there's nothing to wory na. Ning even teased me and it lightened the mood. We just settled on the chairs as we wait patiently for her surgery to finish.

 

******
 

This day is tiring. 

I just listened to our professors and done the activities lazily. 

My mind keeps wondering and worrying about winter. 

Last night after the surgery, they examined winter and may pinagawang mga tests sa kanya. This is what we heard earlier na sinasabi nung doctor kay Ate Seulgi. Winter needs to undergo those examinations pa para maka-sure sila na she's really okay since the head is a dangerous part to be injured, bumped, and all.

They found out that winter has a mild concussion din.

She was advised to take a break from training and physical activities. She needs to rest din daw so di muna siya papasok for a week. She's also not allowed to use phone for the next 3 days and reduce screen time for the rest of the days remaining while she's on break.

Buti na lang her friends update me. Giselle said na she's talking with Ate Seulgi to ask for updates, she'll do it until winter gets back daw. 

She even offered to give Ate Seulgi's number para daw makausap ko din 'to but I refused. 

I'm just her friend lang din naman, although sometimes we're flirting with each other, I really don't know kung ano kami. 

So now I'm just sitting here at home, watching the second episode of Nevertheless. I heard this is about a toxic relationship, I remembered how ning gushed about the male lead pero she said that the side characters are more entertaining to watch. Sila pa daw yung nagdala nung series.

To be honest I can't fully concentrate on watching. My mind goes to winter.

What is she doing right now?

Kumain na ba siya?

Is she sleeping?

What if she gets bored? 

I sound so pathetic right now. We're just friends! Bakit ba ako nagwoworry, as if girlfriend niya ako?

Siguro I'm just way too comfortable na we'll get to see each other every night, talk about how our day went and tthe random things in between. 

I'm slightly getting scared because nasasanay na ako. 

 

I woke up to the sound of my phone, it keeps on ringing and vibrating on my side. Nakatulog pala ako, when I saw the tv, episode 4 na yung nagpplay. I reached for it and checked the notifications and messages.

There are three messages and one notification from my email. The messages are from our groupchat, ning, and an unknown number?

Opened the messages from our groupchat, my friends told me na tignan ko yung message ni ning. 

I tapped on ning's message and she told me na the unknown number who texted me is her bubba. 

Okay, 'edi siya na yung may bubba. 

After reading ningning's text, I tapped on the giselle's message naman. I added her muna sa contact list ko.

 

Messages

Ning's Bubba 

From Ning's Bubba: Hey, karina. It's giselle. 

From Ning's Bubba: I hope you don't mind, kinuha ko yung number mo kay yizhuo para ma-update kita kay winter.

To Ning's Bubba: hi! you don't really have to pero thank you :)

From Ning's Bubba: It's fine. Tatawagan pala namin si Ate Seulgi mamaya, sama ka?

To Ning's Bubba: no, no. Okay na ako, just update me na lang if you need help or ano.

From Ning's Bubba: Alright. Hyunjin and rj wants to have a gc na kasama kayo nila bub and yeji. Is it okay?

To Ning's Bubba: okay lang naman for me, add me na lang or tell ning to add me 

From Ning's Bubba: Well, ako kasi yung nahihiya. Magugulo sila kahit sa chat eh. 🥴

To Ning's Bubba: it's fine, medyo sanay na ako sa kanila eh hahahaha

 

She replied pa pero I didn't respond na. She'll give me updates na lang naman daw. 

Good thing na it's saturday tomorrow. There's no classes and thankfully, tapos na ako sa mga paperworks and requirements na pinapagawa. I'll submit it na lang bukas. 

I'll watch vlogs na nga lang to kill the time, it's still early to sleep pa din naman, 8pm pa lang.

 

******
 

Study habits, room makeover, cats and many more. That's what I've watched fo the past hours. 

I'm currently watching a vlogger's shopee haul or finds when giselle messaged me again.

They just finished talking with Ate Seulgi daw, winter is with them pala, like nandun sa bahay nila ni Ate Irene and their kid. 

Giselle told me din na nagsumbong daw si Ate Seulgi sa kanya because winter kept on complaining and insisting na she wants to play basketball and go back na sa training because okay lang naman daw siya. 

She's so passionate about basketball and that's very attractive but sometimes ang tigas din ng ulo niya.

I asked giselle if ano lang ginagawa nung bestfriend niya magdamag, she told me na parang buong araw daw natulog si winter. 

Giselle even told me na sabi ni Ate Seulgi, tuwang tuwa anak nila ate because she's with tata pogi again. All day daw nakipagkwentuhan yung anak niya kay winter.

I smiled. I remembered the time na we went to her lola's house, she's so natural with kids.

Giselle told me na that's basically how winter's day went, I have nothing to worry naman talaga. Ayaw lang mawala sa system ko nung kaba and all. 

I thought tapos na kami mag-usap pero she messaged me again. 

 

Messages

Ning's Bubba

From Ning's Bubba: Kakatext lang ni Ate Seul, send ko daw 'to sayo.

From Ning's Bubba: [sent an attachment]

 

I opened the attachment. 

It's a photo of winter, facing her right side, sleeping like a baby. 

Good, Lord. Bakit ang cute?!

Nakakainis! 

Nakakainis talaga!

Happy crush lang 'to eh, sure ako. Kaya it's okay lang na kiligin. It will go away din, eventually.