Dyspnea

Perfect Nurse

HyeSoo hopped into the back of the car, welcoming the soft hug of the leather seats openly. It was just a few minutes drive to the hospital from here, not enough time for a proper nap. 

 
With a tired yawn, she stretched her arms. She momentarily took the time to glance out at the building sweeping past. They were moving so quickly, why did it seem like it was taking forever to get where she wanted to be?
 
After what seemed like ages, the car stopped. Energetically, she opened the car door and dashed to the entrance. When she arrived, she was breathing heavily. She checked in at the front desk, talking with small gasps. What was wrong with her? She'd done this thousands of times.
 
They traveled slowly, ever so slowly, to the elevator. HyeSoo found herself tapping impatiently on the railing that lined the walls. Her breaths were short and quick, as if she couldn't get quite enough air. 
 
What exactly was taking so long? Were the walls moving in? She shook her head, pushing away the suspicions creeping up into her mind.
 
Ding!
 
Thankfully, HyeSoo stepped out of the enclosed box and headed to the oh-so-familiar test room. They were doing a simple CBC, complete blood count. Her fever had jumped up a bit yesterday, and her parents were overreacting, like always.
 
As soon as she crossed the door threshold, she was bombarded with worried questions.
 
"How are you feeling, sweetheart?"
 
"Are you tired?"
 
"Are you feeling hot?"
 
HyeSoo's mother reached to touch her forehead, but HyeSoo graciously evaded her. "I'm fine, really," she murmured with a smile. 
 
Goodness, just what exactly were they afraid of? She was good for almost another forty years, and that was bound to increase even more! ... The doctor himself had said so...
 
"Ma, dad, is it alright if I go after this?" She tried to make it sound casual.
 
HyeSoo's father looked at her disapprovingly. "Where?"
 
"Oh, just a baseball game.. You know, Minwoo's..."
 
HyeSoo held out her arm, signaling to her family nurse that she was ready to have her blood taken.
 
"HyeSoo, how did this happen?"
 
The highschooler looked at her nurse, surprised, "What?"
 
"This bruise, it's pretty bad.."
 
She followed her nurse's gaze and saw a big dark circle on her upper arm. She thought for a moment, then shook her head. Nothing had hit her there in a long while, except for HyoYeon, of course.
 
At this fleeting thought, HyeSoo froze. But HyoYeon always hit her lightly.. surely it wasn't from that nudge earlier? HyeSoo shook her head and lied, "I must've bumped into the doorframe again."
 
"Ahh, alright, then. Just be careful, okay?"
 
"I will~" HyeSoo beamed up at her nurse innocently.
 
"See, you're sick," HyeSoo's mother her hair lovingly.
 
HyeSoo smiled up at her mother, ignoring the prick in her arm, and said jokingly, "Mom, I'm always sick."
 
HyeSoo's father didn't seem to catch the humor in the statement. "Precisely why you shouldn't be hanging around that boy. He's always dragging you places."
 
"Alright, you're done. Sit for a while if you feel lightheaded." 
 
All three in the family nodded to the nurse kindly.
 
"Dad..." HyeSoo turned to her father again and pleaded, "It'll take forever for the test to go through. The ER looked busy today." She blinked up at him with large eyes, unconsciously tensing her muscles with anticipation.
 
Her mother began to speak, but her father got to it first, "I suppose you-"
 
Deciding that she'd sat long enough, HyeSoo leaped off the examination table and hugged her father. "Thank you so much!" Then, she took off.

I'm honestly not in the mood to do all of my fancy editing with the font today. x.x Just re-upping the lost chapters.