Childhood: Giwajib

The Dokkaebi - Vol. 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Yoongi

 

Why had that strange boy stared at him like as if he had never seen a boy in the market before? Yoongi could not clearly see his face, because he was further away, but he noticed that he got stared at by him. Anyway, Yoongi had shown him his tongue and his menacing look. He held Song Il-Kook’s hand and walked with him through the bazaar all satisfied and happy. Yes, he was finally happy again.

They left the bazaar and went through a noble area of Gongju. Only the richest people lived here. The crazy rich people, some who could leave Gongju and explore the outside world of the kingdom.

At the end of the neighborhood, they came to a Giwajib, a blue tiled Hanok, with a huge garden which was a housing only for nobleman or people from a higher rank.

“Close your mouth, Yoongi”, said Song Il-Kook with a smile.

Yoongi did as he was ordered to. He was amazed by the home of his new companion.

“You... you live here?”, he asked shyly.

Song Il-Kook smiled at him and nodded. He seemed fatherly. He was caring and gentle with all his words and tasks.

“And you live here too now, with me.”, he added, “And maybe someone else will join us.”

Yoongi was pleasantly surprised. He did not expect such a living. Yes, Song Il-Kook was well dressed and from a higher position indeed. Yet, Yoongi did not ask him about his rank or employment. Was he a leading officer or maybe the right hand of the king? Maybe he was a successful Inn-owner.

Yoongi would live in a Giwajib now. Was it a dream was it for real? Was the terrible time finally over? Fate smiled at his face for once.

Song Il-Kook opened the large white gate in front of the beautiful, traditionally built, blue Giwajib. As they came closer and closer with each step the little boy’s curiosity became greater. Song Il-Kook whistled while he slowed down their pace. Yoongi could take a little more time to admire the large front yard. A little fountain with a white plaster and a beautiful chiseled white bench in front of it decorated the garden. The bench glittered in the sunlight and a narrow, white gravel path led to it. The grass was saturated with green, so each blade of grass reflected the sunlight. Wine red and white flowers filled every corner of the beautiful garden. It was a breathtaking moment for the little boy, as he had never been in an area like this before. His father was an officer of a medium rank, so they kept living in a normal house.

Finally, they entered the Giwajib. As expected, everything was expensive. Way too luxurious for Yoongi’s taste, but he would have to live with it. The entire building smelled like Jinko, a Japanese odor, maybe it was Kyara, the most expensive one. Song Il-Kook led him to a room upstairs. It was weird, since normally these houses were all only having one floor. The stairs that led up were black but shiny. Probably made of marble, it was not ordinary for people in Gongju to have marble in their housings, but Song Il-Kook seemed to be broad-minded. Maybe he had travelled the world already. Paintings of famous artists adorned the walls. Plants stood in every corner and decorated their surroundings with their very strong, beautiful colors. At the bottom of the stairs was a corner specially furnished for a Gayageum and a Haegeum. So, it seemed like the nobleman played these instruments. There was not a single speck of dust anywhere in this house, but there were no servants anywhere around.

When they arrived upstairs the nobleman slid open a door.

“This here is your room from today on.”, said Song Il-Kook with a gentle voice.

Yoongi could not believe it. He glanced into the huge room. It just had to be a dream. Yesterday everything was so different. The room, like any other, was huge, warm, and invitingly furnished. The whole Giwajib had a floor heating. The wall was covered with petal hangings. There was a large futon at the window. Also, a little desk with a cushion on the mahogany floor. Two cabinets along the wall filled the room. The wall opposite was made of one big mirror.

Yoongi would live like a king, at least it looked like it.

“If you want, we can arrange the room according to your likings.”, suggested Song Il-Kook, “And of course, we have to buy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter