Childhood: Bazaar

The Dokkaebi - Vol. 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Yoongi

 

Raindrops slowly fell from the sky. The wind blew lightly over the wet hill. The rustling noise of the deciduous trees were calm and gentle. Yoongi twitched his fingers and opened slowly his eyes. The back of his head felt extremely wet. He was lying on his back. He had some raindrops running down his face, neck, and arms. Yoongi’s face was dirty. He knew that all that he had experienced in the last few days was no dream. Yoongi sat up slowly and breathed in the fresh autumn air. For a second, he felt free from worries. But somehow, he knew that it was not over yet.

He had to go back home straight away. Maybe his father was already waiting for him. Maybe his little brother was already standing in the door. Just maybe…

Yoongi ran down the hill with all his hope. He rushed home through the bazaar. As soon as he arrived, he noticed a young woman in their garden. She removed the wet laundry from the leash. Yoongi didn't know her, and he was sure she is not a maid either. Hesitantly he went up to her and asked politely who she is. The woman looked down at him for a moment, then she ignored him. She was busy collecting her laundry. She would have to wash it all again, since the rain poured down on it. Yoongi waited for a moment but as the woman did not answer him, he passed her and tried to open the front door.

“What are you doing there?”, the woman scolded and grasped Yoongi's wrist forcibly.

“I want to come in. I live here.”, answered the little boy still calm.

The woman suddenly laughed mockingly as if the boy had cracked a joke.

“Do you live here? Well, you are misinformed my little one.”, she replied with a scornful laugh.

“But I live here!”, Yoongi contradicted.

“Where are your parents?”, asked the woman, a little worried, “Are you a street-kid, trying to steal my jewelry?!”

She seemed a little suspicious. She believed that Yoongi was one of the many street boys who went out to rob the housings.
Yoongi clenched his fists.

“I am not a street-kid!”, he said angrily, “My father is officer Jung Yunho. He is looking for my brother. My mother is... is ... gone.”

He could not utter the word "dead" because that would mean that he accepts the fact that his mother had died. He did not want to believe in Bona’s death.

“Oh really?”, the woman asked incredulously and waved with her hand, “Boy, get out of here! Get lost! The House of the Jung is mine now. I bought it, so I live here. The Jung family is dead! At least… Bona.”

“No! I am not dead! Neither is my father! And my brother, Taehyung- He…”, Yoongi yelled at the woman, however his voice failed at the thought of Taehyung.

The woman ignored him again. She did not want to waste her precious time on a little snotty-nosed boy. The household would not take care of itself.
Yoongi just could not believe it. Who sold their house? How would someone have the right to sell your house without your consent? Just last night he had snuggled with his mother in their home, now it belonged to someone else. Maybe Yunho had returned earlier and sold the house? Perhaps it was true that he purposely had left his family. Maybe Yunho wanted to lead a life without the responsibility of taking care of his family. All these thoughts occurred in the little boy’s head. Yoongi clenched both hands into firm fists, punched the woman's thighs and immediately ran away. She cursed after him but did not stick to it.

Yoongi ran through the market without knowing where he was heading to. He had no relatives left at all, because they were all killed in the war against the Black Army. Previously, he had lived with his family in Sujong, a huge village behind the dark forest. All his relatives housed there happily. But one day, countless fighters of the Black Army turned up and attacked the idyllic village. Everything and everyone that got in their way, was destroyed, or killed. Men were killed immediately; women were first. The children were abducted and either sold as slaves or brainwashed into becoming a fighter of the Black Army. Yoongi, Taehyung, Bona and Yunho just had managed to flee back then, but all their relatives had not made it. After the attack, everything was in rubble. The village no longer existed. Back then Yoongi was around four years old. So, he remembered only vaguely of the events. Sujong was still in ruins. The village now belonged to the Black Army. Some survivors tried to move back and build a life there again, but it was simply impossible. The fighters of the Black Army would catch everyone trying to break into their territory and they would leave nobody alive. There was absolutely nothing left there. A rumor had also spread, that strange creatures were wandering around the empty streets of Sujong. People feared them as well now.

Yoongi was still strolling through the bazaar of Gongju. Everything was different here. "Untouched" by the Black Army, everything seemed so peaceful and beautiful. But not for Yoongi anymore. Nothing was "peaceful" in the capital of the kingdom at all. Nothing was beautiful. Yoongi now expected a similar ending to Gongju one day, j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter