Childhood: Birthday

The Dokkaebi - Vol. 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Yoongi & Taehyung

Gongju, 8 years ago

 

 

Taehyung was about two years younger than his brother, seven to be exact. He had short, black hair and his eyes were emerald. Taehyung was partially blind. He could not see anything, except on sunny days. On bright days he could see some colors. But he was not blind from birth. It happened when he was about two years old. Yoongi unintentionally put unattended toxic liquid into the eyes of his little brother and thereby the lights of Taehyung’s eyes were gone.

Yoongi was a ten-year-old, extremely pushy, and sometimes a very sentimental child. His jet-black hair was tied to a short braid at the nape of his neck. A few strands covered his forehead. His eyes sparkled pitch black. They looked threatening and had nevertheless something warm to them.

It was a long exhausting evening. The blue shards of the once beautiful vase which was a gift of the late grandmother were now scattered on the wet kitchen floor. The flowers partially floated in the little pond created by the broken vase.

"What have you guys been up to again?!", Yunho frowned and scolded his older son.

Yoongi immediately looked at his younger brother with a quite accusatory expression. Taehyung on the other hand listened to his father’s words attentively. He was a little frightened too. Bona, their mother, swept the broken shards and collected them so that no one would be injured later. She was very sad about the little accident. The vase was wedding gift from hers recently deceased mother. It was expensive too, decorated with a green and gold pattern and made of porcelain.

"What do you have to say in your defense?", asked Yunho.

He crossed his arms and was still looking at Yoongi.

"I did not do anything", his older son replied.

"I did not want that to happen. For real. I am very apologetic.", the younger one asked to be excused.

Yunho briefly exchanged glances with Bona, and then shook his head: “You should take care of your brother, Yoongi. Both of you, go to your room immediately! You are banned from playing!"

Yoongi could not believe it. He clenched both his fists and angrily left the kitchen to head to their bedroom. Yunho noticed the anger of his older son by the sheer way he just walked away. Yoongi literally stomped off. The sight of it was funny. He was just a kid, yet very short-tempered. Taehyung quickly followed his brother. He felt his way into their bedroom.

"I am sorry", he apologized to his brother.

Yoongi ignored him, lay down in bed, and turned his back at the little boy. He was annoyed that their parents always accused him. No matter what happened in this house he was held responsible for it. Taehyung felt his way to his brother’s bed. Yoongi’s anger darkened the atmosphere of the whole room.

"I am really sorry", Taehyung tried again.

"Yeah... it is alright", Yoongi whispered, although he was still angry, “I just do not understand why it is always me to be blamed…"

Taehyung did not know how to respond to that. Instead, he sat down on his brother’s bed and poked Yoongi’s arm. His brother insisted on ignoring him, thus Taehyung tried changing the subject.

“Tomorrow is my birthday, brother. I am turning eight. Have you already got me a present?”, he wanted to know.

Yoongi turned around and sat up.

"Yes, I have. Do you want it now?”, he told his little brother.

Taehyung's eyes shone with curiosity. Of course, he did! He nodded like crazy, both hands clasped in front of his chest. Yoongi got out of bed and took the package he hid earlier in the wardrobe. The gaze of Taehyung was set on him, although the boy hardly could see. The room was way too dark.

"Here.", Yoongi whispered and handed him the package, “Actually, mother said I should give it to you on your birthday, otherwise it will be bad luck... So, do not tell her that I gave it to you already."

Taehyung immediately took the package. He ripped the paper and opened it. There were two necklaces in it. They were made of pure gold. Each had one pendant which could be opened.

"What is that?", Taehyung asked curiously and carefully touched the chains.

Yoongi took out one of them and put it on his brother's neck. The second one he kept to himself. His little brother noticed this and replied immediately that it was his present. He never shared his things with anyone. Rarely he let his older brother play with his toys, only reluctantly.

"There are two pieces, you dummy", replied Yoongi a little late and went on, “This one is mine. Here, open up the pendant."

Taehyung did as his brother commanded. Something was engraved in the pendant. He it with his little fingers.

"My name is in it", Yoongi informed his confused little brother, "And here, mine has yours."

He made him touch the engravings.

"How nice, ... thank you brother!", Taehyung said.

He seemed very much disappointed. He would be a lot happier if it was a toy. A slingshot for example. But in the end, he was happy about every gift.

"Let us never take these off, alright?", Yoongi asked with a smile.

Taehyung nodded with a big grin and whispered: “I will never ever take it off. Promise!"

"Well, I swear I will never take it off, either.", Yoongi swore.

Taehyung smiled again, hugged him tight and left to his own bed. Even though he could not see anything, Taehyung knew their house inside and out. The contours of the items were difficult to see, but all the years spent in this building made it easier for the boy to move around. He hugged his stuffed fox and went to sleep. Yoongi switched off his lamp and closed his eyes.

"Good night", they both whispered at the same time, what made them laugh.

Their voices were already very sleepy, and they fell asleep immediately.

About an hour later, Yunho briefly investigated the room of his sons. He checked up on them, if they were really fast asleep. He covered both thoroughly, gently patted their heads, turned off Taehyung's lamp and left the warm room. He kept the door ajar.

"Are they asleep yet?", Bona asked him when he came back to the living room.

She was sitting on the sofa reading a book called "Dokkaebi". Yunho joined her and put his arm around her shoulders.

"Yes, they are.”, he replied and kissed his wife's forehead.

Bona nodded satisfied and kept reading. Yunho could not understand why his wife liked these books about ancient times and mythology.

"Should I have the vase repaired?", he asked and tried to catch her attention.

"Repair?”, Bona laughed sadly, "Forget it. I already have disposed of the shards."

"But ... it is from your mother", said Yunho with a concerned expression.

Bona put the book aside and stood up. She grabbed Yunho's hand and led him into the room of their children.

"Why did you bring me here?", he asked in a whisper with one of his brows raised.

"Look at them", she replied with a soft smile, "I admire them, especially Yoongi."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter